1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Back to Christmas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that we should do away with the celebration of Samhein/Haloween/All Hallows Eve

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For xmass, I generally put out my full body cutouts of Fred Nietzsche & sheep cutouts to represent human kind's enslavement out in the lawn with a sign over the door saying Work makes Freedom & I pipe Wagner songs out into the street.

Our neo-nazi town & state govt seems to like it.

#22 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

You forgot to have sugar plum fairies dancing around the cutouts. Now I'm angry. RAWR

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you quote his famous line? "God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
    —Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 125, tr. Walter Kaufmann"

Just curious.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I do like to look at the lights, I just do not want to spend 30 hours putting them up to impress the neighbors. As far as Halloween goes, I have to agree. I let my kids go out and get candy with costumes, and would again without any feelings of guilt. Also, your point about those who make a big deal out of Halloween turn right around at Christmas and do just what you say. The ones that shout the loudest are usually the ones that do the least.

Another point I forgot is Easter in comparison to Christmas. As noted above, we spend from August to December 24th at closing "preparing" for Christmas. (If they did not lock the doors at 6pm Christmas Eve, shoppers would spend eternity there) By this point in November, most commericals on TV somehow relate to Christmas. It builds up until a day or so before December 25th. Now, look at Easter. It is barely a footnote. It is not a holiday, and you might see ads a week or so before the date. It seems to me that while we should celebrate the birth of the Lord, nothing can beat the Ressurection. Our treatment of the two holidays is exactly polar opposite.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Maybe that is because we don't take Christ out of Christmas and we don't expect the world to be anything except worldly. Of course they want to take Christ out of the holidays, otherwise they'd have to consider the condition of their souls. How the world celebrates ANY holiday has doesn't dictact how I as a Christian chose to celebrate.

The same scripture applies to both Halloween and Christmas:

Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
    Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

(of course, it could also be that I have worked and cooked all weekend and simply missed this discusssion :D )

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup:...

8. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Thank you for your post this is exactly how I feel. Christ is the reason I celebrate Christmas..:jesus:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Er, ahhh, nnnnoooo thats just a little too much over the top .... now Gina should be told, no fairy's allowed....Faterland forbids! :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I like Christmas all around. I like celebrating Christ's birth and telling my young kids about it. I like the atmosphere at church. I like the music celebrations at church. I like the lights. I like taking the kids to see Santa, and I like dressing up like him on Christmas Eve and watching the excitement on their faces. I like telling them the story behind Santa. I like decorating the outside and inside of our home. I like the music. I like the hectic retail rush and seeing the malls packed. I like wrapping presents. I like the commercial aspect of Christmas (worked in retail for many years, and while some would be stressed out, most would be excited). I like to give gifts. I like to receive them. I like to go to holiday parties. I like to eat. I like Great Lakes Christmas Ale.

There is nothing wrong with any aspect of Christmas, IMO as it is purely a man-made holiday to begin with. Nobody can tell you it must be celebrated one way over another or to avoid doing this or that...it is purely opinion. Celebrate it the way you wish and the way the Lord leads you.

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Besides the commercializing around Christmas, which I believe results from a fundamental knowledge void of the true meaning of the day, what I dislike the most is that we rush the season. Christmas is one day. I wish we spent the time on Advent like we should, joyously anticipating Christ's coming, reserving Christmas celebrations for Christmas, or at least the few days preceding it.

I shouldn't be hearing "Yea, Lord, we greet Thee, born this happy morning" on December 13th.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I keep hearing about the "true meaning" of Christmas. Being a man-made holiday...what "true meaning", and where are we told to celebrate it and how in Scripture? We celebrate Thanksgiving (another man-made holiday), if one person has a home cooked meal and another goes out to eat, one watches football, one walks along the beach...which one is violating this unwritten "true meaning" of the man-made holiday?

There is 1 in 365 chance Dec. 25 is even Christ's birthday, and it most likely is not.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Dude, the true meaning is the celebration of Christ's birth, which is the central event in salvation history. It's a pretty big deal. You can't even begin comparing Christmas to civil celebrations like Thanksgiving, which are quite vague and have little concrete spiritual meaning beyond a generic call to be "thankful."

If you keep searching the Bible for specific prescriptions on how to have simple celebrations, you're going to be frustrated. The fact that the Christ event is portrayed as it is in the Bible gives us more than enough reason to celebrate.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you have firsthand knowledge Christ was born on Dec. 25th, afterall, in your words it's a "big deal". I know when my son was born as that was a big deal. I don't pick a random day to celebrate it. We are told exactly how to celebrate Christ's death (commanded, actually) in specific terms...why wasn't this the case with His birth? Not even a birth day to go off of?

I can begin to compare Christmas to other manmade holidays...because it IS a manmade holiday.

Fact is, if you want to celebrate it this way...that's fine, do it. To claim it MUST be done this way cannot be supported biblically, it's mere opinion.

#34 webdog, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
  15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I'm not claiming it must be done anyway, but rather that there is joy and wonder in anticipating the Christ event. We don't have to search the Bible for prescriptions for everything. But Christmas has been celebrated by God's people for centuries. Don't want to celebrate it? Don't. But it is a sacred holiday. And part of it is the comparison to other sacred holidays, like Easter. We don't sing Easter music for a month before it. We shouldn't do the same thing with Christmas.

Thanksgiving isn't just "[man-made], it's a civic holiday. It was contrived without any concrete, specific allusion to Christian faith.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You claim it doesn't have to be done a certain way...and then contradict yourself with your last line.

You must have missed my post prior to yours stating I do celebrate Christmas...I just don't tell others how they need to do it, or how my convictions should be theirs.

If Thanksgiving is not man-made...who made it, chickens to take revenge on turkeys?

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I saw it.

For those who are interested in preserving the continuity of the Christian year, in which nearly all Christians, even on accident, participate. They may not make it to the yearly Ash Wednesday service, but they still participate. These are not just my convictions. People have been doing this stuff for a while.

If you have no interest in celebrating any of these things, then don't listen.

Seriously?!? Think about what is implicit in my statement. By civic, I mean that it is man-made; a holiday concocted for a generic, nominally spiritual society. It's purely national.

Christmas is not.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not following you here.
    Pure semantics...but Christmas is "civic" as it is a "holiday concocted for a generic, nominally spiritual society. It's purely national.". John 3:16 and a host of other Scripture state Christ was born for the whole world, believer and unbeliever a like

19. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Way to go Webdog. Everybody says Oh Yes I Believe What The Bible Says, but some saynot if it contradicts what man says.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know of any "Christians" in the true sense of the word, who celebrate Ash Wednesday; Catholics, yes; Christians, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.