Calvinism, Arminianism, how can we find what is the true doctrine from God?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Hobie, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Sorry, but limited, by definition, is a restriction and thereby precludes all. Here is the progenitor of this heinous religion...

Calvin, Institutes, Book III, 22, 7 ---> "Hence it is that the whole world no longer belongs to its Creator, except in so far as grace rescues from malediction, divine wrath, and eternal death, some, not many, who would otherwise perish, while he leaves the world to the destruction to which it is doomed. Meanwhile, though Christ interpose as a Mediator, yet he claims the right of electing in common with the Father, “I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen” (John 13:18). If it is asked whence he has chosen them, he answers in another passages “Out of the world;” which he excludes from his prayers when he commits his disciples to the Father (John 15:19). We must, indeed hold, when he affirms that he knows whom he has chosen, first, that some individuals of the human race are denoted; and, secondly, that they are not distinguished by the quality of their virtues, but by a heavenly decree."

Once again, this is the antithesis of the Christian religion, which offers salvation to ALL through Jesus Christ. This is why God became man and the invitation to follow Him is made to all men. This in complete contrast to the God of Calvinism, who offers salvation to those arbitrarily chosen to elect, while the rest of the poor saps he created never stood a chance at salvation because Calvin's God made them sheerly to take pleasure in seeing them destroyed.

2. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walpole, it seems you don't understand what Calvin is saying.

We preach to all, universally, yet we know only those for whom Christ died will believe.

If you want universal atonement then you also declare universal salvation. They are juxtaposed and intertwined so that you cannot separate them without choosing to live in contradiction.

3. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AustinC, it seems you do not understand there is no need to preach to all because not all can be saved. It is pointless. Calvin's God does all the work. Calvin's God does all the electing and Calvin's God does all the stacking of the pulpwood, completely arbitrarily. Calvin's God even tricks some people into thinking they are elect, only to pull the rug out from under them at the end. There is NOTHING you can do. You are actually wasting your time here because you don't know if you are even one of Calvin's elect, let alone if I am.

But here is the hope Christianity offers against this monstrous religion of Calvinism ---> Salvation is offered to ALL through Jesus Christ. This is the good news and this is why God became man.

What Scripture says ---> " For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

What Calvin's God says ---> "For God so hated the world that he gave his only begotten son as his personal whipping boy to unleash his wrath and damnation upon so that whosoever God arbitrarily chose to be elected may have everlasting life."

4. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preaching to all is commanded by God. He has not provided a list of who he has chosen. He, therefore tells us to go into all the world and make disciples.
    It is hardly pointless. It is God honoring to obey and speak the good news. We, God's servants, have no control over who God will make alive and cause to hear and believe.
    Walpole, you seem to think of evangelism as a means of tally marking how many you convert by means of coercion. I view evangelism as a work of obedience to the King. If no one is given faith through my witness, my witness is still glorifying God and that is enough. God will do the work. I will endeavour to be faithful. That's the point.
    I'm sorry if you cannot understand.

5. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You could never echo Pauls words, "The Gentiles are fellow heirs". Only that some might be.

It wasn't a mystery to him who Jesus died for and to who was being offered eternal life.

"and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things"

Again you can't echo this, for you everyone means "just me".

"being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge,"

ROOTED and GROUNDED IN LOVE. Your not even close, you call it weak emotionalism. You have NO comprehension as the saints know the love of Christ. You have a false shell. A cowards grasp of power and control. rooted and grounded in fear not in Love. Love is the highest power, God is LOVE. You don't allow yourself to be grounded there, reject God for your own evil idea of God, FEAR and POWER.

6. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

" He has not provided a list of who he has chosen."

Yes he has. Its obvious too.

1 John 3

10By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

1 John 2
    9The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now.

If you still hate everyone, you ain't even close to being born again.

John 13
    34“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

All men will know. Calvinist don't like that L-word. They don't like saying God is Love.

