1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Christian Bookstores and Printed Bibles Obsolete?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob A

Bob A New Member

I don't think printed Bibles will go away. I'm 63 and read electronic books almost exclusively (Kindle Paperwhite). But, when I'm doing Bible study, I use either a Bible programme on my laptop or a printed Bible(s) and study helps.

I think Christian bookstores (and many other kinds of stores) need to figure out how to adapt or go away. In general, they've been too expensive for a very long time, before even Amazon became so dominant. I'm sure their margins are small, but…. Some combination of physical and online makes sense to me — physical so customers can see, touch, hear, smell but order online in the store with very fast delivery (à la Amazon's same day delivery).

2. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Guess I should have been more specific. I said inspirational, not trashy imported Chinese junk found in the dollar stores.

And personally, I have never bought anything from Amazon.

Part of doing "online" business is the latest touted "convenience", which is just an additional way to voluntarily give up more of your rights to privacy. Some know that and choose the "convenience", some haven't a clue, that is the ultimate big picture.

We are on totally different pages in regard to those comments.

3. naschol

naschol New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really like my digital Bible. I use it everywhere I go, including church. I have arthritis and can't hold a Bible for any length of time in my hands. However, I can't imagine my digital Bible EVER replacing my hardcopy. At home, when I can place it on a table to read it, It is my go to source for reading the Word.

4. Matthew Beech

Matthew Beech New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was this sarcasm or real questions? I can never tell online. I'm assuming you're being facetious, but just in case...

I appeal to false equivalence. The types of stores you mention provide perishable and/or products that cannot be purchased online. Books can, on the other hand, be translated into electronic form without losing their efficacy. The physical books can also be ordered online, often cheaper than in store.

Maybe, just maybe, Amazon will be able to make online grocery shopping viable, but there still remains the need for instant access (oops, forgot to order milk and need it for this recipe).

5. Ken_G

Ken_G New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though I use an electronic Bible on my phone, tablet, and computer, I will always use a printed Bible for devotional reading. There is no substitute for a print Bible in my opinion. It just seems more personal.
    I do believe the brick & mortar stores are on their way out. All the Family Christian bookstores in my area are closing and the online store has already shut down. They can't compete with Amazon's prices or fast shipping. I do like Christian Book Distributors. They are reasonably priced and hopefully will be around for many years to come.

6. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bookstores, by nature, are a fairly capital-intensive business. To attract customers, even a Christian bookstore must carry a wide range of literature rather than stay within a narrow doctrinal stance (even the majority of Bible college and seminary bookstores have gone strictly online), and the overhead is daunting. That's what shuts many of them down, as in the case of the recently departed Family bookstore chain. (Family's business model, which was structured around a level of upselling that would put Hare Krishnas and used-car salesmen to shame, didn't help any since it tended to alienate customers who simply wanted to buy a Bible and get out.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every business adventure begins with a business model and makes changes according to the latest and greatest or competition or hangs on without profit or shuts down.

For example: McDonalds use to be a hamburger, fries, coke joint...they adapted to compete.

I can not speak for nation-wide, but I have had for years two Christian books stores in close proximity to my home, and often had to wait for a parking spot to even get into the store.....and then wait in line to make my purchase.

Again I will reference "convenience", and note, many people I agree opt to shop online, for all kinds of goods, and Bibles and Biblical inspired gifts would be no exception.

The topic is about Christian books stores becoming "obsolete". I think perhaps fewer, but not obsolete.

Like "land-lines", there are certainly fewer in service and perhaps a novelty to a youngster, but not obsolete.

8. John Thomas

John Thomas New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Basically I am an Evangelist. I have bibles in my mobile phone and in my tablet. Digital and electronic reading devices are handy but to meditate it is not applicable. Digital media always distract from one another. I prefer carrying bible to the church for attending services and also while speaking it is easy for us to refer some words in the printed bible rather than in electronic devices. While preparing messages and news letters it is appropriate in Electronic Devices

• Like Like x 1
  9. old feith defender

old feith defender New Member
    Site Supporter

No most Bible scholars prefer a hard copy besides the battery don't run down on them

• Like Like x 2
  10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about for teenagers as they grow older?

11. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suspect fewer and more focused on a particular niche, as in the Catholic bookstores. The Protestant/evangelical "all things to all people" model by nature imploded because of the wide range of belief that falls under that umbrella (say John R. Rice to Brian McLaren).
    (I speak from experience, I've worked for three different bookstores, none of which are in business today.)

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, John. I noticed this is your first post. Welcome to the Baptist Board.

I agree with your point that digital media can be distracting in a way that print media is not.

13. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not aware of "Catholic" bookstores. I have often frequented Christian bookstores, which according to my understanding carries the same Bibles both Catholics and Protestants use.
    I will agree there is a wide teaching gap and method of teaching between Catholics and Protestants, however I believe BOTH teaching methods are directed at Christ is the Way.
    Your experience of having worked for 3 different Christian book stores that are no longer in operation, is not my same experience, but thanks for sharing.
    I have already acknowledge people tend to favor convenience, and electronic Bibles are more convenient than hard copy's of the Bible.
    Personally I have a collection of Bibles from different time periods that are useful to me with no intent of mine to discard them or not reference them.
    :)

14. RustySword

RustySword Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I buy from an online Christian bookstore because of the price. I wish the local stores - including the chain stores - could match their prices, but I just don't think they can because of their overhead.

As for printed Bibles, I sure hope they don't ever become obsolete! All I read are printed copies. I know they take up space - LOTS of space in our case since we have so many of them - but I just can't imagine reading nothing but electronic copies. But then again, I'm old...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaaaaaaaaaand...I just picked up a new bible at Lifeway. CSB Study Bibles were 30% off, which brought it to within a few dollars of amazon.com pricing. First time that I've had one with real leather. I did look long and hard at the new NIV Study Bible, though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaaaand I pre-ordered a book from CBD by Jonathan Pennington on the Sermon on the Mount that beat Amozons price by quite a bit - even with Prime's free shipping!

At least the Christian online suppliers are staying competitive in the market.
    They may be around awhile longer.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The St Louis area is very heavily Catholic, so there are two or three bookstores that I know of that carry ONLY Catholic books and supplies. I don't have any issue going to them because as you said, BOTH are directed at Christ is the Way.
    Now as for the Bibles, Catholic bibles have a number of other texts that Protestant Bibles do not, the "Apocryphal" books. These are either additions to existing OT books (mainly Esther and Daniel) and other books written during the Intertestamental period. These are used as Scriptural support for uniquely Catholic doctrines, such as purgatory (not sure of chapter and verse, but I believe it's in one of the Maccabees books).

18. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks.
    It is my understanding (the Catholic view is) that purgatory is not so much a PLACE, as it is a FINAL purification for believers WHO undergo such purification (ie by fire) just before their final (ie bodily) transformation.

Personally I believe....the faithful are baptized with the Holy Spirit and with the all consuming fire of God. That when we GIVE to him full all consuming control over our "wholeness"...is body, soul & spirit...He KEEPS us unto Him, and we ultimately become His "inheritance".

Luke.3
    1. [16] John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:
    Heb.12
    1. [29] For our God is a consuming fire.
    :)

19. mjjddh

mjjddh New Member
    Site Supporter

As a Catholic, I can attest that Christian bookstores, at least in Oklahoma, rarely carry Catholic bibles, books, and sacramentals. It would be great if they did. On the flip side, Catholic bookstores rarely carry non-Catholic bibles and other Protestant items.

Now, electronic over print? Print -- hands down. I love the feel of the pages and it's more personal to read Sacred Scripture on paper than electronically. For research purposes, electronic works well, but I still prefer to be surrounded by books. I guess I'm old-fashioned.

20. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is a Catholic Bible?
    What would it say on the Cover that would instantly notify a person it is not the Holy Bible, but rather, a Catholic Bible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.