1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Christian Bookstores and Printed Bibles Obsolete?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has the smart phone, the ipad, the ipod, the tables, the Kindle and other electronic reading devices made Christian bookstores and the printed Bible obsolete?

Just curious about your thoughts on this.

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not for me. I just find reading digital media too distracting. SomethingI read will spark a question, and off I go looking for an answer.

Not that I don't enjoy electronic editions. And nothing compares to them when you're writing a research paper. Control F, Control C, and Control V are a indispensable tools.

And having a good study bible app on my phone, and therefore on my person, at all times is great, too. It has definitely increased my opportunities to delve in to scripture.

But, at the end of the day, I want to grab a hard copy. I spent 3 days in the woods last weekend, and a hard copy was essential.

Now, bookstores, Christian or otherwise, I see they are having a hard time competing with amazon. I reckon they'll go the way of movie theaters and gas stations, relying more on the sale of concessions than the sale of actual books.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great question ctb! It looks like the brick and mortar businesses will one day be obsolete!

However, as much as I appreciate the cyber Bible, for me, it will never replace the written word of God.

It is strange to be in church, and when the pastor starts reading scripture, there was a time that the rustling of pages almost sounded like angels wings! And now, you look around, and everyone is tapping on the smart phones to pull up scripture. It is freaky, but encouraging to know that be it paper pages, or text screens, the Word of God is being preached and taught, and the flock is following along.

Again, I find you question to be a probing one ...

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need the tactile sense of paper in the hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mississippi John

A bookstore can't be Christian; can it ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the printed Bible and printed books, they will always be in demand. The exorbitant prices are putting the brick and mortar stores out of business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Obsolete? Christian book store? Probably not.

I take note that "convenience" IS "without much" specific discussion, probably a top ten goal in most households. And funny too, since all the touted "conveniences" are a big cause of "waiting", "frustration" and "stress"...

Specifically to Christian book stores.... Aside from being an excellent place to purchase hard copy Bibles for all age groups; Christian book stores offer a large variety of Christian inspired "gifts", "cards" and the electronic supported "music" and "videos" appropriate for all occasions and age groups.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "store" isn't Christian. The "products" in the store are geared toward Christianity.

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the lines about Christian book stores and printed Bibles becoming obsolete in a Ph. D. thesis. The thesis investigates how the Internet impacts teenagers and their spirituality. That is why I asked the question.

It came to my mind this morning that the bookstore in the town I used to live in closed in 2016. It had been in business since the early part of the 20th century. They cited dropping business due to people buying from Internet outlets as a primary reason.

10. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure, no doubt, the "convince" of internet usage affects all kinds of businesses, as does "super-stores" that sells pretty much every daily need or want.

As far as "teenagers", "their purchasing power" comes from whoever hands them the "funds" to purchase something. Certainly "parents" are leaning more toward "purchasing" online, instead of "taxiing" their teens to the malls and umpteen stores.

As far as "from your once lived in town"; what about the other long term businesses? Struggling too or have also been upstaged by "convenience" and "greater variety" of online shopping?

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps Christian bookstores (brick and mortar) have already been made obsolete via online ordering. While I still go to a Christian bookstore, I rarely purchase anything (they are typically overpriced, and I'm usually disappointed in what they carry).

I've found digital media a benefit with limitations. If it is study material, I can take notes in the digital format but I often have trouble working with these notes (it's easier, for me, to associate a highlighted page with notes in the margin than a screen of notes with it's bookmark in a digital format). My solution has been to purchase both the physical book and the kindle book for certain titles. For practical purposes I can see the digital format gaining ground (and I typically use a digital bible).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our local Christian bookstore has decreased it floor space by more than 50%. Very little selection now available.

13. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian bookstores are suffering from the same kinds of problems as many retail outlets. Hastings book store just closed in the town where I work last year. Christian bookstores will likely be not exception to this trend.

