1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can We Talk?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That must mean I'm safe!

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unfortunately, there tends to be so much divisiveness on this issue rather than good debate - and sometimes (usually) just agreeing to disagree. The makes me appreciate even more Dr. Michael Horton (of Westminster Seminary) and Dr. Roger Olson (of Truett Seminary) who wrote For Calvinism and Against Calvinism, respectively and actually wrote the foreword in each other's book.

I haven't listened to all of this, but their discussion can be found at www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D2SWKbZSIU.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although not addressed to me, let's review the following:
    The premise of Total Spiritual inability due to the Fall, has no support from this passage. It says those perishing have been blinded, so the Fall did not blind them. Now Jesus does address that some people have been blinded, the first soil of Matthew 13, but in no way does this apply to everyone from conception.

If everyone was blind, how did Paul commend himself to "everyone's conscience." (2 Cor. 4:2)

And again the gospel is veiled in the first soil, but not in the other three of Matthew 13:1-23.

Lastly, "those who are perishing" is claimed to refer to every unsaved person, certainly a possible meaning. But a less expansive interpretation would refer to those who have been blinded, the first soil. The opportunity to understand the gospel has been lost, and therefore they are perishing.

Now we could plow through all the verses asserted to support total spiritual inability, one after another, but without a response to the arguments offered, no real progress would occur.

4. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a non-sequitur. I thought that you wanted a serious discussion.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I told you what I believe, Limited Spiritual Ability, and explained how I understand several verses that support my view. If you want to discuss the doctrine, have at it.

6. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already knew what you believed; however, you've failed to make an argument.

7. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would but we would get nowhere lol I've studied both views and I think Calvinists are very CLOSED to the truth but not close enough.
    To me in comes down to one thing and one thing only. If you believe that God's foreknowledge equals to his predestination or foreordination, then you must remain a Calvinist.
    I have read books on God's foreknowledge and I have studied the subject at the best of my ability and I believe that the Calvinist has this subject wrong and if the view on God's Foreknowledge is wrong then the rest falls apart.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, what are you talking about

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears we will not engage in a discussion through no fault of my own.

Goodbye Sir, sadly..

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Calvinists (those that believe in the validity of the TULIP doctrines) are FAR from the truth, since I believe four of the five doctrines are bogus. Since both Arminians and Calvinists agree that God did not predestine our each and every sin, they simply disagree on how God avoided being the author of sin. Calvinists say the reason is a mystery, and Arminians say knowing what will happen exhaustively in the future does not predestine that future, but the reason for this is a mystery. Both views, therefore require cognitive dissonance. OTOH, Hypercalvinists believe God is the author of sin.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that paul stated to us, by the Holy Spirit, that the unsaved/natural sinner has no spiritual abilities!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we can agree to disagree in love towards each other, and the basic issues to me to be answered by both sides would be How much did the fall affect us, and what about full free will?

14. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which out of the TULIP do you believe in? You mentioned 4 are bogus.

15. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm saying that if God's Foreknowledge=Predestination then the Calvinist is right. But if the Calvinist is wrong in their view in God's Foreknowledge then they will be wrong in how they view Predestination.

16. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol sorry. I have issues articulating my words. What I'm saying is that if God's Foreknowledge=Predestination then the Calvinist is right. But if the Calvinist is wrong in their view of God's Foreknowledge then they will be wrong in how they view Predestination.

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you may have it just backwards. It is the Arminian who believes Election is based on God's Foreknowledge. Unless you mean the Determinate Foreknowledge of God, which is another thing altogether. Most Particular Redemptionists believe election is according to the good pleasure of God's Divine Will.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know who is written into the Lambs book of life? Or is your arguement against Gods having sovereignty over his creation. If so, yes you aren’t going to like that Election is entirely of Gods choosing ie some are born to be preeminent and some are born to be obscure.

Note that the Jews of the day ... even today love that teaching

19. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen to this short video by William Lane Craig on God's Foreknowledge.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He holds with Molinism and Middle Knowledge, neither concept in the Bible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.