1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist pastor comes out as transgender in zoom sermon, gets fired and sues church

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Scott Downey, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. A Canadian Baptist pastor thought she was sharing an inspiring word when she delivered her congregation a Zoom sermon in which she came out as transgender.
    Instead, her congregation voted to fire her a month later.

Baptist Church Pastor Junia Joplin Fired After Coming Out As Trans (percolately.com)

How many more are like this, had to be some warning signs in her ideology.
    The things people say give them away.
    Male Pastor Comes Out as Transgender; Church's Reaction Has Him Filing a Lawsuit (westernjournal.com)
    upload_2021-8-15_5-40-7.png

"Joplin has clearly stated that he hopes his lawsuit will ensure that other churches are not allowed to make the same decision that his church did when he expected them to support his transition to a lifestyle that plainly contradicts the biblical teachings on how a pastor should live and what example he should be to his flock."

If any church I went to had this happen, and did not reject such a person as unqualified for Christian ministry, I would immediately leave and not look back. But there must have been prior clues, things noticed, none of this can happen in a vacuum.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mike McKinney

Mike McKinney Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't tell anymore, but I'm assuming it's a woman who wants to be a man. If so, then it's not a real church, anyway, as they're in open violation of Biblical instruction.

Second, with the BLM sign in the background, I hope she/he/whatever sues the pants off them.

3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man "coming out" as a transgender "woman" calling it God's calling on his life.

Even more perverse, he associates it with finding the hidden treasure and pearl of great price Jesus speaks of regarding the kingdom of heaven.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual, leftists twist anything to make themselves look like saints. In reality, this he/she/they/it is saying God made a mistake, that they have righteously corrected for Him. I guess He can thank them later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My tolerance ends when they force their embraced evil into the church or try changing history to suit their sick desires.

5A864CDB-8880-4E1F-AFA9-E93BE8D987E3.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I prefer "it"
    2) God did not make a mistake
    "In Whom the god of this world.... ( aka Satan)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What amazes me is that this person now wants to sue the church but then why am I surprised, everybody sues now. In the story it says 53 voted to keep this person and 58 voted to get rid of the minister.really makes you wonder what those 53 think the bible says.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone think that his Baptist church in Canada was a theologically conservative church before that vote? I have serious doubts.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Also, what influence did that pastor have over theological concepts taught at that church. I would say plenty. He-She-IT would have promoted teachers and church administrators as much like like himself-herself-itself as possible. That the vote was close shows that church has little discernments over good and evil things according to all the scriptures. Cults put heavy focus and interpretations on carefully selected scriptures while ignoring the whole counsel of God. The ones who voted to keep that pastor shows a major divide, maybe they will split up.

Acts 20
    25 “And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, will see my face no more. 26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men. 27 For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God.

28 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves. 31 Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears.

10. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. turned away from what is right or good : corrupt
      improper, incorrect

2. obstinate in opposing what is right, reasonable, or accepted : wrongheaded
      arising from or indicative of stubbornness or obstinacy
    Speaking Perverse Things, the above is what perverse means.
    Such people are not walking the straight and narrow path.

Matthew 7:13-14
    The Narrow Way
    “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

11. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its about time- We dont want to upset anyone.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was interim pastor at a church - the previous pastor came Sunday morning - dead drunk
    The church let is slide. The following week - he arrived drunk again - that time they fired him
    on the spot.

Then they called me to help out.

14. NewMusic

NewMusic Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have mixed feelings about this.

The first is the outrage over the sinful person, called a pastor, who obviously has and never did have, any understanding of God, holiness, and the Word... and in a position to affect and lead others astray, is sickening.

The second is that none of this surprises me seeing how the people do not want Christ to be Head and Master over His body (the church), but instead want to be a professionally run organization with selects leaders based on worldly standards.

So if a church wants to be like a business and submit to government rules and oversight, then it can be sued like a business and suffer the consequences. The same happened a few decades ago in California when a woman sued over bad marriage counseling from a "pastor" in an organized 501c3 institution, which puts the government over God and His people.

Same thing as in old Israel's Day when they wanted to have a king like all the other nations. Shame.

Which is worse?

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay -
    1) should a church be required by the govt to have handicap parking spots
    2) Should a church be required by the govt to have its kitchen inspected by the Health dept
    3) Should a church be required by the govt to have its building inspected by the fire dept
    4) Should a church be required by the govt to have its school buses inspected and regulated
    5) Should a church be required by the govt to have it Academic school inspected by the State board of regents.

16. NewMusic

NewMusic Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not surprised, but your questions reveal that you do not understand God's body, aka Church.

God's Body is a Spiritual organism. Those who possess His Spirit are members of His Body.

He only has One body, and we who belong to Him, are members of His Body.

Wherever 2, or perhaps 3, of us are gathered together IN HIS NAME, there He is in our midst. It's NOT the same thing as Christians getting together for whatever reason, and thinking that therefore He is there. Only If He is "allowed" to be the Master He is, and His Holy Spirit is guiding and leading. "In His Name" carries a whole lot with it.

The church is not an institution or man-made organization.

When you read about the sects of the Pharisees, the Sadducees, the Sanhedrin, etc., and the Lord condemned them all, have you not learned anything?

And Paul was so grieved with those who called themselves after their favorite person, be it Apollos, or Barnabas, or Peter, or whomever... the apostles were so grieved over this and on one occasion when people started worshiping them! (recorded in ACTS), that they ripped their shirts saying in so many words, "we did not die for you! Jesus did!"

If the finger cuts itself off from the hand, will the finger live? No.

And yet countless factions keep thinking they are better than others, and cut themselves off from other saints, on and on and on.

#16 NewMusic, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whose post are you referring?

18. NewMusic

NewMusic Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yours!

Why would the Body of Christ submit itself to the world?

Don't you know that we are (supposed) to judge angels?

19. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It took them a whole month to fire this chucklehead?? Really??

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For theological reasons? I wonder just what the church’s executive council chair meant by that?