1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Traditions? Drinking alcohol & dancing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by KPBAP, Sep 3, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Rfrom W ,Just what did I take out of context. You said that there was nothing said about alcohol in LEV. I was just pointing out that there was.

2. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

My $0.02:

Is drinking wrong? Absolutely not.
    Is it wrong for me? Absolutely.

Regards,
    BiR

3. Sample.... first you didn't qoute the whole scripture in context, making it say something it didn't. I said the Jews were never forbidden not to drink in the old testament. So you found one, even though it doesn't fit your case. Of course wine and alcohol was mentintioned in both. The way one dressed was forbidden along with other rules. So does that mean they couldn't do it other times. NO.

You need to give it up Sample, the only way you can keep going with YOUR point is to TWIST scripture. You want to totally disregard 3 whole chapters in the Bible ROMANS 14 and 1 COR. 8 and 9.

Those chapters ALONE prove you wrong !

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy howdy, Sample, from your neighbors to the south. Greet the Andersons for me. Some of the men from your church have come and helped in projects at Camp Grace and all of you are appreciated.

Hope to see you some day. Don't bring any wine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Hi,doc
    I do talk to paster Anderson once a week but I'm in school inLaGrange right now and sure could us your prayer. I do beleive that I may be learning more here though these guys are really beating on me. I'll tell paster you said hi. YOU can be sure I'll not have any wine with . I'm sure our paths will cross.

6. Hey we are not beating on ya, just trying to help you see right from wrong, thats all. Believe me in the long run you will appreciate it. No one likes judgemental Christians. Saved or Unsaved.

Just as God is HOLY, RIGHTEOUS and JUST he is also LOVING, MERCIFUL and full of GRACE.

Just as both sides of Gods Character are important, so shall we be balanced in all things:)

7. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

R FROM W ,I'm sorry if I've offended you,that is not my intention at all . Ireally was jast pointing out the words old wine to you .my intentions were never to twist Gods word .

8. No offense taken at all sample. I'm just standing up for the truth [​IMG] It seemed like you were omitting words in Lev. to have it fit what you wanted it too. If you were not, I apoligize.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NKJV Romans 14
    20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense.
    21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.
    22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.
    23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

HankD

10. mioque

mioque New Member

Bapmom
    "I agree with Sample, how can you say that Europe has hardly any problems with alcohol?
    Do you mean that they don't SEE any problems with it? Or do you mean that they don't HAVE any problems with drunkenness? I mean, do you really think that they don't have alot of the problems associated with drunkenness as we do here......drunk driving, fighting, violence against women, etc? "
    "
    In Europe Christians don't frown on drinking alcohol with moderation and non-christians don't expect from Christians that they never drink alcohol. That's about as far as it goes.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

ok mioque.

Thing is, we get reports from missionaries all over the world, and they deal with the exact same problems involving alcohol that we do over here.

I don't know how anyone can claim that in Europe people don't get drunk as much and have as much "addiction" problems with it. That is what I took someone to be saying, and it just is not true.

Other than that, I really think this thread is going in circles and getting nowhere productive. We've all said that, Yes, God says DRUNKENNESS is the sin. Then we have mostly all said as well that it is wiser for people to stay away from the stuff. But a few keep on with the argument as if everyone is disagreeing in the extremes when we aren't.

So I think this topic is pretty much exhausted and can go nowhere else. See you all later.

12. The only area I think your point fits in our culture for the unsaved and saved, is this.

I personally feel that young people are wise and better off to NEVER touch alcohol, cigaretts, weed or pills. That way you stop the addiction head on, if one has the propensity for it. Or if someone has had a history of ABUSING these things, then he is best to stay away for good.

That said if someone like me and my husband in our forties and fifties. Has NEVER in our life had a problem with ALCOHOL, then as a Christian I see NO Harm in having a drink ( not that we do, but if we did so what ?)once in awhile at some event, actually we have done that at weddings. It is NOT SIN or wrong and as far as our testimony, it will not be affected. Being WEIRD doesn't help our witness thats for sure.

Our families and unsaved friends KNOW us enough to know we do not have a problem with Alcohol.
    I have also realized many unsaved have reservations about Christains who think EVERYTHING is a SIN. so they could care less to have what you have, a God who says everything is WRONG. It can actually be a henderance to one getting saved.

PAUL wrote in 1 COR. 9:19

For though I am FREE from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, that I might WIN them. And to the Jew I became a Jew, that I might WIN Jews; to those who are under the law, to those who are WITHOUT THE LAW, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, that I might WIN those who are without the law.

And so on and so on he keeps going !
    Get the point ?

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

we've all gotten the point.....and so on and so on, it keeps going!

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My wife and I will be taking a swing dancing class. How many classes are we allowed to be in before we qualify as being in unrighteous behavior?

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

16. John, Legalist do not understand how they come across sometimes. You kind of have to feel sorry for them that they have been taught wrong.
    :(

Balance in everything is the key unless God says otherwise.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What's the problem bapmom? Are my wife and I scripturally forbidden from taking a swing dancing class? If so, where?

If it's scripturally forbidden, we'll comply, but scripture will be necessary first.