1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chickenology

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Benjamin, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone raise chickens? How about from 1-3 day old chicks?

I have a batch of 26 coming next week and trying to prepare. I raised around 8 about 20 years ago but about all I remember is putting them in a box and using a heating pad when I saw they were cold. They did fine until my dogs killed them at a year old. But from what I'm hearing temperature is critical, especially keeping them at 90 degrees the first week and lowering no more than 5 degrees a week for next 4 weeks. I'm trying not to go overboard with specifics but I'd feel like a failure if they died.

At first I thought I'd just put them under their new coop in a wired off area with shade but it's getting 105 degrees out and will probably be steady 110s for the next couple weeks, then there is the monsoon storms that will be starting. Hardly anything is said about how warm they can be. Now I'm thinking to start them in my shop which has evaporative coolers but apparently now I need to buy thermometers to find out what is going on with the temps. I told a girl at the feed store I was thinking about putting them in the shop with the coolers but was concerned about the temp dropping at night. She seemed pretty confident saying just turn off the coolers at night and turn them on in the day I 'd be fine, but maybe I'm letting all these internet chicken opinions get into my head but I feel I should check it out.

Besides the temperature there are many other considerations. Whether or not to vaccinate, I decided to have them get the Marek vaccination.

There were 83 different breeds to choose from at the hatchery not counting the Bantams. Minimum order of 25, at least 5 of each breed, so keeping in mind the color of eggs, tameness of the birds, if they were flighty, calm, if they were broody, how big and what they looked like I finally narrowed it down to 5 breeds. One of my choices was not available but the 3rd generation owner of the hatchery was listening in on the phone call so I asked the secretary to ask him his favorite and replaced it with that one. Ordered all hens but they only guarantee 90% accuracy of sexing so I figured I'd probably get a couple Cockerels but the secretary told me that often they are 100% accurate so I threw in a cockerel making it 26.

The breeds I picked are:

BLUE ANDALUSIAN - white eggs

AMERAUCANA - blue and green eggs

BUFF ROCK - brown eggs

SALMON FAVEROLLE - cream eggs (The hatchery owner's favorite, they have an extra toe.)

WELSUMMER - dark chocolate eggs

I'm happy with my choices and should have some awesome looking chickens and great farm raised colorful eggs, if they live, but didn't really want 26 chickens. These chickens average over 200 eggs a year each. Doing the math, that comes to 5,000 eggs a year! If I manage to talk someone into taking of say 10 of my fine purebred chickens that's still 3,000 eggs a year or 8+ eggs a day, could easily be a dozen a day.

I bought a couple waterers but now hear they can easily drown and/or get wet then cold and die so I need to get a "no drown waterer".

Other than that I still need to finish my nesting boxes, perches, ventilation, ramps, and perhaps owl proof night doors on their chicken mansion...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about the issue with your dogs.

I was worried about our dogs doing the same thing, but our little one couldn't care less and the big one is terrified of them. Loves the horses and cows, but terrified of the chickens. Literally will walk forty or fifty yards out of his way to avoid them.

Have you tried raising Orpingtons? They're a really good breed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not let your dogs terrorize the chickens, it will reduce their egg production and shorten their lives, or at least in my experience.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really could not tell you how to raise them with your temps. Interested selections but I really like Rode Island Reds... they are a hardy breed and do well under many conditions. And I think they are a beautiful breed of bird. Watch out for hawks, they are a menace to young chickens. Good luck! :Thumbsup

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh in the heat or in the cold, make sure you get them watered regularly. When they are adults feed them crumble, various manufacturers reinforce it with vitamins / nutrients which encourages egg laying.

We had a small English game bird we just loved till a hawk killed her and my wife wants to get another few.

#5 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It'd be great if you could buy a broody hen (chicken groups on FB good place to check) to slip them under after dark. Problem solved. We've done several times.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duh, never mind. Too many to put under one hen; maybe not two hens.

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well this is the answer to why the chickens crossed the road, or was that over in a truck?

9. Mr. Davis

Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good hen will always cover her chicks. Didn't Christ say he would cover us?

