Can you know if you are "elect".

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DaveXR650, Nov 17, 2022.

1. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never denied saying no to your silly question Sliverhair.
    I laugh at your conclusion as it shows us your humanist philosophy and your hatred of God's Sovereignty.
    Now, you can keep trying to assert a falsehood all you want. It will never make your assertion true. Now, run away back to your humanist headquarters and stop imagining you have anything valuable to say to us.

2. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all.
    You are assuming you are correct, which is the fallacy in this dialogue. You are far away from grasping the truth of God's word and it is your view that is utterly wrong.
    We are at an impasse since you are wrong and I will never agree to your false views of God. Go back to your humanist headquarters, Sliverhair.

3. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you consider it a silly question? Do you not think a sovereign God could do that? But since you insist that God could not do that then you have to accept the fact you have just made Him the one that condemns most people to hell for no other reason than He wants to. Remember your version of God has to determine all things. That is Gnostic philosophy.

4. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just read what the text says without trying to make it fit a predetermined view such as calvinism.

5. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another post of disinformation, claiming my view is what it is not.

Yet another post of disinformation, claiming my view is what it is not. Why are these posters allowed to misrepresent both scripture and opponents?

Romans 4:5 (NASB)
    But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, ​

6. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is entirely right, except thatunless God is first with grace no one will ever believe. I can list all the verses that teach this,if you want, but I get fed up with repeating the same stuff over and over again.

7. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The grace of God is in creation, the gospel, the conviction of the Holy Spirit, etc. Do you not understand that these things are there for all men not just some? I to get tired of repeating the same things all the time but when people continue to ignore the truth of scripture it is necessary to do so.

While God reaches out to all men if they do not respond in faith then they will be lost.

8. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saving grace is not found in nature. Romans 1 is clear. You have been rebuked by many for your false view.

9. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You interpret the text by ignoring context.
    Question: Do you preach the gospel to all creatures since that is what the text says? How many ants and squirrels have to told the gospel to?

10. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stop being evasive. Own it. Somewhere along the line you inject man's will into the equation for eternal life in heaven.

You not only reject such truths as:

13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. Jn 13

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that hath mercy. Ro 9

...you contradict those truths and inject man's will into it. It's the very foundation of your synergism and your anti-Calvinist crusade. Own it.

11. DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a lot of verses in the Bible explaining the difference between believing and doing works. Are there any verses in the Bible rebuking someone who comes by faith but thinks they came by faith, and so must be rebuked for this?

12. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which ones you have in mind? I can think of a few that seem to contract the two.

Not that I'm aware of.

IMO, there would be hardly, if any, debate on the subject if it weren't for the complainers and murmurers of Romans 9:14-19.

13. DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I mean is that I have noticed a thought pattern where saving faith is changed into a "work" just because someone says they did it. They have taken the Calvinistic Monergism that makes salvation all of God from beginning to end and is true - but they have taken it a step further to where you not even allowed to say that you believed the gospel in order be saved without being accused of a works based salvation. I'm sorry, but you have to believe the gospel and trust Christ - you do not have to believe and trust in Calvinistic theology.

14. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that's precisely what 'duty faith' does. Indistinguishable from a work of the law.

Still curious which passages you think explain the difference between faith and works.

15. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You response just shows you do not read you just react. What did I say in that post?

"The grace of God is in creation, the gospel, the conviction of the Holy Spirit, etc. Do you not understand that these things are there for all men not just some? I to get tired of repeating the same things all the time but when people continue to ignore the truth of scripture it is necessary to do so.

While God reaches out to all men if they do not respond in faith then they will be lost."

16. DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want to get too off track but hey, it's my thread! I was thinking of verses like Romans 4:5 or Ephesians 2:8-9. A good explanation of "duty faith" that was easy for me to read was in Andrew Fuller's work called something like "The Gospel Worthy of all Acceptation". I think it just means that the general call or offer of the Gospel is real for everyone and while it truly is a duty to comply with it is also an act of grace and love.

17. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin you are just proving that you can be really really stupid in some of you comments. What does the bible say.
    Mar 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. NASB
    Mar 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
    BSB
    Mar 16:15 Then he said to them, "As you go throughout the world, proclaim the Good News to all creation. CJB
    Mar 16:15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. NIV
    Mar 16:15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. NET
    Mar 16:15 And he said to them, "Go into all the world and proclaim the good news to the whole creation. NRSV
    Mar 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature NKJV

Now this may be hard for you to comprehend but ants and squirrels and such do not have a soul and do not understand morality. And I know this will shock you but they do not speak either.
    Austin it would actually be better if you stopped commenting and let people think you are a fool rather than continue posting and prove you are one.

G2937
    (2) in NT creation, the act of creating, Rom_1:20; creation, the material universe, Mar_10:6; Mar_13:19; Heb_9:11; 2Pe_3:4; a created thing, a creature, Rom_1:25; Rom_8:39; Col_1:15; Heb_4:13; the human creation, Mar_16:15; Rom_8:19-22; Col_1:23; a spiritual creation, 2Co_5:17; Gal_6:15

18. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not interpreting. I'm just showing you God's word. :Geek
    *Mark 16:15*
    And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    - Mark 16:15

Are you doing what the text says, Sliverhair?

19. Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just keep reading Austin. Context matters.

Mar 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
    Mar 16:16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

I realize that you are trying to be smart but you are just being foolish. Try be act like an adult.

And by the way if it were possible for ants and squirrels to believe then I would do that, wouldn't you?

20. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you preach to every creature? That's what the text says. Since you don't do any interpreting you must take the words literally. How has that evangelism to the river carp been going?