1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are certain political views sinful?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got to interject. Revmitchell is not a pacifist. I have met him in real life. I don't know if he disagrees with my post, which will lead to a discussion if he does. However, let's keep things respectful.

2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A agree, on the respectful part. But I do respectfully disagree. He's a pacifist, at least on this one issue.

#22 Calminian, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  3. Calminian

Site Supporter

yeah, hyperbolic. i'll reign that in. you're a pacifist on this one issue.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your concern is how I vote? This is my point exactly. Your focus is all wrong. You put your trust in politicians. You speak of all the good that government and politicians have done. Very little mention of God's mercy in bringing sinners to salvation. And then you complain your politicians, your government, fails to stop the the slaughter of babies in the womb.

Peace to you

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea I don't wish people to be slaughtered. :rolleyes: I'ma pacifist. Good grief

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yeah, I wish pray for both mercy and justice and I'm ungodly. Good grief!

7. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yes, that's what the thread is about. Is voting just some irrelevant thing for the Christian or does it actually have some moral responsibility and relevance. I believe it does. I believe there are political policies that deeply offend God, and that we Christians should act in every way we can to change them.

Voting is a privilege from God. If you are part of an electoral body, you have governing authority, and Paul said all governing authority is from God. If you then cast this authority away, you're casting away a responsibility God gave you. Again, read Romans 13 before you preach about the meaninglessness of politics.

No I trust Paul, who was inspired by the Holy Spirit to write Romans 13. Your beef is with Paul and God, not me.

Guilty as charged. And if the government was coming after you to do you harm, I'd do the same. I'd advocate for the politicians who would protect you, and work to oust the politicians and judges putting your life in danger.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I normally vote for the lesser of two evils. The party with the least amount of innocent blood on their hands usually gets my vote. It's getting to the place where it's hard to call.

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say that involvement with politics is not something that a believer should even bother with, given these commands:

" Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
    4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of [this] life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier."
    ( 2 Timothy 2:3-4 )

" Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15 and what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    16 and what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,
    18 and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
    " ( 2 Corinthians 6:17 ).

"Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." ( 1 John 2:15 )

With the above stated, I stopped voting years ago due to being clearly outnumbered.
    I also now see that my vote for God's ways really makes no difference, as most people aren't ruled, in their consciences, like God's children are.

The saving grace in all of it is that if God wants a nation to go a certain way, He will raise up politicians that will make and enforce laws that keep the peace and that ultimately results in what He wants, being done.
    Since most of mankind is at enmity with Him ( except those of us that are saved ), my own personal conviction is to stay out of their way, pray that God's will be done and for the leaders of my nation, and leave the rest to Him.

However, if any of you feel led to stand against something, then do so.
    I can only tell you why I don't get involved anymore, and it has to do with separation.;)

#29 Dave G, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Calminian

Site Supporter

This I can say for certain. The left celebrates guys like you. They know they can't get you to support them, but they're just as happy seeing you on the sidelines. They work very hard to convince you you're doing the noble thing.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree but to be honest I'm beginning to develop your attitude.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you align politically, you alienate many you should be trying to reach for Christ. You also misrepresent Christ.

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yeah, but that cuts both ways. There are many people who vote morally, but aren't yet saved. There are millions of non-believers who know abortion is wrong and fight it, but they haven't yet found salvation. By turning your back on the unborn, you've ruined your testimony with them.

But even that's all beside the point. It's God who's saves, not men. The idea that you'd do something immoral to get closer to an unbeliever, runs against everything Scripture teaches.

14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I see it as a question of numbers.

Since God's children are outnumbered by default, what makes you think that the majority of mankind can truly be influenced for good by using their methods to persuade them?

Me being on the sidelines makes absolutely no difference in the final outcome.
    That's why I disagree with this statement:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. " - Edmund Burke.

God's will, on the other hand, can influence many things...even evil men's hearts and desires, should He so choose ( Genesis 6:20, Revelation 17:17 ).
    Therefore, the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for God to do nothing.;)

15. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Christian's testimony does not lead to another person's salvation.
    I agree.
    That's why I stated the above.
    I agree.
    On the flip side, doing something moral will get one no closer to an unbeliever, either.

That's why I don't believe in "lifestyle evangelism".

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

Well, I guess then you just sit it out and do nothing. It's your right.

For me, the idea of God is sovereign gives me great encouragement. It makes me want to be a tool in his hand. I agree only God ultimately can do anything. For me that means, I can do great good if I work according to his will.

To put it another way, if the doctrine of sovereignty causes you to sit on the sidelines, maybe you don't really understand it.

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

To put it another way, if it all depends on man, what's the use? We're going to fail. There's really no reason to work. If it all depends on God, however, then there is no reason not to work, knowing He'll accomplish his will, and knowing he uses men to do it. Belief in God's sovereignty should always result in human action.

18. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I stated earlier, it is shameful to attack brothers and sisters in Christ because of politics.

You accuse them of "doing nothing" because they don't believe engaging in politics is the right course. You accuse them of not understanding God's Word or His sovereignty because they believe involvement in politics takes our focus off Christian ministry.

The radical liberal leftists agree with you that the way to spread your beliefs and influence is through the force of the federal government.

Peace to you

19. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yes, you've made that position clear. I think it's shameful to ignore macro political issue which affect millions. It's amazing to me you can't see the good of the political abolition fight a few (quite a few) decades ago. Would you have stayed on the sidelines for that one as well? You really would have stayed on the sidelines and just did nothing will thousands suffered? That's hard to believe you wouldn't have at least casted your vote for freedom.

You are correct I do. And you're trying to make me ashamed about it, ironically.

And they agree with you that you're being noble for staying out of politics and not fighting for the unborn. I think that's worse.

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But visible party affiliation misrepresents Christ. And there's much more innocent blood being shed by both parties than by abortion alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.