Calvanism Disproven

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Guido, Jul 17, 2022.

1. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, when God commands Christians to proclaim the gospel to everyone, already knowing the overwhelming majority will reject the gospel, He is commanding Christians to proclaim a “damnable lie”? Really?

The only alternative is to claim God does not know who will believe. God is not omniscient in this view. That belief is a damnable lie.

peace to you

2. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin was not ignorant of biblical culture. He observed what was in the biblical text and wrote his observations of the text. Whether you agree with his observations is the question. However, to imply that Calvin didn't stick with the scriptures in his observations would be false.

3. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No its not the only alternative. You left out your own doctrine that says that God does not make those alive to be able to receive the gospel. That is not the same thing as can receive the gospel but refuses to.

4. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you were insulted that is your problem, not mine. No repentance necessary. I spoke a fact, you didn't like it. Not my problem.

5. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does not answer my objection.

6. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree with that assessment. They don't want the Gospel. They reject the Gospel because they are spiritually dead. That is still an active rejection.

7. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. God genuinely offers the gift to all.
    Not at all. God genuinely offers the gift to all.

8. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 22:2-14, ". . . The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son, And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come. Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise: And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them. But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy. Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage. So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests. And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen. . . ."

The wedding garment was a required condion to have been met. Receiving salvation as a gift is a required condition.

9. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it truly offered to all though? Is that what the Bible says? Only those granted by the Father can come.

10. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @37818 The problem here is you insist that it is an offer. No, it's not. God doesn't put salvation on snack plate and say "would you like some."
    God doesn't tell us to "offer" salvation. God tells us to make deciples and tell them to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. If they believe, it is because God chose to call them himself unto salvation. If they don't believe, it is because God has left them in their corruption of sin.
    We don't "offer" anything. That term is a man-centered term that puts the choice of salvation onto the human and emasculates the Spirit of God from doing the work.

11. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you mean to direct that to me? You should know by now I don't think it is an offer. God actually chose to save specific individuals.

12. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you understand this parable?

Jesus went to the chosen nation of Israel and called them to repentance. They did not come. Jesus brought in and chose others to be his guests. They came and he gave them official wedding garments. The man without the wedding garments is the person who thought he could gain the wedding by his own efforts rather than be chosen to come. Because he tried to get in on his own, he never received the wedding garments. The ruler quickly recognized that this was an uninvited guest and he tossed him out.

Moral of the story: Only those whom the master chooses will be at the wedding feast. All others are cast away into darkness.

13. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. I didn't see the person you were quoting so I quoted your comment and expressed how the idea of "offering" salvation is a man-centered, non-biblical means of presenting salvation. I know you do not hold that view.

14. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that means doing the Father's will. Matthew 7:21, ". . . but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. . . ." Since it cannot be merited, Romans 4:1-5. Hebrews 9:5. Not a work, Romans 11:6.

15. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t see the distinction. The accusation is that the gospel is not a genuine offer of salvation to all if God elects those that will be saved and brings them and only them to salvation by power of Holy Spirit.

If you believe this, then how can the gospel be a genuine offer of salvation to all if God already knows those who reject the gospel? That rejection is as certain as the elect being saved, since God has seen it and knows it.

peace to you

16. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better than you suppose.
    Revelation 3:5, Revelation 21:7-8. 1 John 5:1, 1 John 5:4-5. 1 John 5:9-13.

17. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God offered salvation to all who kept the OT Law. That was a genuine offer which Jesus repeated to the rich young noble.

God knew no one would keep the law. Not even one person. Was God lying? Of course not.

Scripture says all who believe the gospel will be saved and the gospel should be spread throughout the world. The offer is genuine, even if people are unable to receive it. All reject God’s offer, just as they rejected keeping OT law.

That God has chosen some for salvation and brought it about in His power is a testament to His mercy.

Peace to you

18. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure how to better communicate the distinction. Him knowing who will reject it and Him electing those to not be saved are not the same thing. Not sure how that clear distinction is not understood.

20. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They reject it because they have not been made alive (according to your doctrine) and they do not have the ability because God refused to make them alive. Therefore the offer is not genuine.