1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved'

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Dec 24, 2015.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Indeed. I ask you: What are you blathering about this time?
    Search away.
    Better yet, search the Bible. It will do more good for you.
    Search the Bible and show me one verse where it commands the unbeliever to "repent of all his sins."
    Will you do at least that much for me.

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he's embraced a very conflicted notion that God super-imposes upon the human FIRST to give the human spiritual life, but that God requires acts of contrition by the human before life is granted.

Ehhh?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I see. By your testimony here are you saying you don't believe in repentance now?
    You simply ask for mercy instead. There are many that ask for mercy and yet never repent. Pharaoh asked for mercy after each and every plague but never repented.
    I don't deny repentance. I never have. But in this post it seems like you have denied repentance, or perhaps you would like to clarify your position.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    here from A BAPTIST CATECHISM WITH COMMENTARY ...By WR DOWNING...question 90

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the catechism I subscribe to. You cannot begin to answer it...it is solid biblical teaching that eludes you.... I do not post it for you because you do not desire an answer...so I post it to help others who desire biblical teaching. This link and the link to the 1689 offer correct teaching which is like an Oasis after reading your barren fruitless posts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do we access the last three years posts....the archives only show up to 2008

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here for any who enjoy studying bible truth ...from J.P.BOYCE;

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    here is baptist AWPINK;

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very helpful in that Renihan perfectly describes my dilemma.
    His most helpful statement :"human language cannot contain who and what God is".
    To me this supports my comfort zone of the mystery and human incomprehensibility of God and His persona. I'll continue in the series.

HankD

• Like Like x 3
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.hannoveribc.com/clientimages/25727/pink repentance.pdf

For the teachings of the Prophets see Psa. 32:3-5;
    Prov. 28:13; Jer. 4:4; Ezek. 18:30-32; Hosea 5:15;
    Joel
    2:12-18. John the Baptist, the forerunner of Christ, preached saying, “Repent ye, for the kingdom of
    heaven is at hand”(Matt. 3:2). This was as though he said,
    “Such is the nature of the Messiah’s kingdom, so holy isit, that no impenitent sinner, while such, can be a member of it and share its blessings. The promised One is on the eve of making His appearance: therefore repent ye, and thus be prepared to receive Him.” Thus did
    John preach, and many did he turn the Lord their God: Luke 1:16, 17.
    The Lord Jesus taught and constantly pressed the same truth. His call was, “Repent ye, and believe theGospel” (Mark 1:15): the Gospel cannot be savingly believed until there is genuine repentance — as the ground must be plowed before it is capable of receiving the seed, so the heart must be melted ere it will welcome the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Therefore did He declare, “Blessed are they that mourn, forthey shall be comforted” (Matt. 5:4), and announce that He had been sent “to heal the
    broken-hearted” (Luke4:18). He came here to “call sinners to repentance”
    (Luke 5:32), and insisted that
    “Except ye repent,ye shall all likewise perish”(Luke 13:3, 5). He illustrated this truth at length in the parable of the prodigal son, who "came to himself,” repented,
    left the “far country” and returned to the Father, and so obtained his
    forgiveness (Luke 15:17-20).
    When risen from the dead, Christ commissioned His servants “That repentance
    and remission of sins should be preached in His name among
    all nations” (Luke 24:47), and Acts 5:31 tells us that He has been
    exalted on high to communicate these blessings in the same order, namely, to give repentance to (the
    spiritual) Israeland forgiveness of sins.” Accordingly we find the Apostles, who were filled with the Holy
    Spirit, thus carrying out His command. On the Day of Pentecost when many were “pricked in their hearts”
    and asked “what shall we do?”, Peter did not say, Do nothing but rest upon the finished work of Christ
    Instead, he said, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins” (Acts 2:38). Again, in Acts 3:19 we find him
    saying, “Repent ye therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out!”
    When Paul was converted and sent to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles, it was to “open their eyes and to turn them from darkness to light and from the power of Satan unto God,
    thatthey might receive forgiveness of sins” (Acts 26:18); hence we find he went everywhere and preached to men that they should “repent and turn to God and do works meet for repentance” (Acts
    26:20), “testifying to both Jews and also to the Greeks,repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ”(Acts 20:21). As to those who shut theireyes, stopped their ears, hardened their hearts, and were given up to destruction in the days of the Prophets
    (Isa. 6:10), of Christ (Matt. 13:15), and of the Apostles (Acts 28:27), their sentence ran thus: “Lest
    theyshould see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and be converted, and I shouldheal them,” which compared with Mark 4:12 signifies “and their sins should be forgiven them”.
    Against these clear and consistent testimonies of Holy Writ, certain men have insisted that the Divine
    call to repentance was never made to any except those who were in covenant relationship with God. But as we have shown, Acts 17:30 and 26:20 clearly expose this error. Some have pointed out that the word “repent” is not once found in all John’s Gospel, and in view of 20:31 have
    reasoned
    that it is not necessary
    unto salvation. But John’s Gospel is plainly addressed unto those who aresaved (see 1:16). It is that Gospelwhich sets forth the Son in relation to the sons of God. John 20:31 obviously means that this Gospel is written to strengthen
    the faith of believers; as I John 5:13 (addressed to those who already knew they were
    saved: see 2:3 etc.) signifies the purpose of that
    epistle was to deepen assurance. Others have drawn a false inference from the very infrequent mention of repentance in the Epistles, but they also are addressed to thesaints; yet 2 Cor. 7:10; 2 Tim. 2:25; 2 Pet. 3:9 manifestly confirm the fact that repentance is required throughout this dispensation.
    “There is no newthing under the sun” (Eccl. 1:9), nor is the present-day denial of the necessity of
    repentance for salvation any twentieth century novelty. In proof of this statement we could fill page
    after page with quotations from Anti-nomians and others who lived long before “dispensational truth” was first heard of. No, it is an old device of Satan’s yet under a new dress. But woe unto those who accept hislie.
    God must cease to exist before He will lower His claims and cease demanding repentance from all who have rebelled against Him. Make no mistake upon this point, dear reader:
    it is turn or burn— turn from yourcourse of self-will and self-pleasing; turn in broken-heartedness unto God, seeking His mercy in Christ; turnwith full purpose to please and serve Him, or be to
    rmented day and night forever and ever in the Lakeof Fire