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I hear you farmer brethren talk about this makes me want to buy a farm, don some bib overalls and get among the animals and poultry and go out and grow some vegetables... But I'm a suburban mouse... I guess you could also say I'm CHICKEN!... Brother Glen:D

11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had English Mastiffs at the time and would let my chickens out of the coop to free range but suddenly one day I found just the feet of one chicken, a half eaten chicken and a dead one. So I locked my chicken in their coop but the next night the dogs broke through the wire and finished them off.

Buff Orpingtons are very similar looking to the Buff Rocks I ordered. I actually read a thread comparing these breeds but came away thinking the BRs were more calm... :Alien I can't believe how far I've come in "chickenology" to actually be able to discuss this subject. :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've learned a lot about protecting against predators over the years and chickens being a favorite on the menu and on the bottom of the totem pole for what seems about everything out there I'm fortifying by every means I can come up with. Such as, I've lost 3 small dogs to coyotes but spent over $1.500 building an outdoor 60' x 80' pen attached to the house with a concrete footing around it and so far, 2 years, so good. I have one big dog but she'll never get through the new fencing I just finished around my ...mini-farm pens. I'm still considering a Livestock Guardian Dog also, might go see one this weekend.

13. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have white racing homer pigeons that have a lot of freedom out of the coop and their worst predator are these small hawks a little smaller than them that come and hunt them in packs time to time. Although over the years they have learned pretty well to escape them and seem to pass the trait down. These pigeons fly much faster (fastest bird in the world actually) so the hawks must dive on them when they aren't looking but they've learned to keep a watch out and will fly up high.

I'm thinking of building a 12' wide, 8' deep and 8' high run with a roof (maybe shade instead of wire) right in front of their coop within the fenced pasture area where the chickens will range so they can escape. I hear the cockerels will keep watch and warn the hens of danger and they say this is good reason to have cockerels because they also will fight.

BTW, the place I bought my chickens also carries game birds. Stromberg's Chicks | Live Birds for Sale, Hatching Eggs, Poultry Supplies

14. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm thinking I prefer to have them all the same age to start with (I've read about "pecking order" and hens that won't accept what they don't hatch) but hope to have some broody hens out of them for the future as I might try to raise some purebreds for sale to pay for feed and supplies - and just for fun.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Currently I pull into my property and hear my sheep start to baa, my pigeons cooing at me and dogs howling and wonder if the chickens will join in the serenade.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My garden area is 280' away and has not been defend-able against the prairie dogs and rabbits but I have a new fence design in mind that has wire 2' in the ground so can't be dug under and can't be climbed by the prairie dogs either so I'm thinking of moving my garden close to my ...mini-farm... where I can wheel barrow over the dropping and rotor till them in. Seems a perfect way to keep things tidy and get some good soil.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been around chickens since I was a little kid. We even had to raise many biddies in the house due to bad weather, hen getting killed, dad ordering them, &c.

What dad always did was get a big cardboard box and line the bottom of it with some old towels. He'd use a brooder light, that looks just like this...

[​IMG]

The way you hang it is get an old mop or broom handle and cut two holes in the box, one on each side, and slide the handle through the holes. Then take that brooder light and hang it from that handle.

Then these are the best trays to feed them with...

[​IMG]

And you can use this to water them...

[​IMG]

We use to use a little round tin tray that would screw on the top of a Mason Jar. When you fill the jar up, you twist the lid on it, and the turn the jar upside down, and it fills the tray, but won't overfill it. But I can't find a picture of that.

18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you use Murray McMurray or Mount Healthy Hatchery? Those were the two dad ordered from.

19. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Plymouth Rocks are a really good breed as well. We call them Dommers here. Pronounced Dom-ers.

20. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One winter dad said he saw one of his hen laying on her nest. One day while she was away, he counted 17 eggs, iirc. It was winter and a snow was on, too. A few days later he saw her leading 17 biddies through the yard. Hens can sit on more eggs than you think. 26? Maybe not, but if they can sit on 17, I'd say 20 wouldn't be too many.