1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there Catholics and Orthodox that are practicing and saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Based on what? How are you in a position to judge the spiritual status "vast majority" of Catholics?

The only thing we have to go on is what they believe based on what their church teaches (and their life). Their church teaches a way of salvation that is contrary to the Scriptures. If they believe what their church teaches, they are not saved. If they don't believe what their church teaches, why are they in that church?

There are probably some Catholics that are saved, but it is not because of their church teaching.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

More often than not I prayed to Mary; I prayed to St. Christopher (now non-existent); I prayed before idols; I committed idolatry; I prayed to the dead (such as Mary and the so-called saints).

The Catholics don't believe that Christ paid the penalty for their sins.
    If they did they wouldn't believe in a doctrine like purgatory where they also have to pay a part of the price of the penalty for the sins.
    You cannot be saved and still believe in the doctrines of the RCC. It is an impossiblity. Your friends had better examine themselves to see whether or not they are saved.
    It is doubtful that they believe on the Christ of the Bible.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just for argument sake he showed how he judge that they are saved here:

Its obvious that he saying that because he believes Catholics are saved because they believe in this basic premise "on his name". Now the onus falls on you to show that is not the case.

4. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

The Catholic church does not teach "believe on his name" as the way of salvation, in the way that the Bible teaches it.

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW Catholics I've spoken with (including my Father) insist that once you're in Christ you're not dead and that you still participate in the church.

You say
    which Catholics will tell you is a blatant lie. They believe Jesus paid the penalty of their sins :
    and again
    From their own teaching. So they would say you're misrepresenting their position. FYI. It's nice to know you prayed to Mary as a Catholic. Having been raised Catholic myself I was lucky if I prayed at all. Most of the time I was just repeating words that I had no idea what they meant.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you know? What do the Catholics teach with regard to salvation?

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Because I study. How are you making such dogmatic statements here when you don't know? I have never managed to understand how people come in here with bold dogmatic statements who admit they don't know what they are talking about.

In a nutshell, they teach salvation through infused righteousness and the sacraments. There's obviously a lot more to it, but it is not salvation by faith alone in Christ alone as the Bible teaches.

#27 Pastor Larry, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What dogmatic statements have I made? I'm just asking questions here. BTW This is something I read in the CCC

9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Can one pray to others than Christ and still claim his blood? Can one practice idolatry and worship the one true God?

While one may be a Christian and attend such a worship, can one really be a prcticing catholic and be a born again beleiver? What about a Mormon and a Christian, maybe Christian Scientist and Christian, JW? Borders on Universalism to me.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. What they believe (according to their Catechism) is not what they practice.
    2. Very few Catholics don't have a clue what their Catechism actually says.
    3. What they mean by being "in Christ" is not the same as what the Bible teaches about "being in Christ."
    4. In spite of what they say, their true belief is that salvation comes only through the RCC.
    5. Look up in the Catholic Catechism what it means to be "born again."
    One is made alive in Christ by being born again which is being baptized into the Catholic Church--an obvious heresy.
    Of course they will say it is a blatant lie. They don't know what the Bible says; don't study the Bible; aren't allowed to study the Bible without the priest's interpretation. To question their own religion is just like heresy even when it is wrong. But the truth is that purgatory takes away from the sufficiency of the blood of Christ. If they can't see the truthfulness of that doctrine then they are blind to truth; which they are.
    If that is true then why does:
    1. A priest must first intercede for them, and
    2. Mary has more power to intercede for them than Christ, and
    3. Mary intercedes for them on behalf of Christ.

This Mariolotry is idolatry, worship of the dead, and makes Mary a god.
    Praying to Mary is idolatry. It is wrong. It is blasphemous. Only God deserves our worship. Mary is treated as another god in the RCC. Mary is treated as both omnipresent and omniscient.
    How can Mary be both present all around the world, and all-knowing all around the world in order to hear and answer all the prayers of all the one billion Catholics scattered all over this world. Mary is dead. She is not God. She does not have the attributes of God. This is blasphemous.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

They are incorrect on several counts here. First of all, justifcation is a legal declaration. It does not detach man from sin, and it does not purify. It is a legal declaration that man is righteous. It is the opposite of condemnation (which is not to do wrong but to be declared condemned). This is why it is possible (and wicked) to justify the wicked (cf Prov 17:15).

