1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Atheists and Liberals better than evangelicals

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Wow! Just wow! At least you admit it. It is perfectly ok to you for Fundamentalists and Evangelicals to not seek to raise well educated children.

AMAZING!!

There is a problem... it is people like you.

Certainly he did! I pray to God that our churches would flood to overflowing with uneducated people that we are helping.

But we are SUPPOSED to be HELPING them. That means some of them will get an education who wouldn't without ou help. That means that even those who can't will emphasize education to their children and after a generation or two we will see the stats improving.

But they are NOT improving. They are going down. That means we are not HELPING people. We are part of the problem and not the solution.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok well I knew you would not last long. I did not say that. As usual you put words in my mouth. I will leave you to your misery.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You did say it.

I cited a respected survey that said that Christians have been raising their children to be less educated than atheists- BY FAR!!!- and you say that you have no problem with that.

It is not that you did not say it, it is that you did not realize that you were saying JUST that.

You said the terrible education of fundamentalists and evangelicals is no problem.

You just didn't realize that what that meant was that you were saying that it is perfectly ok for Christians to raise their children to be poorly educated.

You said it.

Anybody with half a brain can see you said it.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true. In fact, a stupid person ... stupid in the real meaning of the word ... cannot be educated. A stupid person does not know and cannot be educated to know whereas an ignorant person does not know but can be educated to know.

But the lack of a degree will leave a person ignorant in many fields in which they could have been educated. That is a waste of a mind and as the old saw goes, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste".

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please...both Old School Baptists I report into have advanced degrees....one in physics. His son, a pastor in Ohio holds a doctorate and runs a chemical plant. But I digress ....Old Schoolers are encouraged to spend time in the gospel each day & then we discuss them. Regarding edu....we encourage it totally. Where we differ from most Baptists is we believe the pastor is responsible for teaching the entire family together rather than send them to SS. Then its up to the parents to reinforce with the kids.

We are also big into home schooling. I am very proud to say that we are very family orientated and educated with an extremely low divorce rate.

BTW....we are Doctrines of Grace believers.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Classic Luke-ism post/thread!

Take several flawed premises:

"The more religious the state in America, the higher the divorce rate and the poorer educated it is."
    "If your beliefs don't enable you to provide a home in America where your kids grow up to be very intelligent, capable contributors to society then your beliefs are not worth two cents."
    "The fact is that generally speaking atheists lead more moral, more intelligent lives than most evangelicals."
    "Atheists...raise kids better than evangelical Christians. Atheists are by and large better educated than church members...Atheists do not get divorced like church members "

Cite flawed studies and use personal anecdotes as if it applied to everyone:

"My state, Mississippi, is at the BOTTOM and I know why."

Claim superiority

"You are a very bitter person. Your personal problems with me are a spiritual problem for you."
    "I helped over forty prisoners get their GED's last year. I offer after-school tutoring classes to children in our community."
    "I don't think you used the word "behest" properly."
    "Anybody with half a brain can see you said it."

Throw in some question begging:

"Why do you want people to keep their heads in the sand?"
    "It is perfectly ok to you for Fundamentalists and Evangelicals to not seek to raise well educated children."

Repeat:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=92692

Predictable as dirty socks on a coal miner.

#46 InTheLight, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What KIND of education do these atheists have. Perhaps they are professors of science in different universities holding various Ph.D.'s. So what if they have greater education in that respect. I would submit that many of our seminary educated pastors have an equivalent education without a Ph.D. but in the area and expertise in which they are trained.
    Pastors are not biology majors, and Biology professors don't know a whit about the Bible. Thus the stats that Barna gives are skewed from the beginning.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: yea......grab your socks!

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

As I recall about this time last year Luke took off on a rant. I did a little looking and came up with one of my favorites:

Old folks who think they love old things

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, that one was a good one, too! And true!

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL......whats startin to scare me is that I have a young niece that went down there to live.....but thats my brothers problem. The movie, "Deliverance" keeps flashin into my head however.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He also went on a rant against fundamentalism. But in the end he concluded that he was a fundamentalist also. :D

13. OldRegular

My oldest living brother and I were talking yesterday about the propensity of some folks to stereotype others. The movie "Deliverance" was mentioned. Then there is the OP!

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am a fundamentalist in the sense that I believe in the fundamentals. But you know well that the IFB and tongue talkers have high jacked that term. I am nothing like most of them.

Hopefully you can understand it now.

#54 Luke2427, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Don't forget the shakers and quakers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IFRQzUzb94

Can anybody spot the first time visitor?

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Related "thinly'....but related.

Why in our culture is it acceptable to proudly admit that one cannot do even the simplest of mathematics?

17. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke you are a very negative person. You need to start reading the Bible and learn to be positive.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

If you knew two cents worth of the Bible you'd know the VAST MAJORITY OF IT IS POLEMIC IN NATURE.

Too negative!

Kid, stay off the street. You don't know what you are talking about.

19. OldRegular

I believe you are incorrect but thank God for dictionaries.

20. OldRegular

My soon to be 80 year old baby brother studied mathematics. He started out teaching but spent most of his career working at the Pentagon. After he retired he did substitute teaching on occasion. He said that if you took the calculators from the students they were lost. {Sort of like the Blackberry commercial of a couple of years back.}

I believe that Dr. Keith Ablow, the psychiatrist on Fox has stated it correctly. As I recall he insists part of our problem in this country is that we have too many gimmicks {for lack of a better word} and there is a lack of personal communication. People, especially the young, even if they have cell phones don't talk, they text. Then there are Facebook and You Tube where people spill all their secrets to the world including nude pictures of themselves. And there are hundreds of games and "apps" that occupy, actually waste, time. Young children and teenagers who should be out playing, doing something physical are playing games, texting, on iPhones, etc.

Even forums such as this one are problematic. We would never speak 'face to face' with each other as we do on this forum. Instead of discussing, communicating, we are shouting, often insulting each other, even if it is in "lower case" text!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.