1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved'

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

OK, that would be pride and a personal struggle and we all have those. Presuming then upon your judgment of self as such, maybe the following is also where you struggle as well, or perhaps you are assuming this on others?

Bro, as far as I know, and I could be wrong, no one here believes that doctrinal purity is the sole measure of Christ's approval.

But rest assured doctrinal purity is a gravely important matter (2 Timothy 4, Jude, 1 & 2 John). Of course you know this. There is no commendation for error, only shame brought upon self for falling short (2 Timothy 2:15).

Doctrinal error is always to be stood against, especially so when it is propagated, as on here. That said there is no trivializing of such a stance in all of Scripture.

One element of the approval of Christ for standing for the Word and truth is suffering; 2 Timothy 2:8-10; 4:1ff; Revelation 1: Revelation 1:9; Php. 1:29.

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He might approve if you explain why Isaac was called the "only son" of Abraham.

After all, you were asked 25-30 posts ago.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes sometimes I do.

Sometimes the fruit of the discussion appears to say something to the contrary because of the lack of love. Realizing of course that this is a debate forum, but often the criticism is borderline verbal abuse (IMO) and even crosses the line on ocassion.

I totally agree IT.
    However there is also the spiritual dimension of agape and the fruit of the Spirit in the correction of error.

2 Timothy 2
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

God's results require God's methods.

And I understand that we must also "contend" for the faith which requires wisdom and discernment to know which is appropriate.

Personally, my perception is that we often go overboard with the "contending" part with one-ups-man-ship, insults and innuendo.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, (unto the promises)

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Why is Jesus the only begotten of the Father?

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1689;
    . Such of the elect as are converted at riper years, having sometime lived in the state of nature, and therein served divers lusts and pleasures, God in their effectual calling giveth them repentance unto life.

2. Whereas there is none that doth good, and sinneth not, and the best of men may through the power and deceitfulness of their corruptions dwelling in them, with the prevalency of temptation, fall into great sins and provocations; God hath in the covenant of grace mercifully provided, that believers so sinning and falling, be renewed through repentance unto salvation.

3. This saving repentance is an evangelical grace, whereby a person being by the Holy Ghost made sensible of the manifold evils of his sin, doth by faith in Christ humble himself for it with godly sorrow, detestation of it, and self-abhorrence, praying for pardon and strength of grace, with a purpose, and endeavour by supplies of the Spirit, to walk before God unto all well-pleasing in all things.

4. As repentance is to be continued through the whole course of our lives, upon the account of the body of death, and the motions thereof; so it is every man's duty to repent of his particular known sins particularly.

5. Such is the provision which God hath made through Christ in the covenant of grace, for the preservation of believers unto salvation, that although there is no sin so small, but it deserves damnation; yet there is no sin so great, that it shall bring damnation on them who truly repent; which makes the constant preaching of repentance necessary.

#86 Iconoclast, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you disagreed with ITL, you didn't show how or why, neither did you refer to the Word of God.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    WELL ITL we no longer have to look in the archives as we have a volunteer
    look right here on this thread,,,,

ITL here is what many baptists have believed and were taught;
    from JL DAGG;
    This shallow explanation is to be rejected....this is a mere intellectual transaction which sinners do not make apart from God's grace anyhow. It is only a weak partial half hearted description.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not at all done...just starting outCautiousCautiousCautiousCautious

• Like Like x 1
  10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't pay much heed to man made catechisms.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    RM said this about those who deny repentance for salvation;
    Revmitchell said: ↑
    There are some on this board who hold that position.

ITL you asked this;
    here you go

Do you see this confusion ITL?

Answer....yes.....which sins are you holding onto DHK? Which sins, which of the ten commandments can you break and practice and still go to heaven?

Yes DHK....you need to even give up your pet sins...you cannot hold onto them!Cool
    Yes... you can just pray asking God to forgive you for all past sins, sins you know of, sins of ignorance, you can confess and forsake them all.