Secondly, they deny that justification comes by faith alone. They condemn those who believe that justification is by faith alone. In this, they deny the gospel of Jesus Christ as revealed in Scripture.

You should get a copy of R.C. Sproul's "Faith Alone," or listen to some of his teaching on this. He can explain it very clearly, citing the documents of the Catholic church.

12. CarpentersApprentice

When non-Catholic Christians say this their answer is often along the lines of, "Yes, as long as they don't worship Mary, or believe that the Pope is infallible, or really believe that the consecrated bread and wine are actually the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Christ."

From a Catholic perspective, however, one must believe it all. (Note that I said believe it, not understand it.) The Catholic faith is like a house. Every part serves a purpose, and supports the rest of the structure. If you begin with the premise of "how little can I believe and still be a Christian" you will not end up with a very robust faith.

Just as, with a house, you want to have everything there to make a good, solid, completely functioning structure; so it is with the Catholic faith.

CA

13. historyb

historyb New Member

I was Catholic before I was saved, you can't stay in a church that does not teach the real Gospel. There is more to Christianity than just loving there is also right doctrine and the Catholic Church does not have right doctrine

14. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not all Baptist churches are the same. Neither are all Catholic churches. For example, the Catholic church closest to my home is an evangelical, charismatic Catholic church. They have Bible studies every evening, Monday - Friday. They have weekly praise & worship services. I went to a funeral there and there was an invitation during the service -- you know, bow your head and close your eyes type of thing. Also, many women who attend Bible Study Fellowship every week with my wife are Catholic.

15. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

HistoryB.....

And you know the heart of every single catholic and orthodox, and you know for sure that absolutly none of them "know better" concerning the falsehoods their church wickedly proclaims, but choose to stay in anyway...for whatever reason?

I agree completly with you that the Romish cult proclaims a false and non-saving gospel, as does the orthodox cult.

But that doesnt mean that every single individual one of them...with no exceptions...absolutly for certain does not possess saving faith in Christ.

Remember, the opening post was not talking about the false gospel these cults proclaim, but rather can some of them possibly have saving faith.

:godisgood:

#35 Alive in Christ, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  16. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I too fell away from the RCC but have returned because I attend the Tridentine Mass.....there is an Epistle and Gospel reading each day of the year and because the Mass is offered in Latin...on a Sunday the Epistle and Gospel are then repeated in English for those who do not have a Daily Missal. The sermon is based on these readings.At the end of the Mass the concluding Gospel reading is from John 1:1-14

During Mass there is any number of portions of the Bible incorporated into the structure of the Mass.

17. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Er...they do both. Explain that...!

So there is no value in personal testimony? So value in preachers since they are mere 'personalities'?

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Ah, so you're saying we're not saved by faith alone, then? According to you we are saved by faith and 'right doctrine'. And, pray tell, how does one determine the latter?

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No, they don't do both. It is impossible. They may say they do both, but someone who rejects his teaching as the RCC does, does not at the same time love him and trust him alone for salvation. If you love me, Jesus says, then you will do what I say. Someone who teaches in opposition to what he says, as the RCC does, is not doing what He says, and therefore is not loving him.

Sure, but not compared to Scripture. The testimony you are giving of these men shows that their testimony does not measure up to Scripture.

I assume you mean "no value," and if they are "mere personalities," then yes there is no value in them at least in terms of the discussion here. A preacher's value comes only when he speaks the Word of the Lord from Scripture. Too many preachers are given to telling stories about themselves or someone else, not telling the story of Scripture.

#39 Pastor Larry, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So how do you account for the fact that (in so far as anyone is able to judge the salvation of another) they are saved, then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.