1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism in the Name of Jesus Christ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did. Unless you want to count all of the Apostles as disobedient to Christ:

Matthew 28:18-20
    King James Version (KJV)

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

We know that they were not obedient, so the obvious conclusion would be that there is an equation to what Christ is saying here and what the disciples did.

This takes precedence over what the Apostles actually did. This is ground zero for our instruction, and what we are to be in obedience to.

The Name Jesus Christ was not known to men prior to the Son of God being born of Mary.

Jesus is the Name of the Messiah sent unto men.

There is nothing wrong with obeying Christ's command, lol:

King James Version (KJV)

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

That is not a tradition concocted by men, but the very command of Christ. And in that command we must understand the purpose, which is that the disciples would go forth, teaching all Nations about Christ, bringing them into association with Christ and then...teaching them the commandments of Christ.

In that order.

There are much more serious errors in Modern Christendom to deal with that are far more important than how one baptizes men, whether the debate is over which Name to use, or the method of baptism itself. Water Baptism does not save, it is only a symbolic representation of the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Christ which is then identified to the one professing faith in Christ, and of course their profession of already having been saved.

God bless.

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please quote Peter literally doing what you say. Quote him saying be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, instead of "be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ"..

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to distinguish between general faith...

Hebrews 6:1-2
    King James Version (KJV)

1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

...and specific faith in Christ. Here, the Writer commands that his Hebrew brethren go on unto perfection, which the more complete knowledge of Christ given to men in that day(which is contrasted with the basic principles, the ABCs of Christ as presented in the Hebrew Scriptures), and not to lay again the foundational doctrines of the Old Testament Economies.

We see that no man was placing faith in Christ as the Risen Savior not only in the Gospels, but in the Epistles. First, the Gospel of Christ was a Mystery, not revealed unto men. We have to maintain the fact that Revelation was progressive. Abraham had more promise than Noah, Moses had more promise than Abraham, David had more promise than Moses, and we...

...don't have a promise, we have obtained those promises.

See this truth here:

Hebrews 11:13
    King James Version (KJV)

13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Hebrews 11:39-40
    King James Version (KJV)

39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

The Writer, in Chapter 6, tells them to go on unto perfection, which is a theme running through Hebrews. The Law, as well as revelation, was incomplete in the Old Testament. Christ makes it complete.

Consider:

Galatians 3:21-28
    King James Version (KJV)

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Eternal life was not obtained through the Law. Only Christ can give eternal life.

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Two key words here: promise...and faith.

More properly, The Faith (of Jesus Christ).

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Notice there was a time before faith came? He is not saying the Old Testament Saints did not have faith, he is distinguishing between The Faith of Christ and general faith in God.

What then did they have?? Glad you asked...the Law.

Notice that The Faith should afterwards be revealed? Why was it not revealed? You ask great questions...because the Gospel of Christ was a Mystery, as Paul teaches extensively. He is teaching that here.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Men were justified by faith through the Law, but, there is a difference between that and being justified freely through the Redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Romans 3:24).

Now, see Paul distinguish between the two economies...again:

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

When did faith come?

When Christ came, died, arose, returned to Heaven, and sent the Promised Spirit.

Then men began being born of God:

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

As in John 1:11-13, as shown earlier, men were given the power to become sons of GOd when Christ came. Men were given the ability to have faith in Christ after The Faith came.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

"As many of you that have been immersed into God in eternal union...are like Christ."

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

No Jew nor Gentile was baptized into Christ prior to Pentecost.

We are all made one in Christ, just as He prophesied in John 14, and reminded the disciples He had taught them about the Promised Spirit in Acts 1:4-5.

This is just a basic teaching that threads it's way throughout the New Testament.

Continued...

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Peter was in disobedience to Christ, is that what you are saying? It is if you draw a distinction between the two. So just say it, Peter did not do as Christ commanded in Matthew 28:18-20, and you think we should join Peter in his disobedience.

;)

God bless.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a tradition, its the command of Christ, particularly when we impose a rigid limitation of understanding on it as you are doing.

