By faith alone or by faith and acting?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 1, 2012.

1. seekingthetruth New Member

Ahhhh redneck, i am sorry

Would you forgive me if I let you wash my feet?

John

2. preacher4truth Active Member

John, I'm disappointed in your behavior.

3. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post reported.

"The post is inflammatory in that an insult is intended to the Old Baptist practice of feet washing."

4. slave 4 Christ New Member

Sir, Your premise is noted. Now could you please take steps to give proof of its verity. If what Luke said is a lie, surely it can be proven as such.
    Thanks for your cooperation.

5. jbh28 Active Member

seekingthetruth, please stop the person attacks on others that disagree with you. This is not a Christlike way to post.

6. Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My, things are getting thick around here!

1) Luke, since I understand you are working on your academics, please do yourself a favor and take a class in Philosophy - Basic Logic so you can tell difference between valid and invalid claims and recognize fallacious statements. It’s embarrassing to see you shame yourself with that type of reasoning.

2) You are treading on dangerous ground and sounding cultic in your zealousy to stand on the flawed systematic determinist' principles of men and prophesying/claiming that Christ is the author them. Get your priorities in order and stop the idol worship!

7. Amy.G New Member

Actually the word simplicity refers to a singleness, a pure devotion to Christ. It doesn't mean uncomplicated. But some make it complicated.

It doesn't teach what?

I don't care what society thinks.

Is that what's wrong with this country? I thought it was because we had turned away from God and replaced Him with the idolization of ourselves. We just need more deep thinkers and God will be pleased.

Simplicity in this verse means foolishness. The fool is one that is in rebellion to God. The knowledge that he hates is the wisdom that comes from God. This verse has nothing to do with the "deep thinkers" of scripture.

I love to study the deep things of scripture. I study everyday. But this thread has made something as simple as faith into something so obscure and complicated that I can't figure out what you're talking about. But I do understand what Jesus said. If an unbeliever was to ask what is faith and began to read this thread, he wouldn't have a clue what faith is. Not that he needs to. When God saves us, we just believe and rejoice. Very uncomplicated.

8. seekingthetruth New Member

Ok, I apologise.

But when you start calling Jesus a Calvinist, I get really upset.

You guys can believe whatever garbage you want to, but don't put it on my Savior, please.

John

9. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you point to Prov 1:22 and say that this verse is actually talking about "going deeper" into scripture?

10. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one's arguing that. My concern here is your use of a verse that, when taken in context, doesn't mean what you're using it to mean. That's a tactic used by ifb kjvo pastors to support their positions rather than scriptural positions, and should be avoided.

11. Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

But you've refused to deal with my actual words Luke, but instead read your words into what I write and then go on to draw unfounded and ridiculous conclusions. Just as you do here...

Those are Luke's words, and now my words...

"Salvation is by 'LIVING FAITH' which WILL act. Dead faith doesn't act." (see James, who you, like Luther, choose to ignore)

You mean like AA Hodge and C Hodges' views are identical to yours regarding the atonement? Yet the quotes I provided proved you wrong yet again... :smilewinkgrin:

Really?

“MacArthur writes that faith ‘encompasses obedience,’ and that obedience is ‘an integral part of saving faith.’ Indeed, obedience is bound up in the very ‘definition of faith,’ being a constitutive element in what it means to believe.’ Thus any ‘concept of faith that excludes obedience’ must be rejected because obedience is ‘indivisibly wrapped up in the idea of believing.’ In fact, ‘the character of true faith’ is nothing less than the ‘higher righteousness’ of the Beatitudes of Matthew 5:3-11.8 MacArthur even suggests that obedience is ‘synonymous with’ faith. And he quotes with approval Rudolf Bultmann's dictum, ‘To believe’ is ‘to obey.’” References from: MacArthur's Book called "Faith Works."

Do you ever get tired of being wrong Luke? :smilewinkgrin:

Strawman. Quote my actual words Luke. I never said any of these things.

:laugh:

All I did was quote scripture and this is the conclusion you draw??? Hilarious. wow... You can and will read whatever you want into whatever you want, won't you Luke?

Quote me in context and we will discuss it... but I never said that.

So why don't the demons act? You have yet to draw a distinction between living and dead faith Luke. READ JAMES!

This is the mistake Calvinists always seem to make. They assume if someone really understands something that they must accept it, and if they believe something they must act in accordance with it. I understand Liberalism but I reject it. I believe dieting is better for my health but I don't want to diet. We make choices against what we believe all the time and to deny that reality is just .... naive.

Read "Faith Works" by MacArthur and come back so we can have a more informed discussion on the subject.

12. preacher4truth Active Member

Don,

I don't recall going there or saying that, nor even implying it.

I asked you a question.

In addition, are you applying Proverbs 1:22 somehow as to your meaning in your above question? Please share.

13. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm avoiding your question, because it's rabbit-trailing away from this current rabbit-trail.

Amy mentioned simplicity of the gospel; Luke derided the post, going into his usual "deeper study" diatribe (which, as we all agree, is a worthy endeavor); but he used Proverbs 1:22 as support of his position. I then pointed out that Proverbs 1:22 is talking about the foolish who reject God, not actually support for Luke's position.

You then asked about verses that support the simplicity of the Gospel.

In the context in which I was posting, your question is meaningless, although worthy of another thread.

14. preacher4truth Active Member

Well, being honest here bro, I didn't read that far back into the thread, so I didn't see Amy's comments, nor Luke2427's.

For the record, I wasn't putting out a leading question for a rabbit trail, I simply wanted to know your position there. Nothing more, nothing less.

15. DaChaser1 New Member

technically you are correct, it was the HOLY SPIRIT who authored them!

16. seekingthetruth New Member

What????

[snipped]

John

17. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post reported.

18. seekingthetruth New Member

Report me all you want to. Until you can prove that the HS was the author of DoG, then it is a lie!!!!!!

John

19. DaChaser1 New Member

Did the HS author the bible or not?

20. seekingthetruth New Member

Yes, but DoG does not repesent the Bible!!!!

The HS did not author the DoG

[inflammatory]

John