BB Recipe Collection #2

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by donnA, May 31, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

2. donnA Active Member

Has anyone ever made a sweet potatoe soup? Good, or bad? Got a recipe?

3. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

That's one I haven't tried Donna. I love sweet potato pie though! :D

4. donnA Active Member

Me too, I'm going to make sweet potato pie with splenda for christmas.

5. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

And the recipe is???? :D

I am going to try and make microwave peanut brittle with Splenda and 'light' white corn syrup and see how it turns out...

6. Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The story goes my FIL when he was a chef did the same thing with jello and whipped cream. The jello got dropped on the floor, so after scooping it up, they chopped it up and layered it in ice cream sundae dishes with whipped cream and called it parfait. It sold well. No lie.

7. donnA Active Member

shawna,
    how about this, slice the poatoes and layer them in a casserole with cheese of choice and sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic powder, you could even do some onions in it, top it off by pouring milk or cream over it, 1/2cup to 1 cup depending on the size of the casserole and amount of potatoes. The milk will be absorbed by the potatoes and make them real tender. You could even top it with some crumbled ritz crackers and pour on some melt butter.

8. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Donna:

I am thinking of making cheese balls or cheese logs at home this year. I've never done it before.

Do you have a 'tried and true' recipe? Preferably one where the cheese stays soft.

9. donnA Active Member

Pineapple Cheese Ball

INGREDIENTS:

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
    1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
    1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, or mixture of green and red bell pepper
    3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
    2 teaspoons seasoned salt, or to taste
    2 cups chopped pecans, divided
    PREPARATION:

Directions for pineapple cheese ball.
    Combine cream cheese, drained crushed pineapple, chopped bell pepper, chopped green onion, seasoned salt, and 1 cup chopped pecans. Chill in refrigerator until firm then shape into a ball. Just before serving roll pineapple cheese ball in remaining cup of pecans. Serve pineapple cheese ball with assorted crackers. Pineapple cheese ball makes about 3 cups of cheese spread.

Bacon Cheese Ball

Ingredients
    1 lb bacon
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/8 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1 chopped nuts

Directions

Cook bacon; drain and crumble. Combine with rest of ingredients
    (except nuts) and form into ball. Roll in nuts.

Serves: 1

Cheddar Cheese BAll

Ingredients
    1 cup Finely shredded cheddar
    Cheese
    1 3oz Package cream cheese
    2 tbsp Margarine or butter
    1 tbsp Milk or dry white wine
    1 tbsp Finely chopped green onion
    1 tbsp Diced pimento
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    Dash bottled hot pepper sauce
    1/3 to 1/2 cup Snipped parsely or
    Finely chopped walnuts or pecans
    Assorted crackers

Preparation
    Bring the cheeses and margarine to room temperature. Add milk, green onions, pimento, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce; beat until combined. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.

10. poncho Well-Known Member

My favorite "Buffalo Wings".

First you get yourself the biggest chicken wings you can find. Check closely for those little pin feathers they tickle going down and bring funny faces to your guests that discover them unexpectedly.

Then toss them in a bowl (not metal) and pour in Rob Salamida or Lupo's spiedie sauce and let soak in refrigerator for at least 24 hours 48 is better if you can wait that long.

Some history of Spiedies

After they have had time to soak and the meat looks mostly white toss them on your grill and cook till almost done then just brush on your favorite B-B-Q sauce and let them sizzle till there done, but don't let them get to dry messy fingers is part of the fun!

Serve with blue cheese salad dressing and celery sticks. MMMMMMMMMMMM!

You can bake them in an oven if you don't have a grill or the weather outside is to "upstate" to use the backyard grill.

11. donnA Active Member

Sounds good. I love wings. I brown mine a little in oil, and then bake them covered with a hot sauce misture. The hotter the better.

12. poncho Well-Known Member

I lived in Binghamton Ny for a couple years and got hooked on Spiedes. The smell at the fesivals is enough to drive a person bonkers! I had to drive past the "Charpit" an outside grill on the way home at night and my car would suddenly turn in there no matter how I tried to avoid it.

We marinade whole skinless chicken breasts in Lupo's Spiedes which is the best in my opinion and cook them on the electric grill indoors all winter. I'm gettin hungry!

13. donnA Active Member

Sounds like my kind of eating.

14. Gayla New Member

15. donnA Active Member

Anyone ever made garlic mashed potatos? I've seen them on the cooking shows for a long itme and finally tried it tonight. I roasted my garlic by taking the whole head, cutting off the top put in foil and add a little olive oil, wrap it up and bake on 300 degrees for like 1 hour, made mashed potatos and when I took the garlic out just squeezed it out in the potatos. They were so good. Used them as a side to a pot of stew w/o potatos, which I also got on a cooking show.

16. Gayla New Member

That sounds good, donnA.

Had garlic mashed potatoes at Applebee's Sunday, and that batch wasn't good . . .could hardly taste the garlic, and dry, dry, dry. Had to put butter on them to eat'em.

17. Gayla New Member

Has TaterTot ever posted her famous Taco Meat? Do you use the packaged seasoning or do it yourself?

18. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I make garlic mashed potatoes all the time. We love them.

Another thing Brent just loves and BEGS for is mashed potatoes with the peelings still on. Just wash, cut, cook, and mash as usual, but leave the peelings on.

They are really good and you lose none of the nutrients...

19. donnA Active Member

We love the peels on for mashed potatos Sue, I left about half of them on tonight.

Gayla, I used about the whole head of roasted garlic, so we could taste it well.

Does anyone know how to store and keep roasted garlic, I forgot.

20. donnA Active Member

Does anyone use fresh herbs? I want to start growing them this spring and wanted to be able to keep them.
    You wash them and pat dry, wrap in paper towl and put them in a freezer bag and freeze. Or chop them and put them in ice cube trys with water and freeze. Which I think is how I am going to do them.
    Or you could just dry them and keep them in a jar, which if I grow some I'm also going to try.