Here it is again:

King James Version (KJV)

Thanks goodness the Catholics corrected Peter's error.

Continued...

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because Regeneration is a result of God eternally indwelling the believer. Abraham did not have eternal life until Christ redeemed his transgressions.

Consider:

John 6:51-53
    King James Version (KJV)

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Let me ask you a question: what does it mean that Christ will give "His flesh" for the life of the world?

Continued...

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we can trust our lives on Scripture. That is what we do.

The point is in the terminology used by Luke. Just as Matthew usually says Kingdom of Heaven but Mark usually says Kingdom of God.

And I would point out that you have not even began to address the Scripture and points given to you.

This means that His going to the Cross was known to God prior to His Death.

It does not mean that Christ died on the Cross before the world began.

And the simple fact is that the Atonement was retroactive for the Old Testament Saints, it was not applied to them in their lifetimes:

Hebrews 9:12-15
    King James Version (KJV)

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Abraham died offering up animal sacrifice for atonement and remission of sins. So did Abel, Noah, Moses, David, and anyone else in an Old Testament Economy.

And the fact is that those sacrifices could not take away sins, or the penalty that loomed over mankind's head:

Hebrews 10
    King James Version (KJV)

1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Now, remember that perfection I was speaking about threading its way through Hebrews?

Hebrews 10:10-14
    King James Version (KJV)

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Only Christ can make one complete in regards to remission of sins. And He does that...forever.

The Old Testament Saints were not made perfect, because they did not receive the promises:

Hebrews 11:39-40
    King James Version (KJV)

39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

When we impose this into the Old Testament Economies we deny the Scripture...that we can trust with our lives.

We see the Old Testament Saint, those justified through the Law, distinguished from the Church, the Body of Christ, which did not begin to be built until Pentecost:

Hebrews 12:22-24
    King James Version (KJV)

22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Continued...

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is because you didn't present any exegetical arguments. You just posted a lot of scripture which does not support your erroneous assertions.
    Genesis 3:8.

Genesis 18:1-8.

Joshua 5:13-15

Daniel 3:25

And on and on and on.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus made that very clear in John 1:48 Nathanael said to him, “How do you know me?” Jesus answered him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”

• Like Like x 1
  10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The disciples had faith in Christ?

Let's test that theory:

Matthew 16:20-23
    King James Version (KJV)

20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

No, no faith there, only opposition to the Gospel given them directly by Christ Himself.

John 16:28-32
    King James Version (KJV)

28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

30 Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.

31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?

32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

The Lord states clearly "No, you don't believe, you will abandon me."

Perhaps you think I take too much liberty in putting it that way, so let's let the Lord conclude on the matter:

Mark 16:9-14
    King James Version (KJV)

9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

10 And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.

11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.

12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.

13 And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.

14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

Can't have faith when one does not believe the very Word of Christ that He would rise again from the dead.

They did not believe before the Cross, they did not believe after the Resurrection, Christ had to rebuke them for their unbelief.

Now we cannot be too hard on the disciples, because as I said, Paul teaches that the Gospel of Jesus Christ was a Mystery not revealed in Ages past, to past generations, to the son of men, to the Saints, but is now revealed to His holy Apostles and Prophets by the Spirit.

You see, one cannot believe in something or Someone that God has not first revealed it to them, and in the case of the disciples...

John 20:8-9
    King James Version (KJV)

8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.

9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

The "belief" in v.8 is their believing He was no longer in the tomb.

Verse 9 makes it clear they knew not the Scripture that He should rise from the dead. That knowledge is only revealed by the Comforter, and He began revealing it at Pentecost.

Continued...

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have given Scripture, links to point out critical Greek words, and points with each one, and you say there has been no exegetical arguments.

You live in a fantasy world, my friend.

God bless.

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. You have given no exegetical arguments in favor of your theory. The fact that you think you have indicates to me you don't know what exegesis actually is!

No, you do. A fantasy world where posting a list of quotes constitutes exegesis. I have some bad news for you. It doesn't.