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes indeed...I found this simple and yet very biblically profound! Glad you followed up on it and listened...as time permits I would like to outline and build on these messages

http://www.rbap.net/our-books/confe...onfessional-doctrine-of-divine-impassibility/

#113 Iconoclast, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So it is a Catechism. This is a debate forum. You quoting a Catechism to my answer shows your inability to respond to my post or answer to a post. It is not debate but rather the inability to debate. You never answered my post.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not my problem.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, this is simple. You keep saying one needs to "repent of their sins" to be saved. I keep asking for scripture that says so. You keep posting confessions of faith, catechisms, and other human opinions, full of scriptures but not one verse that says "repent of your sins".

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo using Tapatalk.

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to quote one small paragraph. What caught my eye the most in the paragraph is in bold.
    "Others, in their recoil from salvation by reformation, have failed to duly preserve the balance of truth, and give proper place to such Scriptures as “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper; but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy” (Prov. 28:13), and “Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts, and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon Him” (Isa. 55:7). It is not that there is anything meritorious in a sinner’s compliance with this righteous demand of God, but that the claims of the Holy One must be pressed on those who have transgressed against Him. Yet that is just the thing the haughty rebel desires to hear about least of all, and the sad thing is that so many are now, wittingly or unwittingly, withholding that which is unpalatable to men but which is honouring to God. How widespread this withholding is, may be quickly discovered by an examination of present-day tracts purporting to explain how a sinner may be saved: in most of them not a word is said about repentance."
    When I read "salvation by reformation" all kinds of alarm bells and discomfort comes to mind. For there is no salvation in self reformation, rather all reforming of a believer is authored by the Father through that conduit called sanctification in which the believer must use to quench some aspect unpleasing to the Father. Salvation and reformation are never to be confused, for one must come before the other has any true heavenly grace.

Having said that, I do NOT think that Pink is placing one can be "saved by reformation" as one might suggest a passing through is made by reforming, but rather the results of Salvation is reformation. Reformation of thinking, of heart desire, or agenda, of priorities...

There is another aspect in which I would also draw from the Scriptures. That is the imparting of the truth and need of reformation is giving in Love. The Father, through the Holy Spirit, guiding the believer into all truth does nothing but what is loving to His own. That is why the claim of Scriptures, "all things work together for the good..." is so very precious. Romans 8:
    "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified."​

Too often, the teachers of religion neglect to point out that ALL believers WILL be conformed. It is what the Father ordained.

Repentance, in its purest form then is the natural cry of the believer as the Father's working power flows through the conduit of sanctification bringing that believer not only into awareness and compliance, but to the very image of His Son.

I am not arguing so much against Pink, but against the idea that repentance is self generated, and self imposed. Such repentance is mere remorse such as Judas experienced which drove him to hang himself.

2 Corinthians makes this distinction that (IMO) is neglected by some both of the reformed thinking and those who are not.
    "I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. 10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. 11 For behold what earnestness this very thing, this godly sorrow, has produced in you: what vindication of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what avenging of wrong! In everything you demonstrated yourselves to be innocent in the matter."​

John states (1 John)
    "See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure....
    "Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil."​

Here then must be the distinction that all must come to understand.

ALL will suffer remorse for wrong. That is part of the human nature. The remorse and repentance from God is not condemnation, but impulses of love to guide in purging and cleansing that the believer be more usable and tuned to the will of the Father. There is no regret associated with that repentance, but an understanding that the Father's will is to be expressed in and through the believer (us).

The remorse of the worldly is not of the same result, but ultimately brings death.

One other observation.

When the believer witnesses of the Christ, it is the HOLY SPIRIT that must convict and convince of sin, righteousness, judgment and NOT the witness's responsibility. It is not our job, for we have not been given such authority over the heart.

That in no way means or should be taken to mean that the presentation should be devoid of statements in Scripture given about the judgement, the righteousness and the sin. But it is the Scripture the Holy Spirit uses. That use is up to God to produce what HE desires in each person. We are merely the delivery mechanism God has chosen. We are not responsible that every person is convinced or convicted.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK,
    Are you KJV preferred or only? I've forgotten.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>