God has commanded ALL MEN to LOVE God and Love Neighbor. You got suckered by the devil into thinking there is a greater reward than Loving God. That there is a prize a "salvation" thats better then loving God.

You broke the first. Nothing is above God. Loving God is greater then all heaven. He wants, desires and commands it from everyone.

7. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you point to the verse that says all the Gentiles will be saved? I look forward to that verse.

8. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is love. God does not love sin. God does not love sinners. God loves his son. God loves all for whom the Holy Spirit has immersed into His Son.
    Is the entire world immersed into Christ Jesus, utilyan?

9. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"God does not love sinners."
    You are a sinner. So you think God hates you?

God Loves sinners.

Romans 5

6For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. 8But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Jesus Christ states God's love all people is the perfection we aim to achieve.

Matthew 5

43“You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ 44“But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46“For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47“If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48“Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

"Is the entire world immersed into Christ Jesus, utilyan?"
    We are commissioned to baptize and make disciples of all. All authority was given to Jesus Christ, he is the sustainer of all.

10. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The fact that preaching to all is commanded by God demonstrates the falsity of the Calvinist religion! Preaching would be futile based on true Calvinism because how exactly can you preach the gospel to all if Christ did not pay for the sins of all? If Christ did not pay for the sins of the non-elect, then there is no hope of salvation available to them. Preaching to all, in Calvin's religion, would be giving people false hope at best and lying to them at worst because they may be one of the arbitrarily chosen that God has made eternal pulpwood. Nothing you can say to them will change that. Nothing they can do will change that. They lost the coin flip to the cruel God of Calvinism who acts with pure will.

But, considering Calvin's God can and does lie and deceive, I suppose for Calvinists to follow his example and lie themselves is not an issue for them.

Once again...

What Scripture says ---> " For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

What Calvin's God says ---> "For God so hated the world that he gave his only begotten son as his personal whipping boy to unleash his wrath and damnation upon so that whosoever God arbitrarily chose to be elected may have everlasting life."

The reason why God commanded the gospel be preached to all is because salvation is offered to ALL through Jesus Christ. This is the good news and this is why God became man. This is Christianity 101.

11. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. Before God chose to have me immersed into Christ by the Holy Spirit, I was hated by God due to my sin.
    You see, utilyan, that is the AMAZING part about grace. God chose to save a WRETCH, not because there was anything there to love, but solely out of his Sovereign will and mercy.
    God loves his Son. God loves all who are immersed into the Son by the Holy Spirit.
    This is why Jesus says...

I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. ~John 10:28-29

All the verses you quote, have nothing to do with how God views you sin. God hates your sin. God hates my sin.
    God loves his Son. All who are found in Christ are loved by God. All who are found outside of Christ are hated by God.

Matthew 25:34,41 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Jesus died for all sinners equally as their atonement for their sins, then either those lost in Hell have sins atoned for, or else their willpower overcame power of God!

13. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God must still be Holy and a Judge, not just Love, love, love, as he is not one of the Beatles!

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He loves His own Covenant people!

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it then that great preachers such as Surgeon were used by God as "soul winners"? Why were many Missionary efforts done by Calvinists? We hold that the Gospel is the means by which God awakens all of those whom are elected in Christ Jesus!

16. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To fully see the grace of God, must see how really rotten we were in our sins!

17. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of the verses you provided has anything remotely to do with our conversation. Thus, your argument is void of any legitimacy.

18. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your correlation is false.
    Just because God tells us to preach to all the world, it does not therefore mean that all the world will believe.
    John 3:16 says that those who believe will not perish, which agrees with limited atonement.
    Salvation is preached to all. Only those whom God gives ears to hear will hear and believe.
    That's Christianity 101.
    Why do you fight against the bit? I presume you read the Bible. Are these truths hidden from your eyes?

19. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus proclaimed "preached" in Hades, and not all who heard that were saved!

20. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    G\Thsi thread will be closed sometime after 6:15 PM Pacific.