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the "filling" is not the Baptism with the Holy Ghost. They were baptized into Christ, immersed into eternal union with God...at Pentecost.

Correct, with them.

Not in them:

John 14:15-18
    King James Version (KJV)

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

As Christ teaches them these things the disciples are not eternally indwelt, because they have not yet been reconciled to God through the Work of Christ.

The Son of God is YHWH but Jesus is the Messiah born unto Mary some 2,000 years ago for the express purpose of dying in the sinner's stead to make The Atonement.

Philippians 2
    King James Version (KJV)

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Are you sure yo are Trinitarian?

Oh, so men get a little more of the Spirit these days? lol

Sorry, but the Comforter was not present prior to Pentecost.

Same Spirit, different ministry altogether:

John 16:7-9
    King James Version (KJV)

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

John 7:38-39
    King James Version (KJV)

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Note that "...the Holy Ghost was not yet given."

The reference to the living waters speaks of eternal life. No man had eternal life prior to the Cross, at which time Christ retroactively redeemed the Old Testament Saint and made them perfect in regards to remission of sins. And for the living no man had eternal life prior to Pentecost, when they were Baptized with the Holy Ghost, or in other words, baptized into Christ and immersed into God in eternal union.

God bless.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The eternal Son of the Godhead is sound doctrine, but not that he always existed as Jesus, as that happened when he incarnated and God assumed and took on human flesh. Apostle John called him the Logos of God, and that the Logos became flesh and was then forever more Jesus Christ.

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Personal attack edited]

Every argument presented is the result of the exegesis engaged in for years. When you learn what it means to expound upon exegesis then perhaps some of the ridiculous statements that come from your mouse would end.

Now, if I give detailed posts, you complain. If I don't, you complain. The fact of the matter is you have no ability to address the Scripture and points given, hence you simply harass.

Now, address this:

Got that backwards, don't you?

From eternity to the plains of Mamre to eternity again, and from eternity to the womb of Mary, to the Cross, and then to Eternity again.

Hebrews 10
    King James Version (KJV)

5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

The Writer also uses katartizō here...

Hebrews 11
    King James Version (KJV)

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

But really, after you address these passages, I would love to see the Scripture by which you support that the Body Jesus Christ died in has always existed.

I did not know you believed God has always been a man.

The Bible I study from teaches...

Philippians 2:5-7
    King James Version (KJV)

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

God bless.

#155 Darrell C, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was not omnipresent, that is just a basic fact.

Jesus was God manifest in the flesh, and taking on the likeness of man He limited Himself to a physical body.

Who was on the Cross, and Who was in Heaven?

That's the point, lol.

Jesus is specific to that body God manifested in.

No, it is simply to recognize that Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, was fully God, fully man.

That is just a basic Christian Doctrine.

God bless.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 146:3 Don’t put your trust in princes, each a son of man in whom there is no help.

Actually, when you post a long, drawn out, line after line of meaningless quotes accompanied by ignorant comments I just skip it.

When you post a short, concise, logical post, I read it and usually respond.

I already explained this to you. If you are still having trouble understanding it I will gladly try to explain it in simpler terms for you.

18. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, no, as shown in regards to the unbelief of the disciples both before and after the Resurrection, the disciples were not believing in Jesus Christ.

And as shown in regards to general faith in God, men are not saved by having faith in either a coming Messiah, or...in YHWH. There are untold numbers of Jews who believe in YHWH but are still awaiting the "coming Messiah."

Men cannot be saved through any other Name but the Name of Jesus:

Acts 4:10-12
    King James Version (KJV)

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

As I asked before, I would appreciate it if you would address the Scripture and points raised.

God bless.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Now you deny the full deity of Christ. His body was limited in space, but God the Son is and always was Omnipresent."

John 1:48 Nathanael said to him, “How do you know me?” Jesus answered him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, a recognition of a basic Christian Doctrine.

How can one be omnipresent when they are limited in space, lol.

Say, is that the exegesis you were talking about?

Again, that is Omniscience, lol.

Honestly, some people's kids...

God bless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.