1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cage Staged Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What had you been taught that you resented? Just curious.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I felt that way when I saw That the RC teaching was mostly not in the bible.

I did not struggle with election, or predestination from day one. I did not understand it all, but knew that God was in absolute control, without any doubt having read Ephesians 1.
    That God would save me when I was trying to resist scripture,I did not need anyone to explain salvation was all of God.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The most horrendous lie is that folks could spend eternity in torment on account of slacking soul winners. That's the one that still to this day makes me angry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The only way a person remains in that condition for a length of time is if they are a lone ranger type, or in a non reformed church.
    In a solid church that teaches the doctrines of grace, a cage stager is quickly taken under the wing of the eldership, or those mature in the faith and in the words of Acts18:
    maybe the first cage stager;

24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.

25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes the greatest error in doctrine is how one holds that doctrine. Perhaps that may even be one's only error...but even then it is enough to make an enemy of a brother. It is the worst type of "heresy" within genuine Christinity.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture teaches that the most horrendous thing a Christian can do is to become a stumbling block. Scripture also teaches this can be accomplished by truth and error, both being a grievous sin.

Regardless of of what you had been taught, I am sorry you were betrayed by others you trusted. Professing Christians are, sometimes, the most hate filled.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess we all have our hills we are willing to die on. Mine is abortion. I will completely and totally disfellowship with a fellow "believer" over the right to life and protecting the unborn. That carries over to politics because that is where the issue will be decided.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see why. Calvinism teaches aggressive evangelism.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it comes to politics abortion is the only issue I consider. Until the murder of children is off the table no other political issues are worth discussing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't Calvinists that were propagating the horrendous lie, it was the evangelical Southern Baptist church that I grew up in. I'll never forget the sermons, something along the lines of:

"On the day of judgement there'll be those bound for hell that will point the fingers at you and say "I'm going to hell because you never told me about Jesus Christ"".

That's just about verbatim.

Is that what you believe?

#130 kyredneck, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honestly do not know what it will be like when believers stand before Christ. We won't be at the great white throne judgment so I doubt seriously those who are will be communicating with us.

This does touch on one of the practical problematic implications of Calvinism. Even though the doctrine stresses evangelism, many use the doctrine as an excuse not to evangelize.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think many who became Calvinists feel they've been lied to and cheated by their former teachers. And it's natural to go after them. The big question is about motive. If in love for God and others it balances out. But the flesh can abuse the power in the doctrines for unwholesome reasons. I think all need to preach the doctrines in the same frame of mind we partake of the bread and cup.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the answer is twofold.

Scriprure tells us that it is God who saves (men do not dispense salvation). But at the same the men are responsible for sharig (or their not sharing) of the gospel.

The one who is an obstacle will be judged for such (it is better that a mill stone...), but that does not mean that the one is an obstacle to God.

I've been a member of SBC churches for over 40 years. This is the first time I heard of the idea of people in Hell accusing Christians for their unfaithfulness. Depending on the context, those people may have been very biblical.

14. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fight the LGBT agenda as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did at one time. Now I don't (I see it as any other sinful lifestyle). I got to the point where I say "let the world be the world".

I am a bit of a pessimist when it comes to politics.

16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the people actively petition (and win) with the government to make a once illegal lifestyle legal and force it on the rest of us, it is no longer "the same as any other sinful lifestyle"

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'The judgement' isn't the issue. It's the placing of an impossible burden upon God's lambs through the preaching of a lie, BY EVANGELICAL NON-CALVINISTS.

I'm touching on major 'practical problematic implications' of evangelical non-Calvinism.

Yes or no. Can any act of commission or omission on your part result in another going to hell, or heaven?

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The government is supposed to represent the people. Do you believe the majority of Americans belong to Christ or the World?

I believe the latter. As I said, I'm a pessimist.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, honest disagreements in doctrine do not make the side you disagree with liars. Some may willingly lie, most are not. They believe what they say. You would need to prove them wrong before even considering leveling the accusation of "liar".

As a classical Arminian, the answer to your question would be a yes with the qualifier that no action by me can lead anyone to Christ unless The Spirit calls him.
    I usually don't answer yes or no questions."Did you stop beating your wife yet? Yes or no."

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't believe the majority of Americans belong to Christ, but that is irrelevant to what I said. With that logic you shouldn't be up in arms about abortion either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.