1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Pastor Shot to Death, Mistaken for Coyote

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Feb 21, 2018.

1. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know who these "most people" are that you're referring to, but all the hunting buddies I know are conscientious about what they're doing. Thousands of hunters go out in the woods with rifles, shotguns, pistols, bows and crossbows and if "most" of these are as incompetent as you seem to think, a much larger number of deadly hunting accidents would be occurring..

Judgement? You just judged "most people" as "probably not up to my caliber". So who's judging now? If you shoot at "sounds" or something moving in the bushes, you deserve to be called an idiot. The fear of being called an idiot makes some would-be-idiots more mindful.

Hundreds, no, thousands of people hunt coyotes with realistic-sounding game calls and some are electronic.. And though it's wise and, by some states required, to wear a specified number of sq inches of blaze orange, that still gives no one the excuse to discharge a weapon at something without identifying the target,

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with most of what you’re saying and even think of the guy that shot the Pastor an “idiot” (I'm not a hunter but I when I think of "knowing my target" I think 100% or nothing.) ...but from a perspective of reality I believe it worth considering that extra caution be taken, taking a second look at human nature nature if one is going to be in the brush acting like a coyote, ESPECIALLY when acting out as a coyote around where people live. Standing on the high ground and calling people idiots doesn’t change fact that one might get shot because a “certain percentage” of people are going to mistakenly believe that they know their target. If you want to deny this or think calling them idiots changes this fact, well, I might be inclined to call that kind of thinking not too smart as well…

Then I’ll give you a real life example, I live out in the desert 5 miles away from town on 5 acres and there are about 30 other properties like that out here that are spread out. I know most the people out here and I don’t know one that doesn’t own a gun or hasn’t shot it on and around their property. Since the city has annexed the area it is not even legal to shoot in the city limits, but again I don’t know of one person that has changed their habits because of that.

So, anyway, I’d bet every one of my neighbors would consider them self “conscientious” about their shooting (some would even call themselves “hunters” but frankly I wouldn’t go hunting with some of them for fear of getting shot, I disallowed my son to go out “hunting” with some that I didn’t feel would be responsible enough.) …but I will also tell you human nature has it that if you went around the neighborhood hiding in the brush (like that Pastor apparently did) and acting like a coyote the odds are (the “percentage” chance) one of them is going to take a shot at you is pretty darn high!! …AND if you can’t see this as reality for all your hunting ethics, ethics which I don’t disagree with and believe are good to have, then I have to tell you that kind of denial would tend to make me think of one as much of an “idiot” as the one shooting without clearly and without a doubt identifying his target.

I just don’t see how calling them idiots solves the problem that it’s also not… …too bright ...to go around people’s property acting like a coyote and NOT expect THAT SOMEONE MIGHT SHOOT AT YOU!

#42 Benjamin, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  3. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For years Frank’s wife begged him to take her hunting. He put her off as long as he could; finally, he gave in. They went to a place where bucks were likely to be found. He placed her where she could get a good shot at any deer that came along, and he trudged through the underbrush to another location about a half-mile away. Before he could get into position he heard two shots. “Oh no!” he thought, “If she gets a deer before me I’ll never live it down.” Then he heard his wife screaming, “Now, step back. That’s my deer!” As he raced through the woods he could see his wife aiming her rifle at a man whose hands were raised above his head. She yelled again, “I said, step away! That’s my deer!”

As Frank arrived at the scene the man yelled, “Okay, Lady. You can have your deer. Just give me a minute and let me get my saddle off of it.”

. It's kind of like driving. You not only have to pay attention to what you're doing, but you have to watch out for the guy who doesn't.

#43 SheepWhisperer, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't wear it coyotee hunting. Not required. If you wear it, you might as well stay home because Coyote will see you a mile away. Predator hunting and deer hunting are entirely different games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't have a clue how to hunt yotes. How many have you shot?

6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if it had not been for our guns you would be speaking German.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    WRONG! The US and the UK were the major players in the victory over the Germans in WWII. You guys only entered after Pearl Harbor was bombed. You forget that your country is awash with "settlers" form our land!

8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong! You would have never lasted until Pearl Harbor without our arms shipments.

9. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    don't forget the Russians!

10. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you only have his word for it that it was a coyote.

Here for causing death by dangerous driving or eve careless driving will get you a few years in gaol. So I guess he should get a few years for carelessness,

Here we allow guns for hunting but if there was a case like this, he would probably be charged with manslaughter which can get a sentence of up to life imprisonment,

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Jerry drove the Brits right off the continent. Ever heard of Dunkirk? LOL!

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were using our arms as well.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are just one big happy family here on planet earth! :eek:

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Settlers" who wanted out of your oppressive country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I usually put my speaker and decoys about 100 to 150 yards from my shooting set up. I would not want a yote coming toward me. They have eagle eyes. You won't be able to shoot one walking toward you and looking at you. The pastor was hunting the extreme old school method. I won't hunt that way.

16. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr Cassidy, be humble! YOUR surname comes from HERE, IRELAND!!!

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. My forebears were smart enough to get out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the potato famine is what drove them out with the other millions. Nonetheless, many millions of you guys can trace back their ancestry to our wonderful Isles, as they were also accused of "stealing our girls" after WWII! You should be both proud and happy! :Biggrin

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most likely forced out by the '45-49 Irish Famine. I can't speak for Dr. Cassidy but most Irish Americans are nationalists\republicans in their sentiments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    so most would be "anti English"?

21. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That perhaps is a bit too strong. At the very least, anti-Westminster or anti-British sentiments are present. With the end of The Troubles, much of the sentiments have died out.

• Agree Agree x 1