1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Be Ye Holy, For I Am Holy!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Dec 4, 2017.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that is something we all need to consider I have not walked in your shoes and you have not walked in mine... But saying that I hope I have grown from what I used to be when I came on this board in 2001 until now... I hope that I have grown more in Christian kindness and understanding, but saying that I can only speak for me... I have seen some get in heated discussion on here and what started out as a debate turned into a personal battle... When I see that if I am in the discussion I back away... I'm not trying to influence anyone on this board to believe as I do... I do consider what everyone posts and every now and then read something I hadn't considered before... You will seldom find me in the political arena as that is not in my blood... My life's blood is my belief in what my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ did for me and us all, and how we should treat each other on here even when we disagree in a kind Christian manner... Brother Glen:)

2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The trouble with that view is the context does not support it. Christ just got through demanding the impossible, i.e., moral perfection, just prior to making that statement. He meant perfect.

#62 thatbrian, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the whole point of the law and Christ's exposition of it in the Sermon on the Mount. You can't. I can't get up out of this chair and walk out of the room without sinning.

24 Wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?
    25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then I of myself with the mind, indeed, serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. Ro 7

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let’s take a hard look at this shall we. In the next 130 days I will have the opportunity to get into the legal pot distribution business. If I do that, that move will provide my family a much better quality of life. Upon hearing this, my younger brother (a former youth pastor) flipped, he told me that that would be tad amount to a moral crime and I disagree. Both he and I can disagree and that’s fine but I’m not going to allow him to apply his sense of right and wrong to influence me. My brothers morality is arbitrarily. What’s more it is irrational. Washington State, Colorado and Massachusetts all have it legal and the state is receiving a good ROI with legal tax revenues

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How bout this one... my girlfriend at the time, her family at the time owned and operated several strip bars in nyc. If I did marry this woman, the family suggested they would bring me into the business. I will never forget the laughs I got when I asked about the morality of using these girls. Here was the answer I received, “ Nobody’s putting a gun to their heads... besides they make good money,” and if that was the only concern, perhaps I would but that was just the tip of the iceberg so I declined.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glenn,I consider you both a friend and brother. I’ve benefited by your advice.
    Thank you :Thumbsup

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not judge you!... Brother Larry you have to do what you feel you need to do... Unless someone has been in another mans shoes, the only one who should judge, should be the man himself and the Lord... We should give kind Christian advice, even if we have been there... I know many times I feel the Lord has put me through many things in my life to draw me closer to him... I disagree with your brother, I only say this, Pray about it and let the answer to your prayers take action... Check out the pros and cons of your decision, check it out as thoroughly as you can... Then take that leap of faith, if you need to... You will find out in time if you have made the right decision for you and your family... God bless you Brother... Brother Glen:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church also needs to disciple people and send them back out to spread the good news. I sincerely hope they don’t require perfection cause you ain’t a gonna find it. :Smile

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is not the statement or heart of a believer EWF. Sorry...no other way to say this....can you show anyone who says such things in scripture???

God must allow you to sin as you please??? really:Cautious:Cautious:Cautious

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, did you ever observe David? He sinned then repented, sinned then repented. It was a particular pattern with him. I’m not saying I am David, I don’t have his lusts, his appetite to sin however if the opportunity to enrich my family so they could be better off in this world, I might just take it... and I will view it as an opportunity not a sin. I have shown you two synarios the world presented themselves one I did not take, that to me was scummy so I passed that then ruined my planned marriage. But that is the way some people live ... setting up cash businesses, laundering money, appealing to the lusts of men and the world rewards them... I have never done that, choosing instead to work an honest living, being totally ruined in the last recession and having to start all over in 2008. That’s hard when your older. The hardships are more then doubled when people become ill & you know that from your own experiences my friend.

Now a guy like your current president would call me a looser, Because I did not take advantage... this is what the world shows you, that proberty has no merit, that the ones who get ahead are the ones willing to cross the line, game the system, bend or even break the rules... they become preeminent while we remain obscure. Tony my brother, no more.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW! That's a whole lot of anti-Scriptural sentiment in one line. I can't understand how you value the Bible and yet hold to such base ideas.

And you profess to appreciate the works of DML-J to top it off. I can't see any growth in spiritual matters as you express them on the BB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mind your own business.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with EWF on this one Iconoclast. Not so much that He (God) MUST allow but what He DOES allow - look:

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

This passage proves that our Father has left it up to us as an exercise of our will to chose sin or not to sin.
    He also has given us Jesus Christ as our advocate (lawyer) to represent us in the court of heaven when we do sin.

and

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We are given these verses of forgiveness to bring us back to our feet when we fall.

Most sin in our lives is of such a nature that we would if we could push a button that would cease the temptation.

Some is outright rebellion for which we will go to the woodshed (unless we are illegitimate).

EWF must make up his own mind (as we all should) as to the "quality" of adoration and worship of God we desire to bring into the holy of holies made accessible to all of us by the vicarious blood atonement of Jesus Christ.

Each of us will at the end of the day present ourselves at the Bema seat and give an account of the deeds done in the body.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Gold, silver and precious gems or wood, hay and stubble?
    We are free to chose.

HankD

#73 HankD, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Soul Competency THE Baptist Distinctive?