What fits that description is you claiming repentance is not taught in the NT.SneakyGiggleo_OConfusedThumbsdown

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that repentance is a necessary component of salvation. I also agree with DHK in this instance, "repentance of sin" is not a scriptural phrase. Unregenerates can feel sorry for their sin, they can even repent of their sins--the thief can quit stealing, the adulterer can stop cheating, the drunk can stop drinking.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know I read your posts...if that is the barometer...you do not pay attention to scripture eitherUnsureUnsureUnsure

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just stop it with the personal attacks. You use an unscriptural term "repent of your sins", you quote catechisms that use that phrase, you cite writings by other humans, then you tell me I don't pay attention to scripture!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What verses have you offered????

You have 8 posts on here ....no scripture in any of them...the catechism s and confessions use scripture
    here from the 1689;
    CHAPTER 15; OF REPENTANCE UNTO LIFE AND SALVATION

Paragraph 1. Such of the elect that are converted at riper years, having sometime lived in the state of nature, and therein served divers pleasures, God in their effectual calling gives them repentance to life.1
    Titus 3:2-5

Paragraph 2. Whereas there is none that does good and does not sin,2 and the best of men may, through the power and deceitfulness of their corruption dwelling in them, with the prevalency of temptation, fall in to great sins and provocations; God has, in the covenant of grace, mercifully provided that believers so sinning and falling be renewed through repentance unto salvation.3
    Eccles. 7:20
    3 Luke 22:31,32

Paragraph 3. This saving repentance is an evangelical grace,4 whereby a person, being by the Holy Spirit made sensible of the manifold evils of his sin, does, by faith in Christ, humble himself for it with godly sorrow, detestation of it, and self-abhorrancy,5 praying for pardon and strength of grace, with a purpose and endeavor, by supplies of the Spirit, to walk before God unto all well-pleasing in all things.6
    Zech. 12:10; Acts 11:18
    5 Ezek. 36:31; 2 Cor. 7:11
    6 Ps. 119:6,128

Paragraph 4. As repentance is to be continued through the whole course of our lives, upon the account of the body of death, and the motions thereof, so it is every man’s duty to repent of his particular known sins particularly.7
    Luke 19:8; 1 Tim. 1:13,15

Paragraph 5. Such is the provision which God has made through Christ in the covenant of grace for the preservation of believers unto salvation, that although there is no sin so small but it deserves damnation,8 yet there is no sin so great that it shall bring damnation to them that repent,9 which makes the constant preaching of repentance necessary.
    8 Rom. 6:23
    9 Isa. 1:16-18, 55:7

This confession used 18 verses...in 8 posts you have not used the scripture yet, in fact when was the last time you offered a scripture verse?

#96 Iconoclast, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is not a personal attack if it is an accurate observation and factual is it?

Show me a post where you have used scripture??? I might have missed it if you did....??? even from another thread...where was it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So you have rejected a reasoned explanation and a scholarly definition of "repentance."
    And you have accepted a definition which is somewhat heretical. Ironic.

Let's go with your definition of repentance, or at least the one I say is wrong and by implication you approve.
    "The Bible does not teach for an unsaved person to repent of all their sins. That is not what repentance is."
    The above statement is what you vehemently disagree with.

Thus I ask you as I have before, before or at the time that you were saved, Did you even remember much less confess ALL your sins to the Lord in order that you could repent of them? Did you enumerate them all from childhood onward repenting of each and everyone--repenting of all your sins!

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Make available the last 3 years archives and I will post all your posts that you did not delete as yet as prooThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupCautiousf

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes I did... All My sins are known to God....so when I asked God to have mercy on me for all my sins He did. The God I worship says He will do that very thing.
    8 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.

19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

The fact that you seek to go to an absurd example to try and cover the fact that you deny repentance is grace for all Christians is totally ludicrous.....Cautious:(CautiousThumbsdownThumbsdown

• Agree Agree x 1