1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured child baptism right or wrong ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cavell, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So that would be able to undo salvation?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Baptists are not the only kind. And other churches can be Scriptural, such as many "Bible churches." A good "Brethren" church might be an option.

3. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My cursory research of M. Servetus revealed that he rejected the Trinity. I would appreciate more resources from you to relate him to the OP concerning child baptism.

Thank you for your reply.

4. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor. 10:12, "Wherefore, let him who thinketh he standeth, take heed lest he fall." That verse tells me that I am capable of the most heinous sins, save for the eternal one of rejecting Christ's offer of salvation. That was taken care of many years ago, and I believe the Bible when it says in John 10 that no one can take Christ's own from His hand. If I'm capable of that, then John Calvin also was equally capable. I don't see that as grounds for doubting his salvation.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've read from our British members, the "Brethren" churches in England are a bit more insular than those here in the States. But, I get what you're saying about expanding beyond the American flavor of Baptists. Me I'd recommend checking out an Evangelical Christian-Baptist congregation. That is if he can find one with translators from Russian to English.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You also MUST read into the prevailing thought regarding Christianity and how heinius a crome that was viewd as being, and not take a modern day America view back to it!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Plymouth Bethren?

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think murderers go to heaven?

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My personal belief is that baptizing a baby only produces a wet baby. Baptism is a public declaration by the baptizee that he/she has come to jesus & been saved.

I believe baptism is to be done only after salvation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cavell

Cavell Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, if their sins were washed in the blood of the Lamb of God!The ONLY sin God cannot forgive is to reject Jesus to save you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also believe that baby baptism is done to make the PARENTS feel better and is an outward show of THEIR supposed piety. However, I don't believe they're sinning by doing it. I simply don't believe it benefits an unknowing child.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    child baptism right or wrong ?

Not a concern of mine; the one who baptized me was close to 40.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Cavell

Cavell Member

Faith:
    Baptist

you're special

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    methodist.org.uk/our-faith/life-and-faith/life-events/infant-thanksgiving/

"Some parents believe, on reflection, that a service of baptism is not the most appropriate service for them and their child. They may think it is too weighty in terms of their own faith, or that the promises involved go beyond what they can say with integrity. Some parents may be adopting a child who has already been baptized. Some may have a child who was baptized in emergency circumstances in hospital or at home. Other parents, who may themselves be committed Christians, feel strongly (because baptism is so meaningful) that they want their child to be able to ask for baptism, if and when they are ready to respond for themselves. All nevertheless want to thank God publicly now for the safe arrival of their child and express their love for that child. This can be done at a service called an 'Act of Thanksgiving after the Birth or Adoption of a Child'. If you are not sure whether Baptism or an Act of Thanksgiving would be more appropriate for you and your child, talk it through with your minister, who will be able to advise."

16. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am troubled by your conclusion that infant baptism is not sin. It is not condoned in scripture. Furthermore, it could reinforce other non-scriptural practices.

Consider:

Rom 14:13 KJV - Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in [his] brother's way.

1Co 8:9 KJV - But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

My motto: Neither condemn what God condones nor condone what God condemns.

17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I reckon I'm the odd man out, if I am more apt to think of the Dunkard Brethern when the term brethern church comes up.

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Dunkards are a German Anabaptist group. In the British context, Brethren refers to the Plymouth Brethren

19. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe. There are several other groups.

20. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not the reason Presbyterians baptize their babies. They baptize their babies because they believe it makes their children members of the New Covenant community. That is diametrically opposed to Baptist theology which teaches the only members of the New Covenant community are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. Methodists believe infant baptism works with prevenient grace and assists the child in their ability to understand spiritual truths as the child grows and matures. The Methodist view is wrong because there is no such thing as prevenient grace. So, infant baptism is sinful because it misinterprets and misapplies scripture.

• Like Like x 1