1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured child baptism right or wrong ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cavell, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had 3 women who influenced our decision.... wife, my mom and my Mother in law. All 3 were adamant that my son should be infant baptized. I always felt that if the Holy Spirit wanted my son, at any age, that he could go for the dunking immersion method, so keep the peace and you become your child’s mentor. If the HS taps him for dunking, let him do it again

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Immersion is the believers burial for Christ's death meaning the believer is going to live his new life in Christ (Romans 6:3-4).

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think Calvin was an outstanding Christian. I doubt he was a Christian at all.

4. Cavell

Cavell Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know the true answer. I know that I believe no matter what once/if my son accepts christ as his saviour then he will need to be baptised. Whether or not he is baptised as a baby.

The problem is I can't tell my wife that because she never had a second baptism. So she won't appreciate me telling her that she needs to be baptised too.

I don't know if I believe it will be damaging to my son or that god will punish me for having him baptised now.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will not be Biblical believers immersion. It is not a requirement in order for one to be saved.

6. Cavell

Cavell Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I 100 percent agree.

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally do not believe God will punish you for doing something with pure intentions. But I also could not apply water to a baby and call it baptism. I struggled with this issue for a long time, when I was trying to fit into various paedobaptist churches.

8. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brothers and I were all sprinkled as infants (in a Methodist church) and it was labeled as baptism. Christ saved me at age 24 but for 10 years we went to mainline protestant churches and believer's baptism was never taught, At age 34 we began attending an IFB church (B for Bible but it was thoroughly baptistic in doctrine/practice) and when they had a baptism the following summer my wife and I obeyed, and were baptized in the St. John River where it's the border between the US and Canada. (Small church had no baptistery and outdoor baptisms would be a challenge there.)

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, Like i said earlier, you have many things to address other than infant baptism.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The saved person has indentified themselves as being dead in Christ, and now alive in christ...

11. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No body appreciates being told they are wrong about something.
    The truth of the matter is your wife does need to be biblically baptized. Her infant baptism didn’t count.

If I could just be frank, the Bible says “quit ye like men”, stand up for the truth and follow God, not your wife’s possible emotional responses. I’m not saying to be a jerk to your wife, but I am saying you have to stand for what’s right. Infant baptism is not right, and by allowing your son to be baptized you are giving approval to a unbiblical and honestly a heretical practice.

Who is in charge of your life God and his word, or your wife and her emotions?

There is a reason why our Baptist forefathers were martyred, and tortured over believers baptism, there were many Baptists who were persecuted for refusing to have their children baptized. You would do well to consider their example.

12. Cavell

Cavell Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a young man I don't know everything yet. When I was a teenager I was exposed to lots of false doctrine and now I am trying to work through everything. I am trying to work out the best thing to do for my wife and child.

13. Cavell

Cavell Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will make sure my son has a believers baptism.

14. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize if i do not come across as gentle or helpful (i'm still working on my communication skills through typing). And i do commend you for wanting to do the right thing. I do implore you to seek the Lord together with your wife. It's imperative that you lead your family according to the Will of God in Christ.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would be wrong!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    probably regret asking this:Barefoot, but why do you believe this?

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to try and serve up some fairly bite-sized pieces of thought. Those of the Baptistic persuasion (that includes many of folks in the Bible Church movement):
    • look baptism as an ordinance, not a sacrament. IOW, it is a step of obedience, not a way of obtaining more grace.
    • consider it as an outward sign of an inward change.
    • do not consider it a replacement for Old Testament circumcision. IOW, it does not establish a covenant relationship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cavell

Cavell Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We moved from the USA to England and there aren't any Southern Baptist churches around us. I don't like the Strict Baptist or London Baptist churches. My wife likes to go to the Methodist church with her family but I don't like that church. So I go to a pentecostal church but I don't want to be a member there or at the Methodist church.

19. Cavell

Cavell Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you

20. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The episode with Michael Servetus is enough to convince me.