Are Confessions of Faith biblical? Should Churches use them?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mikey, Jun 30, 2021.

?
  1. Agree - Everyone uses one even if they say so or not

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. False - No creed but the bible!

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You cannot understand it even though it has been offered to you.there is a lack mental processing of the teaching.
    God does all things for His good pleasure.
    Whatever He has purposed in His eternal plan is perfect.
    Nothing surprises God.He does not have passions as men do.He does not change, get upset, or react irrationally like men do.
    Your continued suggestion that He must react and behave as you wish suggests you are describing a god of your own imagination, rather than the true and living God revealed in scripture.

2. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understanding it is why I hate it because it is false doctrine.
    MB

3. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have anything to do with creeds they are all uninspired by Go. They are Catholic Inspired.
    MB

4. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You twist scripture just like him. That is how you are like him. Discernment has nothing to do with it.
    MB

5. Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholic inspired? :Laugh:Roflmao

So you or your church doesn't have a statemnt of faith? You are unable to summaries the doctrines you belive?

6. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe in the doctrine of Jesus Christ and the Bible. You being a Calvinist believe in the doctrines of a Catholic named Augustine.It doesn't matter how your doctrines of grace are defined, because they are false.
    MB

7. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, here's a creed right in God's inspired word...

For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.
    ~ 1 Corinthians 15:3-8

8. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has what we term a Statement of Faith, a simple declaration in writing of some things we believe the Bible teaches. Our statement of purpose is that it is (1) for the edification of our church “that thou mightest know the certainty of those things wherein thou hast been instructed” and (2) for information to other churches, Christians, and the world at large.

9. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    MB, you believe in the doctrine of MB and his conception of the Bible. Be honest with others and yourself.

When we observe scripture, it's not like we are the first person to ever do so. Many other saints have done so before us. That legacy helps keep us from imagining we have had a new thought or idea that none other has ever had.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.
    ~ Hebrews 12:1-3

10. Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    its interesting that you (and savedbygrace) feel the need to bring up calvinism and reformed into a discussion that has nothing to do with it.

and what do you belive the bible teaches about Jesus Christ? what doctrines does the bible teach? Once you become specific then you are confessing/stating what you believe/believe what the bible teaches.

11. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Capitol Hill Baptist Church's covenant:

Having, as we trust, been brought by divine grace to repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and to give up ourselves to him, and having been baptized upon our profession of faith, in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit, we do now, relying on His gracious aid, solemnly and joyfully renew our covenant with each other.

We will work and pray for the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

We will walk together in brotherly love, as becomes the members of a Christian Church, exercise an affectionate care and watchfulness over each other and faithfully admonish and entreat one another as occasion may require.

We will not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, nor neglect to pray for ourselves and others.

We will endeavor to bring up such as may at any time be under our care, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, and by a pure and loving example to seek the salvation of our family and friends.

We will rejoice at each others’ happiness and endeavor with tenderness and sympathy to bear each other’s burdens and sorrows.

We will seek, by Divine aid, to live carefully in the world, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, and remembering that, as we have been voluntarily buried by baptism and raised again from the symbolic grave, so there is on us a special obligation now to lead a new and holy life.

We will work together for the continuance of a faithful evangelical ministry in this church, as we sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrines. We will contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the Gospel through all nations.

We will, when we move from this place, as soon as possible, unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all. Amen.

Church Covenant | Capitol Hill Baptist

12. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure it does you need to read just which debate category you're in. We are discussing theology.

Christ is the savior of the whole world.

I'm saved by Grace through Faith completely different from Calvinism and according to the Bible, not according to some Catholic like Augustine. I can prove what I believe with scripture.. Calvinist tend to bring philosophy to the table and make there claims. Scripture is not philosophical.
    MB

13. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bluster with no substance. Prove your doctrine.

14. Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to read the topic of the thread you're in. It is about statements of faith a different category than soteriology. The beliefs of Calvinism, Arminism, Provisionalism or whaterver is not relevant to the discussion at hand. If you want to debate Calvinism then create a different thread on the topic.

You are making doctrinal statements about what you believe and do not believe; that is what a statement/confession of faith is.

15. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't spell very well do you .[Insult snipped]

[Insult snipped]. The little button on your key board that says "shift" is for Capitol letters.

Oops! Looks like a lot of misspellings today. Capital letter is spelled with an "a", not an "o". Also, in your sentence, it is not to be "capitalized". My advice? Before one criticizes the spellings of others and accuses them of writing like a 5-year-old, one should make sure his spelling, grammar, et. al. is perfect. I know mine is not - so I tend not to bash others for it. Stick to the issue at hand. - Scarlett O.

What I believe is the whole Bible. I realize that is a lot to comprehend.
    MB

16. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read and understand God's word with out your philosphical notions. and you'll have my proof.
    MB

17. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What aspect of mankind was not affected by the Fall?

18. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What fall? Where does scripture say man fell? If you can't show such a scripture then nothing you claim is true..
    MB

19. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, do you understand that each person is fully God, but that each has differing roles to perform?

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are both equally Yahweh, but Jesus is not the father, and each One does different task!