1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Call for a little more honesty

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first taste of undergraduate biblical training was at a school that approached evangelism in this manner. While it is popular to call it "easy believism", the genesis of this type of evangelism can be traced to Charles Finney and his brand of Revivalism. Finney was heavy on decision and light on repentance. Just get the sinner to say the prayer. What Finney started, many 20th-century evangelists perfected. I remember the altar calls at stadium and auditorium evangelism events that my bible college was famous for. Finney would be proud of things like, "If you can't stand for the Lord in a place like this surrounding by hundreds [or thousands] of His people, you won't stand for Him anywhere!" Or one of my favorites, "Grab the person next to you and bring them up front." And if they made a false profession? No problem! Come back to the next rally and we will get you to come forward and re-dedicate your life. We will even give you a little "spiritual birth certificate" sticker to put in the front of your Bible. When I remember this time in my life I feel a mixture of sadness and anger.

OK. My venting is done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The majority of leadership holds that view. Leadership is determined by majority vote at convention.

3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Convenient isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every scripture in the "Roman Road" is sound and biblical. Every preacher or soul-winner who uses it is not.
    Perhaps so, but Romans 10:13 says nothing about helping folks communicate through prayer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We grew up with the "Roman Road". It was an excellent tool to explain the gospel. We used it during E.E. (Evangelism Explosion). As a teen I always enjoyed going through the neighborhoods sharing the gospel. I don't think that would work these days because people tend not engage door to door folks.

But you are right. These things are tools that often get a bad rap, and from my experience normally from Calvinists. It is sad because many have shared testimonies of being reached with the gospel through the methods they now oppose.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool. Do you have any pictures of rlvaughn during the age of disco you'd like to share? :Biggrin

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. It sort of requires that a moderator would not do things that require rebuke. Otherwise Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who moderates the moderators? Who rebukes the rebukers?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh please, now you are gettng so ridiculous it is hard to even read what you have to say! I never said such a thing. I explained "church services" as referring to those services I attended at various churches. Of course the SBC does not hold church services.

The problem jon is that you are so bent on just winning an argument at any cost that you don't even bother to be fair or courteous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not have to read if you find it so ridiculous. Simply skip over my responses.

Basically I am saying we need to stay away from these types of generalizations because there are often people who recognize it as false to what they have experienced. Members should freely share their experiences and even their ideas. But when we start categorizing other Christian churches based on our experiences it can cause unnecessary complications (as evidenced by your responses).

To me it is very simple. Speak plainly about what you know. Do not speak about what you do not know. Do this with the purpose of building up a brother. Do not do this with the purpose of tearing down.

If by courteous you mean I should have simply let the implication of the initial charge slide, then you should have PM'd me and I would have obliged. People often say things that are not quite correct by accident. But I cannot know that unless you let me know. Next time simply PM me and tell me you'd appreciate it if I'd overlook the comment as it was a mistake you'd rather not engage. We only have the written word to go by on these forums.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Administrative staff moderates the moderators. (above that, I really don't know)

12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be nice to think they did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, you have it set to where people cannot PM you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth

15. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The membership moderates the moderators. If the moderation gets out of hand, the membership walks away and so do the sponsors.

I made it my practice to never moderate in the thread in which I was debating. If I felt moderation was necessary, I brought it before the council and let them decide.

A moderator moderating his own debate is about as productive as a coach officiating his own basketball game.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be good to know that they do.

Just as you know that they do based on conversations and reports that you have posted. Many have been discussed and actions have taken place. I am surprised you do not acknowledge these things - a thread was even deleted at your request.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the current policy.

The problem is one of communication. When another staff member moderates the thread in which a moderator is involved, the involved moderator typically "takes the blame".

Since early this year, however, moderators have not moderated their own threads or posts in which they were involved.

The only exception I can think of is when I was a "lone staff member" and posted at the start I was going to do so. This had been done previously by Tom. But that was the only exception that comes to mind.

18. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good practice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not have it set that way.

I do not know how this happened. @rlvaughn mentioned it but I thought it was an error.

Try to PM me and let me know if it goes through. It is set so that all members can PM me, but if this is not the case then perhaps @Squire Robertsson can lend a hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears whatever was going on a few weeks ago when i tried to message you has been resolved, can you confirm receipt of the PM?