1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

As Baptist?????????????

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by KobrinFamily, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he? (Habakkuk 1:13)
    Because I serve a holy God who does not condone sin. If believers and the churches that they go to condone sin then why should I fellowship with them? If their doctrine is in error then they are out of fellowship with God.
    God demands holiness--without which no man shall see God.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Ain't gonna happen down here.

I can fellowship in eternity with Catholics, Methodists and Charismatics, because then they'll all know the truth and we'll all be Baptists.

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I am talking about those in heaven with us forever who ARE saved by grace of God!
    While here, were attanding "church" labeled Baptist/methodist/Lutheryn yes even a remnant of "catholics"

You don't fellowship here with believers in jesus, regardless of their "church" label, as all true believers belong ONLY to the true "church of God" Bride/body of Christ!

4. JesusFan

you mean that NONE of us will be lmown as Christians, after our Lord Himself?:

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

DHK, did you see these questions, cause I can't find an answer in any of your posts since:

Okay, DHK, how far do you seperate? By not allowing their preacher to fill your pulpit? By not filling theirs? By not cooperating in community issues that you do agree on? (a soup kitchen or food pantry or such)

Or do you turn your back on them entirely? And if so how does mesh with Christ's command to "love one another"? (John 13:35) Is it so easy to say that church who uses the Living Bible isn't "one of us" so that command doesn't apply?

Let me add one more that has occured to me in reading some of your posts:

When you speak of being seperate, does that only include those you would accept as "voting" members of your church?

6. JesusFan

Know that it applies to the marriage of 2 believers, but same for those saved and in bride of Christ.. All those married to jesus so to speak...

"Those whom God has put together, let no Man tear asunder!"

7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they stay in a church that doesn't preach the truth, then something is wrong....how could someone know the truth and still be enamoured with lies?

8. JesusFan

Would you mind being more specific, what doctrines in mind, as some might see a cal church as defective, others an Arm!

9. TLB

TLB New Member

would you mind explaining me why it is you refer to the Church of Christ as a cult? i have never heard of them referred to as a cult.

thanks.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We would only have a preacher of like faith and practice fill or pulpit--that is another IFB preacher, and even then if the person is KJVO it would not be likely that he would be invited unless we knew him well enough that we knew he would not be there to stir up controversy.
    I am a missionary and have spoken in literally hundreds of churches throughout the years. Almost all of them have been IFB.
    We have "cooperated" with a mission for the homeless. It is interdenominational in nature. But we choose a night to go when we are able to have the entire service ourselves. There is no one else on the platform or doing any other kind of work but from our church. So it is not "interdenominational" on that night. It is Baptist.
    I don't hate anyone.
    We fellowship with people of like faith and practice. Those are the only ones that you can truly have fellowship with.
    People who are either in doctrinal error or in error of a personal error, it is the believer's responsibility to bring that one to a place where he is right with God. That is not fellowship; it is correction, instruction and often rebuke.
    People who are not saved need to be saved. There is no fellowship with the unsaved.
    We have a purpose in life. Our purpose is to live holy lives. Sin or sinful living draws one away from the Lord. The Bible says to shun evil. Avoid all appearance. Give no place to the devil; to be conformed to the image of Christ, and not to be conformed to this world. These commands I must take into consideration as I live my life.
    That depends what you mean. Your question is a bit ambiguous.
    There is "ecclesiastical separation," where the local church separates itself from other churches, such as cults, modernism, and the Charismatic movement.
    There is personal separation where a believer must develop his or her own convictions on how far he or she must separate himself from the world. This may include dress, type of music, and a whole lot of other things. It must come from the heart. It must be a conviction. To be a member of the church one needs to be saved and baptized, and have a general agreement with the constitution.

11. JesusFan

Some of them hold that MUST be water baptism in order to complete the salvation process

Would group them under those who are Christians who have added false doctrine to salvation, their own 'distinctive doctrine"

12. menageriekeeper

But the question is, how can we be soooo certain that we and we alone hold to the "truth"?

