1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists who stand up

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Mar 14, 2013.

?
  1. Neither the King James Version nor any other version of the Bible is God’s Word.

14.8%
  2. The King James Version and many other versions of the Bible are God’s Word.

81.5%
  3. Only the version use is the word of God (please comment on what version you use).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't take a stand

3.7%
  1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I see that my poll was put together hastily and was defective.

It should have read:

1. Neither the King James Version nor any other version of the Bible is God’s Word.
    2. The King James Version as well as many other English versions of the Bible are God’s Word.
    3. Only the English version I use is the word of God (please comment on what version you use).

I'd like a word from Earth, Wind and rsr about their response. What's up? Were things worded poorly? and Still learning?

Rob

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Not to hijack but you just condemned the only Bibles that believers in the rest of the world use and trust as "inaccurate", which would be a complete shock to them.

Perfect example of why I hate KJVO. You do not realize the damage it does to the cause of Christ, to missions and to missionaries when you make such claims.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Actually, I am quite aware that many languages do not have a version of scripture based on the same text as the KJB. To that I would say I am glad they have some form of scripture, although I would agree that they are not "accurate".

But I do believe a person can learn the gospel and be saved from these inaccurate versions.

And the fact that you hate KJVO does not prove anything, you could be in absolute ERROR.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Lifeway is
    http://www.lifeway.com/Article/About-Us

This isn't the thread to go into what Lifeway also is, as evidenced by their merchandise and merchandising.

Yes, the usage of those pronouns is one of the complaints about the KJB. Guess I'm fortunate that back in the day before God was taken out of the school systems, we did learn the usage of personal pronouns to distinguish between singular and plural.

IMO, there are times when it is important to know who is being addressed with the word "you". Some of us southern folk found that ya'll is quite helpful in this regard.

"It's easier to understand."

Proverbs 2: KJB
    2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;

3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;

4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;

5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.

6 For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Sometimes I have to just shake my head in disbelief. :tear:

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

So do I.

:tear:

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

OK, you head-shakers, should the scriptures include the last 12 verses of Mark or not?

Tell me if those 12 verses should be there, or they should not. But please don't tell me that that are supposed to BOTH be there and not, that is impossible.

You know, I thought as Baptists we believed in freedom, that a person is allowed to believe what he personally believes the Bible to teach. Apparently not, some of you have set yourself as judge and jury of others.

You just keep on shaking your head.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many TRANSLATIONS of God's Word. God gave His Word and preserved His Word in Greek/Hebrew documents, NOT Jacobean (or contemporary) English. Or Spanish. Or French. Or German.

God breathed/inspired original writers, NOT any translator. To give a man-made document status as God-breathed is an attack on the doctrine of inspiration and contempt for the first fundamental of the faith.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

:thumbsup: Final answer!

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

It's a total non-answer and you know it.

Tell me, should the last 12 verses of Mark be there or not? It's a simple Yes or No question, please answer.

Truth is, those who claim the word of God is preserved in all versions do not really believe it is preserved at all. It is you that cannot take any stand.

Take a stand, should the last 12 verses of Mark be there or not?

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

NO ONE alive today really knows- and if they say they do, they are lying - final answer.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

So NOW you are saying that you do not know if any version is God's word, even though you said you did in the poll. At least Dr. Bob was honest.

And I am not lying when I say the King James is the preserved word of God in English, I believe that by faith, YOU DO NOT.

You do not believe God's word is preserved at all, yet you mock those who do.

Tell me, is it some great advantage NOT to believe in God's word?

#32 Winman, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
  13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I think you should take your concerns up with the Lord. He allowed the various translations, not the Devil.

And you should stop placing words in my mouth. Just because I do not believe exactly like you do on this subject does not mean I do not believe in the preservation of the Scriptures. They are preserved- in the hearts and lives of those who believe and practice them. That is the best translation of all.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 iYou shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Did you take a look at WHY I posted that comment?

It was in reference to the word HATE inconjunction with Bible preference. And, a far reaching condemnation that extends back in time for 400+ years. In his zeal to condem those who support only the use of the KJB, the poster seems to have forgotten that was the KJB Bible, in large part, the one that took the word of God to the world with the expansion of the British empire. Especially in the 1800's.

If I understand correctly, this Bible version was primarily during the periods of great revival across the lands. And is still in use throughout the world both in English and in translations based upon it. Thus, IMO, it is not valid to make this statement: "you just condemned the only Bibles that believers in the rest of the world use".

Further, the poster presumed that others don't know or understand the controvery that surrounds the KJB. "which would be a complete shock to them." Really?

Lastly, when I read the last sentence, echo's of the past crept into my awareness. John Wycliffe's bones came to mind. I can imagine similar statements being made when opposition to the Catholic church arose. Wonder how many have died and are still dying for upholding the freedom to read the Bible version of choice without "hate" being rained upon them?

In closing, Winman, for the record, my CHOICE of Bibles is the King James Bible. And, FWIW, this thread, and the one where my choice to use the adjective "any" (in a Baptists only forum) turned into an "is" debate are examples of why I've almost stopped coming to this particular forum. Seem's I can't learn my lesson. :BangHead:

Mark 12: KJB
    30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I don't HATE the KJV nor your Bible preference - I HATE the false teaching of KJVO. I have seen the fruits it bears on the mission field - doubt and division.

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that you are somewhat confused by the simplicity of the question.

The question is not, “Is a particular translation inspired?” but “Are translations the ‘word of God’?”

The translators of the King James Version answered this important question well.

If a translation couldn't translate God’s word then like the Muslims, should prosecute those that corrupt God’s word by translating it.
    The Catholic Church of old followed this practice in its time.
    But there are examples in scripture that show us that a translation can communicate God's word effectively.

Rob

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You guys can keep arguing about which translation is best or more inspired or whatever...but I'm more interested in the 3 votes that say NO translation is God's word. Huh????? :confused: :eek:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that considered scandalous to you?

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, if no translation is God's word, then we don't have God's word at all. And if that is true, then I can throw my bible away.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    go ask a Hebrew scholar if what he reads in Torah is verbatim to what you read. Personally dont know if we have any here. Speak up if your out there.