1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Awesome new gospel tract

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poorly done, Evan.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope that your issues at home are clouding your judgment, but regardless I suppose it is appropriate to suggest repentance from your current course on this forum. Don made an accurate observation and said nothing inappropriate (I also experienced a sense of déjà vu .... all over again). Your avatar is the symbol for the Way of the Master. Around the cross are the letters "WDJD." Do you believe that your response accurately represents that mentality?

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

Par for course.

4. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Again, I'll have to say if it saves one soul....God uses the foolish...I would like to hear testimonies of this working.

5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

6. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith comes by hearing and hearing by.... your walk with the Lord and how you treat eachother and fellow man...??

That isn't what Romans 10:17 says does it?

The word of God saves people...and if it happens to be in a gospel tract praise the Lord.
    I am really getting tired of you people belittling gospel tracts, they are such a great tool for getting the gospel to people.

7. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In his mind he will be missed.

9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious. What has Don posted that would cause you to write this?

Don is an asset to this site. I would miss him.

Ed. To add- Rd2, you are not are seeking criticism simply for the attention, are you?

#29 Rolfe, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don has done an excellent job of exposing a phoney....thank you brother.:thumbsup:

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see people belittling tracts as much as questioning whether or not handing out tracts is a substitute for communicating the gospel message or for discipleship. The verse before Rom 10:17 clearly says "how shall they read unless someone gives them a tract".....oh wait, no,...that's not it. They need a preacher - someone to teach them the Word. We also need to be Light ("let your light shine so before men" is not nullified by Romans 10).

We need to preach the word and demonstrate that Word in our daily lives, in how we interact and communicate with people. If you will notice, Jesus never implement TWOTM type evangelism. Instead he met people where they were and showed genuine concern. The same is true of John and Peter as described in the first chapters of Acts. Have you ever wondered why people listened to Peter? Read the first chapters in Acts. Peter did not merely stand and yell passages at people as they walked by. Nor did he simply hand them a tract.

I am not saying that you are opposed to people discipling others in the faith. But you need to realize that most are not opposed to tracts in and of themselves. I would prefer to simply use a Bible and have specific pages marked and passages highlighted - leave the person with the Bible (I've done this before). The money tract, however, is another story. It is trickery, not Christian.

12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of the epistles definitely do present the complete gospel, but we need to remember that they were written to churches that were already familiar with the stories and teachings of Jesus that have been preserved for us in the four gospels. When Paul is writing to them, he assumes that they already have that knowledge. He is usually dealing with some specific aspect of the broader message that is being ignored or where there has been some confusion. We should not expect that his writings (or the writings of Peter, James, John, the author of Hebrews, etc.) fully represent the gospel message. That's precisely why the Gospels were written.

This sounds "right," but it is just not.

No one here is claiming that certain parts of scripture is not God's words. But a faithful reader of scripture MUST properly weigh, balance and interpret portions of scripture against others in order to create a proper understanding. And obvious example: The proverbs in the Book of Proverbs do not carry the same weight as the Ten Commandments or the teachings of Jesus. Good expositors of the text realize that the proverbs are pithy sayings that paint a picture of how to live wisely, justly and righteously. They were never intended to be Law or have the same weight as the words of Jesus.

Moreover, a faithful interpreter of scripture must understand that the writers of the New Testament (Paul, James, Peter, etc.) were disciples of Jesus - they explicitly tell us that - and that what they write needs to be interpreted according to the teachings of Jesus. In other words, we need to know the teachings of Jesus and then take that knowledge to the letters of the New Testament and read it in light of what Jesus has said. As someone who came to that realization much later in his Christian journey than he should have, I can tell you that it transforms the reading of the epistles. Prior to that I always had a nagging feeling that Jesus and Paul were teaching different things (a view that is common in some circles, but I had explicitly rejected), but I could not reconcile what I knew Jesus had said against the way Paul was interpreted to me by persons who were in authority.

During that period, I also noticed that the church tends to ignore the teachings of Jesus except for a few key passages that nearly line up with certain theories of the atonement. It was as if Jesus was born of a virgin (massively important), lived for a while, did some miracles, was crucified (important), buried and raise to life (very important), ascended into the heavens (not very important), and was coming back one day (massively important to know just how it is going to happen - let's fight about it). There was no real mention in my circles about the "Kingdom of God/Kingdom of the heavens" except for reinterpreting that as a place where you go when you die or as the Millennium. Neither of those definitions make any sense if you try to actually insert those words/thoughts into the text.

"Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand" is my most basic gospel message. Its a good one since John the Baptist, Jesus, and the disciples sent out by Jesus all proclaimed it. Moreover, in Acts, we read that the followers of Jesus, including Paul, are teaching about the Kingdom - not simply talking about atonement.

I could give you scripture for everything I have written, but it is better if you actually just go to BibleGateway.com and look up New Testament references to "Kingdom" and you will see that things may be a little different than you expected.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you that we need to know the audience and purpose of each epistle (and each Gospel, for that matter). But I disagree with you if you are suggesting that Scripture varies in importance. Proverbs is, essentially, concerned with the exact same plan of redemption as is the New Testament. I think that we would agree that the difference is not importance but applicability. Revelations, for example, would not be as suitable presentation of the gospel message for the lost as would Romans or Mark.

14. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have a happy marriage so stop jumping to conclusions.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I know I said I was done; but I've been watching the comments. Clarification, folks - no one's saying "don't use tracts." However, there are certain types of tracts that we all agree are inferior, such as the Chick tracts; and those tracts that employee deception to snare folks.

Best tract I've seen was one left in a bathroom stall on the toilet paper holder. Identified the church on the front, clearly presented the Gospel inside, and next steps (such as reading your Bible and going to church) on the back.

Jesus never played games with the Message; John the Baptiat never played games with the message; the apostles never played games with the message. We shouldn't, either. Proclaim it, disciple them, help them do the same in turn.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have inferred what was not implied. I am glad that you have a happy marriage. I was speaking of your struggles with finding a church where you could worship as a family (your thread a few weeks ago). I know how difficult of a struggle it can be finding a church home, and am praying God will lead you where you need to be. I just thought that the situation may have clouded your judgment and may account for (although not excuse) your behavior towards Don. Perhaps you inferred from him what was also not implied as well.

#36 JonC, Jul 23, 2015
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: Amen.

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said anything of the kind. I think it is all important, but to properly and faithfully interpret scripture, you need to understand what is said and why it is being said. Weighting the scripture is not the same thing as asserting a level of importance.

Pet peeve. Revelation. It is singular.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I thought. I agree and stand corrected on "Revelations."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any message that reduces sin and righteousness to an issue of behavior is a false message, and that is irrespective of whether it's a sermon or a tract.

And every tract I've seen has given a confusing message regarding the "bad news". Either it's Adam's fault or my fault, not both. The out-of-context use of Romans in most tracts is appalling for people who have supposedly studied the scriptures.

And almost every tract I've ever seen has ended up derailing at the end, running into the voodoo of you-do. If you turn, you stop, you pray, you accept, you you you.

Some plant the seed, some water it, and God makes it grow. But all the while, people are trying to convince the ground to make a decision to accept the seed

#40 JamesL, Jul 23, 2015