I know we all like to say we do, but our actions and attitudes show different and its not because we worship with a bunch of "liberals" who agree on the essentials but disagree on things like standards of dress or when the tribulation was/is.

Shouldn't we rather be choosing who to worship with based rather on the Fruits of the Spirit once those essential beliefs have been stated?

(essentials: Trinity, Virgin birth, Salvation thru Christ Alone, Diety of Christ, Death, Burial and Resurection of Christ, 2 ordinances: baptism and communion)

13. menageriekeeper

Jesusfan, not that you are wrong in what they believe, but is that enough to consider them a "cult"? They aren't into mind control, which I believe is a hallmark of a "cult" are they?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When allowing someone to fill the pulpit we have to be very careful who to allow to feed the sheep. That is of utmost importance. If we are not sure of their doctrine then the pastor should not allow that person to teach or preach. The Bible is our foundation. It is the pillar and ground of the church. That is why study is so important.
    My parents would put most Christians to shame in the kind of lives they lived: righteous (but self-righteous), moral, faithful in their church, faithful in prayer, generous, faithful in giving, kind to others, etc. But they were not saved. They were Roman Catholics, and believed to the end that salvation was in the RCC, not in Christ. Their belief in the trinity, deity of Christ, the resurrection, the second coming, the virgin birth, original sin, the literal existence of heaven and hell, --all of these important Biblical doctrines will not get them to heaven. They did not trust Christ. You cannot worship with liberals--the unsaved. You cannot worship with those who agree on essentials and yet remain unsaved such as my parents. There is more to it than that.
    If you examined the lives of my parents you could have said that perhaps they exhibited the fruits of the Spirit. It's deceptive. What about Mother Theresa and all of her good works and sacrifice. But Mother Theresa was not saved. She said if: If you are a good Catholic, then be a good Catholic; if you are a Hindu then be a good Hindu; if you are a Muslim then be a good Muslim. That is heresy.
    Academic belief and salvation are two different things. The one doesn't bring salvation nor does it bring a spiritual life. On the other hand, for a Christian correct doctrine is necessary.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Christians didn't name themselves that. That name was given to first century believers at Antioch. Our enemies gave us the name Baptist.

So I think I'll wait until the Lord Jesus gives us a name--if we need one.

Until then, it'll be Baptist.

16. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Christians didn't name themselves that. That name was given to first century believers at Antioch. Our enemies gave us the name Baptist.

So I think I'll wait until the Lord Jesus gives us a name--if we need one.

Until then, it'll be Baptist.

Tom...

Are you saying the that you really...actually...refer to yourself as a BAPTIST...Rather than a CHRISTIAN?

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I do both. They're interchangeable.

Actually, I use the term "believer" more I do either Baptist or Christian.

Believer is more precise, to me. If I describe myself as Baptist, I could be one of 38 kinds. But at least people have an idea what I believe. The label Christian means everything from born-again, to Roman Catholic, to Mormon to Christian Science. All it tells them is that I'm not an atheist, Muslim or Hindu.

My favorite self-label is "Right-wing, redneck, deep-water Baptist." One time, I used that description of myself, and the one I was talking with said, "Oh, one of those." He thought I meant IFB. I told him I was SBC, and SBCers could be one one of those, too.

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

OK. No problem.

I'm sort of the same way. Christian, Believer, Child of God, etc. The label I use the LEAST however, is "Baptist". Its not because I'm ashamed of being baptist. Not at all. I'm proud to be Baptist.

But I just dont want to be pigeonholed.

19. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yep, those are the essentials, and any deviation from those truths is wrong. Many, many churches say that water baptism is necessary for
    salvation. THAT is wrong. Many charismatics say that a person doesn't have an indwelling Holy Spirit unless they give evidence by speaking in tongues, and THAT is wrong. Many churches say that if a person sins
    after they are saved, they will lose their salvation...and THAT is wrong.

Where do you draw the line???

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DC,
    This is why many churches use a confession of faith as a guide to what scripture teaches. You have an idea what to expect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.