1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chickenology

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Benjamin, Jul 4, 2019.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We call them yellow buffs. But they're another good breed. Cross them with Plymouth Rocks and they make pretty chickens. Some will have the checkered pattern of the PR, but will be yellow like the Buffs.

2. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks @Benjamin for this thread. This takes me back to my childhood of seeing dad raising chickens. Oh how I miss him and mom. :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea my chickens free range so they learn to be watchful. I’m having a problem right now with a raccoon who scares the chickens to death.... my dog needs to be more present. And thanks for the tip with Strindberg... will look for the English Gamecocks

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we call yellow buffs are Buff Orpington. Got one that has raised three clutches of store bought chicks for us over the years (and gave us many eggs).

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Want to sell her? :Roflmao

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Good laying hens, too. If you can get a yellow Plymouth Rock, what I mean, one that looks just like a PR, but yellow, they’re the prettiest chicken I have ever seen.

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, I found out the best way to tell the Buff Rock from the Buff Orpington is the BR has yellow legs where the BO has white. Apparently these breeds are so often confused that people even get the wrong birds or a combination from some hatcheries.

That sounds like an awesome mix, I love to crossbreed and invent but then I'd end up with like 100s of chickens. :eek:

#27 Benjamin, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  8. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other time I had chickens was shortly after I bought my land and was still working out of this guy's barn. One of his neighbors was a Mexican family that raised fighting cocks and there were typically baby chicks running around so one day I picked up a group of them outside my shop door and put them in a box and took them home thinking I'd make them into egg layers. Well, once they started laying eggs they started eating each other's eggs, THEN they started pecking a chicken on it's bottom and once it stated to bleed they all started pecking it until they made a hole and ripped out it's intestines and eat them! Then they started on the next victim!

This chicken cannibalism went on until all I had left was one rooster. He was the meanest rooster you ever saw. I would go in the coop to feed him and he would attack me to where I got into the habit of literally knocking him out - sometimes he would wake up before I left and would go right back to attacking me.

Finally, one day my neighbor asked me if I had any chickens and told him just one but that I was going to shoot him. He said, no, don't shoot him I'll take him, so I said okay and put him in box and took him over later that day. Then, a couple weeks I saw my neighbor and asked him how that chicken was doing, he said I SHOT THAT #&%***@& - he attacked my kids, my dogs, my wife and me and would run fly out of pen and run across the property to do it!! :Roflmao:Roflmao

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah. She’s getting old. I’ll let her spend her last days at home. We tried joining a dozen more Isa Brown chicks back in March, not sure what happened, lost nine overnight, but three are alive and thriving now. She’s been an outstanding momma.

10. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know the BR and BO had different colored legs. I have been around chickens since I was born in 1971, but didn't know that. Hmmmm.

Getting back to the dommers a second. Apparently they are called barred Plymouth Rocks. I don't know if that is another entirely different breed of PR or just another name.

Picture this chicken being yellow. I can't find a pic of a yellow one. But sometimes you can get a barred Plymouth rock that looks yellow if you cross them with a BO.

[​IMG]

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have or have had many, many breeds. America has are good birds. Fun to watch free range. Real smart.
    Buff Rocks are real docile, not real good free rangers, make good pets.
    Welsummer hens are crazy. They are very flighty, very aggressive, and just plain dumb in a lot of ways. They do lay a very dark egg.

My favorite white laying breed is California. Favorite brown is the Buff Orpington. Most of my flock now are mutts. Mixed offspring of Americana, California, Buff Orpington, Plymouth Rocks, Welsummer, Buff Orpington,Game birds, Jersey Giants, brown leghorn, are all in the genetic pool. I have a few polish just for entertainment.
    A good rooster is key to having a good flock. Hens all fight when no rooster is around. Rooster keeps them all in line.

#31 Reynolds, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Dominicker and A Barred rock are not the same bird. B.R. lays a lot more eggs than a Dominicker.

13. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've not heard of Dominickers, or at least that term. I know there is a chicken called Dominiques, that have the a checked pattern like Dommers.

14. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the years we have had many breeds. Dommers(Barred Plymouth Rock), Branhams(a white chicken with black streaks down the neck and feather legged), White Leghorns, R.I. Reds, various game breeds(their hens are the best if you want a setting hen), Silkies, BO, BR, Wyandotte, Araucana, New Hampshire, etc.

This is what we always called Dommers(pronounced Dom-ers)...

[​IMG]

I guess these are the Barred PR, or also called PR.

Here are Dominiques...

[​IMG]

They tend to be lighter in color and their tail feathers seem to be a little different. Plus, IIRC, Dommers have straight combs and Dominiques have rose combs. But I could be wrong on this.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything like these?

upload_2019-7-6_15-29-36.jpeg [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#35 Benjamin, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, I'm wondering if I only have one rooster is going to be fertilizing all 25 hens? Or if he is even capable of it? Now, THAT might be something to crow about! ;)

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wife had heard that Rural King (where we purchased the chicks) had sold some diseased chicks along about that time, but I've doubts, they were very spunky. My suspicion is they were a little too old to accept being adopted (the adoption process works both ways) and I misjudged the night we introduced the chicks. It appeared the adoption was successful and I turned the heat lamp off to spare the hen from overheating and most of the chicks left the hen during the night and got chilled.

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good rooster will take care of 50 hens. Right now, my game rooster has about 30 hens and he keeps the feathers torn off all their backs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve seen them like this before...

[​IMG]

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What breed is that. Looks kind of like an ISA Brown and kind of like a Buff Orpington. More like a Buff.