1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Chosen to Eternal Life? [Acts 13:48]

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

You fail to recognize that we are elect according to the foreknowledge of the Father. The Father knew who among the Gentiles would believe. These are the ones taken out.

What was ordained in Acts 13:48 is that Paul would be a light to the Gentiles, and those who believed would be saved. Acts 13:48 is simply confirming that those ordained to eternal life believed. It is not saying they were ordained to believe in the sense they were compelled to believe, but it IS saying they were ordained to believe in the sense that God sent the gospel to these persons foreknowing they would believe.

You can't exclude foreknowledge from the equation, we are elect according to foreknowledge.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You refuse to understand the biblical term foreknowledge, so you will not come to truth here.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I know exactly what foreknowledge means. From the dictionary;

Of course, you redefine the word. What a surprise.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We are speaking of biblical foreknowledge....not dictionary foreknowledge....:laugh:The biblical one is the important one.

it speaks of the persons themselves.....for WHOM he did Foreknow.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Foreknowledge means exactly what it implies, to know something before it happens. To foreknow something or someone is the same thing. We have an example of foreknowledge in John 1.

Jhn 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!
    48 Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
    49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.
    50 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.

Notice that Jesus called Nathanael an "Israelite indeed". This is a believing Jew, the seed of Abraham, as described in Romans 2 and 9.

Note Nathanael's question, he asked, "Whence knowest thou me?" This is foreknowledge, Jesus knew Nathanael, though they had never met. Jesus knew Nathanael was a believer, he saw his faith, that is why he called him an Israelite indeed.

Notice that before Nathanael was "called" that Jesus "saw" him. This is foreknowledge, even before a person is called, Jesus knew Nathanael would believe.

Only after telling Nathanael that he had seen him under the fig tree did Nathanael actually believe on Jesus and call him the Son of God, the King of Israel. So, Nathanael was already a believer of OT scripture and prophecy.

So, here is a direct example of God's foreknowledge in the scriptures, and it concerns faith. But there is more.

Jhn 6:64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

Jhn 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
    71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Here is another direct example of foreknowledge in scripture, and it directly concerns faith. Jesus knew from the beginning that Judas did not believe and would betray him. He knew Judas was a devil, he knew the other eleven disciples were believers and not devils. Jesus knew this "from the beginning", this is foreknowledge. He chose the eleven for the express purpose of spreading the gospel, he chose Judas because he knew he would betray him. Both concern faith or lack of.

I understand biblical foreknowledge quite well, maybe it is you that needs to study.

#105 Winman, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Icon, winman is right. Remember that Joseph didn't even know who Mary was till after Jesus was born.

"And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS."

oh wait....:rolleyes:

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The Father knew who among the Gentiles would believe. These are the ones taken out.

Where is that written in the word of God?

Here is the foreknowledge of God.

Acts 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

God has always known what he was going to do and God has elected, (called) some to participate with him in the kingdom of God.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to purpose.
    They will not be flesh and blood but will be born as children of God being the children of the resurrection in the same image as his resurrected Son Jesus.
    Luke 20.36 Romans 8:29 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
    Acts 14:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

It will be after this that salvation will be offered to all mankind.

Joel 2:32 And it shall come to pass, whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call. Acts 15:17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

All of the elect have been elected the same way, and for the purpose of God even the Gentiles; Gal. 3:29 And if ye Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Let me ask you. What about Nahor, Abraham's brother who stayed in Ur of the Chaldees. Is Nahor going to hell because he didn't believe something? Was he even asked to believe anything?
    Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son's son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram's wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there. And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran.

Then God called Abraham. Abraham is going to be in the kingdom of God, ruling with Jesus his seed the Son of God.

Was Nahor called? Was Terah called? Were all the Gentiles in Acts 15 called?

Let God be God.

I posted in another thread without comment I might add, I do not think John Calvin understood nor Brother Arminius.

BTW I may not understand but I believe this is what the word says. I could be deceived as well as any other. One deceived can not know he is deceived or he would not be deceived. If the scripture disputes this show it to me and so it will be.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ah yes..I get it now-----
    And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, it was mental telapathy.:laugh::laugh:

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    true, but the Lord forknew those whom he has predestined refers to Him selecting/electing those persons to receive jesus beforehand... based upon HIM determining that they would hear and believe!

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The ramblings of two old men!:saint::laugh:

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you do realise the mind is the second thing to go when one gets older!

13. OldRegular

I really would not know!:smilewinkgrin::laugh:

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Uh, what's the first thing? I used to know but I don't remember.

I am a good example of the following:
    You can tell you're getting old when everything hurts.
    And the things that don't hurt don't work.

15. OldRegular

Well said Icon.

Romans 8:28-30
    28. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
    29. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
    30. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

1 Timothy 2:3-4 ( This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.)

God's election and man's free will working together to save some.

17. OldRegular

"ALL men" does not necessarily mean 100 % of humanity. If God wanted 100% of humanity to be saved he would have saved them!

18. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "all men" here refers to all classes of men. The context is "kings, and all that are in authority." Paul was telling Timothy and his church that they should pray even for the authorities that were persecuting them. Paul's example from the previous chapter (1:11-16) is himself also who was among those who persecuted Christians; "howbeit I obtained mercy."

Then, he says "I exhort therefore..." that you pray for "all men." Yes, even those evil rulers who are persecuting you. I was among them, but God showed me mercy. God saves even wicked, pagan rulers who are your enemies; therefore, it is acceptable in the sight of God for you to pray even for them.

Why cannot "all men" mean every, single individual human being throughout all time? Paul elaborates:

1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Tell me, what does mediator mean? If Jesus Christ stands as a mediator (the Perfect High Priest) between the Father and man, does His mediation fail? Is there disunity in the Trinity because the Son mediates on behalf of an individual, and the Father rejects it because this person causes the mediation to fail?

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yea right. We are back to date rape again when no does not mean no.
    God does not always get His will. Here is an example;
    1Thess 4:3
    For this is the will of God, [even] your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

#119 freeatlast, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Not exactly. The Spirit through Paul is saying that non one is excluded in God's desire not even those in an evil government. It is saying all men not some form each class.

To your question about a mediator. He only mediates for those who are His. The rest are under a general call and can reject the call.
    God's election and man's free will working together to save some

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.