1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Being upfront

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'm not against that.

I am simply saying that the Southern Baptist Convention is open to Calvinism.

So it should be assumed that her churches that do not identify themselves as closed to it are like the denomination of which they are a part.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Sorry to toss the tangent, Luke were the Pilgrims Puritans? If so, then the USDA in their diversity training is teaching that they were illegal immigrants. WOW.
    I thought the Left, liked illegal immigrants?

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right. But to bring it back to the subject matter, the Pilgrim were Calvinist separatists and they were followed by Calvinist Puritans.

Should Arminian leaning candidates be up front and say, "Before we go any further I just want you to know that I am severely at theological odds with the pilgrims, puritans and most of the founders of this nation.

4. quantumfaith

How many times do I have to respond Yes?

5. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Ok, great.

What we need then is for Al Mohler to go around to all the churches looking for pastors that he can and tell them to be sure and ask the candidate if his soteriology is consistent with the pilgrims, puritans, founders, Great Awakening, William Carey, Charles Spurgeon, R. G. Lee, W. A. Criswell, etc...

And if Calvinism takes the position once again as the predominate view point of the Southern Baptist Convention, which it seems to be doing, then all Calvinist leaders in that day should move heaven and earth to see to it that no Arminian leaning pastoral candidate stands a chance in hell of getting a church in the SBC.

Right?

7. quantumfaith

ummmmmm....whatever

8. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Right! If Calvinism became the predominant view then non-Cal pastoral candidates should be transparent about their beliefs. Actually all sides should be transparent regardless of the predominant view.

Congrats Luke you have solved the problem!

9. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Gents...This is a REAL issue of our age...I LOVE my Calvinist brethren....but it's a discussion which MUST be understood within context. Strangely....it isn't "us vs. them" It's whether we should Associate.....and it's not an easy discussion to have.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A 9Marksist's approach:

http://www.9marks.org/blog/secrecy-pastoral-searches

11. quantumfaith

I completely agree, however, I do not discount the possibility that there may be that rare church that could love, respect and cooperate with one another in a "bi-partisan" way. It would require amazing leadership skills on the part of the pastor and staff and tempered with genuine grace on the part of everyone.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Do you not think these splits took place when young Arminians did the same thing to the SBC 100 years ago?

Do you think Arminians came to largely Calvinist churches touting their Arminianism?

Or do you think they knew the denomination welcomed them so they entered these churches, preached their doctrines and let the best side win (become the predominate view point).

It is REsurging not just surging. It is resurging in a movement it was instrumental in starting to begin with.

In 1700 Baptists had almost died in America. There were only 24 baptist churches in America.

Then the Great Awakening (a thoroughly Calvinistic revival) took hold. By 1790 there were almost 1,000 baptist churches.

It was only 55 years later that Baptists in the South split from the Triennial convention.

There is NO QUESTION, even if you gave Arminians the Sandy Creek movement (which would not be fully accurate) that the SBC was LARGELY Calvinistic in its moorings.

Its first seminary and, to this day- its largest seminary, is Calvinist.

What if the SBC had taken the stand that they would not sanction and support Home and Foreign Missionaries who were not Calvinists?

Two things would happen:

1- There would be no Calvinist vs Arminian issue like there is today in the SBC.

2- There may not BE an SBC. Calvinism had become dry and formal. Were it not for Arminian fervor the movement might have died.

The same thing is true today. Except reverse the positions.

Not when those Arminian churches inherited funds and benefits from Calvinists of a few generations ago.

Ok then. Then NOBODY is doing it right. It is a wash.

The Arminian can't rightly criticize the Calvinist for not being up front when Arminians are not being up front either.

I think neither needs to identify themselves unless asked.

Negligible. Wesley's impact was felt in England mostly in his day and Asbury and his followers did not give us many Baptist churches- just Methodist ones.

Arminians who took over a largely Calvinist denomination and benefited from a missions structure already in place, dug out by Calvinists for the most part, from whence to launch their Arminianism.

And reverse the roles a hundred years ago...

"kinda" is not an accurate term to describe what Calvinists are doing in many SBC churches- like Platt's church for example.

They shouldn't HAVE to- the denomination EMBRACES that teaching- along with the idea that God sure wishes he could save more but he just can't :thumbs:

Yes, Arminians should leave the denomination and start their own. I agree.:thumbs:

13. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Lemme pose a scenario:

Would you invite (as a Senior Pastor) an "Arminian" or brilliant and informed "Molinist" to apply as a viable candidate for an Associate's position at your churches?
    SHOULD a dedicated Calvinist (Senior Pastor) knowingly hire an Associate Pastor who was truly dedicated to the truth-claims of Arminianism...and if so, what level of "freedom" should he posses to teach his views of Soteriology in classes and even the pulpit itself???

This isn't easy folks...not easy at ALL IMO.....
    If I were a Senior Pastor..My position...I'd give Luke "MY" Pulpit all day...but, there would be LIMITS...places that the "Spirit" simply was NOT authorized to let him go...

If "The Spirit of God" demanded that by his leading...Luke divulged the "truths" commonly understood as Calvinism...
    IT would be MY JOB!!! to bring him down from that pulpit and "stifle" the "Spirit's" leading as he led Luke to preach thus..

See how hard that is?

It's not so simple as 1,2,3 IMO

This isn't an easy question.

14. quantumfaith

Isn't this the reason behind many SBC churches splitting. Half of the church felt the Lord wants red carpet, the other half feels the Lord is leading toward green carpet? :)

15. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

NO...it isn't...

I do NOT relegate the "Cal/Arm" debate to a carpet-color one.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I gotta go- I got a church activity tonight so I can't address this fully.

But I would start a thread about what this "Spirit of God demanded..." stuff means if I had time.

I think this is a wrong way to think.

17. quantumfaith

I think, maybe intentionally so, you missed the perhaps "obscure" point. The analogy is actually quite simple. Some feel lea down this path, others feel led down that path.
    And I am confident that you KNOW I was not attempting to be disparaging.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have zero knowledge of SBC (what I see I dont like) but you throw around commentary like this so do you have statistics to back this up? Where is the growth indicators?

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alexander Campbell and 'Raccoon' John Smith ripped the Old Baptists apart right here in the Bluegrass early 1800s and spawned the COC.

Arminian to the hilt.

Right here in my county large 'Christian' denomination churches that first began as Baptists.

#39 kyredneck, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  20. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

#40 HeirofSalvation, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.