I think print books are another matter, and will not become obsolete. I relish the research advantages of electronic books, but it want to read something I want a print copy. We have long thought that electronic might replace print books in our schools, but here in Texas the print editions seem to generally have favor over online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re: the OP, this is true to a large extent, BUT just wait until some catastrophe (storm of some duration, sun-spot EMF burst, weapon EMF etc.) totally destroys the electrical grid and/or sensitive electronic systems. Then the hard copy will be worth it's weight in gold to those who value such!
    Hope the rapture comes first , but ----!!??

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian novelty items in a bookstore - UGGH!

I don't see brick and mortar bookstores lasting very long - Amazon has priced them out of business
    but Christian bookstores are a great place to get Jesus snow globes and Holy Spirit ashtrays.

Another gripe - there are no decent recent science fiction novels that don't have zombies or EMF's!

If you look in the book of Revelations (19:18-21) you'll see the world ending after a zombie apocalypse induced EMF.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matthew Beech

Matthew Beech New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Physical bookstores, in general, are dead or dying.

I can't do cyber-Bibles for anything but briefly looking up a passage of scripture. I've used software Bibles since the first Logos on Win 3.1 and still find it to be more trouble than it's worth.

I absolutely must have a physical Bible to do any real study. I've tried doing notes on various iOS Bible programs or on Youversion.com and simply find it cumbersome by comparison to just writing notes in my physical Bible.

That isn't to say that cyber-Bible software isn't good, it's great in many cases, just not for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Thomas V

Thomas V New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Hope the rapture comes first , but ----!!?"
    I've got to agree with you - reading the initial posts, I wondered how everyone seemed short - sighted to be thinking this is something like the printing press, which God used at that time to spread printed materials to the common person - though preaching didn't go obsolete, it increased as commoners had more access and interest in understanding and obeying the whole counsel of God.
    We are most likely near the tail end of the tale, with tribes and tongues being reached, a third Temple more possible than ever, technology and apostasy making an Anti-Christ more likely. So the question is a little moot. If anything, paper based books should be obsolete, since most of the world doesn't have access to them, either because of poverty or persecution.
    In my opinion, a cozy nook is equally comfortable with an e-reader or a paper book, though I actually prefer e-readers since I have to fumble with a book, using two hands (lazy me, right), to turn pages, and an external light source. The e-reader is light as can be with an internal light and likely to become even less weighty with micro-technology. I can also put 10,000 books into a meaningfully categorized library, not just on that one device, but multiple with backups.
    And yes, I believe that electronic terrorism would be a great way for enemies to dismantle us, and paper bibles will afterwards be valuable. That has happened in Nazi Germany and Communist Asia. We are talking from our 1st world citizen's perspective when we neglect to consider those histories. When that happens to us here, we need to have already by that time hidden God's word in our heart - revive the lost art of Bible memorization starting yesterday. But also rely on God's grace. He provided Bibles to those who asked for them in persecuted situations. He'll also bring His daily word to us like Elijah at Cherith.
    Another point, how many of those responding are under 30? (I'm 40 this year). The 20 year olds out there have grown up with devices, and for those 10 years olds (my one year old can operate Android and iPhone OS!).
    Final point - keep making disciples, don't cloister yourself up so much anyway. Get out and invest your life in a person - friend, family, neighbor, enemy. You are the only Bible some people will ever read. Will "go and make disciples" dissolve in obsoletion?

18. Charles Blair

Charles Blair New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will grocery stores be obsolete? What about gas and "plug-in charge" stations? Or fast food outlets?

19. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

My Wife & I go to a non-denominal church that has Andy Stanley preach through video, most of the people in our church either do not bring a Bible since they display the verses on screen. Some people have tablets but we bring our printed Word. I love collecting high end leather Bibles from Allan Bibles over in England. Nothing smells or feels as good like a great top end highland goatskin leather Bible. I study from my KJV mainly but my NASB get's good use also. Invest in one then pass it down to your children :)

20. Matthew Beech

Matthew Beech New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is exactly why I got a nice calfskin leather Bible. I wanted something that I could pass down to my children, should I be blessed as such.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.