1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christianity and Evolution

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Andy_S, Jun 5, 2011.

?
  1. Yes - there isn't a problem or a contradiction

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Yes - but the two don't fit comfortably together

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. No - evolution is an unbiblical heresy

31 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally incorrect my friend. Genesis does have to be interpreted differently, but that does not mean evolution is wrong. There is no conflict between evolution and God creating the universe and our world. There is confusion in the minds of many men/women, but there is no conflict in Genesis.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

It conflicts with the gospel. Period

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would appreciate your expanding on that statement. How so? By gospel do you mean the New Testament? I respectfully disagree.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Would have another question for this polling...

Should a Christian believe in Evolution as the process God used to "Guide" life on earth?

I think that a Christian CAN believe in it, but it is NOT a scientific fact, not Biblically based, and Should NOT be believed!

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the creationist theory is not scientific fact. It all depends on how you interpret Genesis as to what you believe. Regardless, God did it and that is what is important.

6. JesusFan

Evolution postulates that there was no Creator of life, it "came up" by normal biological processes...
    problem is that there is NO known way that life just originated by itself...

It also denies that God created man as a unique being, being in His image, as it states that we are just product of the process, having common ancestorary with other primates..

it denies that all things were created after its own kind, complete in beginning, as ALL things evolved off same basic Biological mass, from muck and mire bacteria spawned in/from!

Its just bad science trying to explain away God as needed for Creation, and it places man on same plane as an Ape....

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make it sound as if evolutionary theory is monolithic. It isn't.

Also, in Genesis there are two creation stories and the order of creation is reversed. That is a problem that I do not see addressed by Creationist. Again, it depends on how Genesis is interpreted.

But be that as it may and I realize that you disagree, there is no conflict between theistic evolution and the Bible.

8. JesusFan

genesis has the two accounts in it due to one being "general" creation of the Universe, life upon earth, while other is "specific" Creation of man himself...

Do you as one who believes in thestic Evolution then believe also God created ALL life forms directly, that He made man in his own Image directly, a unique creation apart from him being evolved from lower Homids/primates tan?

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not agree. The creation of Adam and Eve or of mankind is described in both accounts and they are not in the same order.

For the most part yes. Having said that, I see no problem in mankind evolving to higher levels. Mankind became fully mankind when the point was reached whereby good and evil were recognized as such and at that point when man and woman deliberately and willfully and knowing chose to sin.

I believe that in infancy and early childhood all of us were, so to speak, in our own Garden of Eden. We we were innocent. We did not recognize right and wrong. We did not know when we did wrong either deliberately or accidentally. At some point the child reaches the point where that child know that a particular action is wrong, but they choose to do it because they want to. But they know it is wrong. That is when they, so to speak, are kicked out of their Garden of Eden. From then on they must live with guilt when the do wrong ... they come to know they are metaphorically speaking, naked.

I have no problem with the two creation stories. But if a person insists that every word in the Bible is literally true, that there are no allegories, metaphors, etc. then they have huge problems that for my little mind cannot be resolved.

I say all this very gently.

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you should have no problem answering the questions in post #35.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible says God created all things "after their own kind", and that man was a special creation, so evolution is NOT there!

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is it that all individuals of a particular species, including humans, do not look exactly alike? There was change somewhere along the line.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course a person can. Evolution has nothing to do with believing in Christ, his death and resurrection ... and the taking away of our sins.

15. LillyoftheValley

LillyoftheValley New Member

If I am right about what you are referencing, then it's easy to explain. The first creation story is when God created everything. Gen 1:1-2:3, the second Gen 2:5 - 2:19 is a slight backtrack, talking about what specifically happened on day six when God created Adam, placed him in the garden, and then created even more of the animals that already existed inside of the garden for Adam to see/name.

16. quantumfaith

That is certainly one interpretation, there are others such as the possible post-exhilic editorial compilation of the Pentateuch...and I am sure there many others as well.

17. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

No...it isn't...however, for ANY form of it to have been believed from the beginning, be it the Darwinian Model, or the excuses now posited by Stephen Gould of the Earth which appeals to the preposterous notions of "punctuated equilibrium"...(which is the definition of "special pleading") no model has made Scientific sense at all.

I take it NO one on this board has been curious enough to bother trying Michael Denton's book:
    Evolution: A Theory in Crisis
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/091756152X/?tag=baptis04-20

If someone likes to tout themselves as the "intellectually curious" type....they'll actually read Denton's withering destruction of the evolutionary model from a Logical, Scientific and Anthropological perspective.

Denton destroys any Evolutionary model at it's ROOT. That's the point of the book.....and Denton is no Christian either....he's a "Scientist" and since "Christians" aren't allowed to be "Scientists" in the perverted minds of some.........I cite you a godless Ph.D. Biologist....and (godless) M.D........who destroys your evolution pablum.
    No....There is ONE creation account.......ONLY ONE...and Chapter two only explains the particulars of what is occurring in THE GARDEN on DAY SIX:
    Chapter two sums up DAY SIX, READ IT AGAIN:

Gen 2:8 ΒΆ And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. Gen 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow....
    I will address it...and directly.................. Genesis TWO is a recap of that latter portion of day SIX.....and it is exclusive to the GARDEN......

Has this escaped your knowledge for all these years!!!! Just read the text.
    Why does Everyone who arrogantly THINKS!!! that Genesis is false....fail to read verse 8
    There is a conflict..... God isn't stupid ....People who are too intent on dismissing God's account don't understand that God covered your objection a gazillion years ago by clearly explaining that what he performed in CHAPTER TWO.....was something unique to THE GARDEN!!!

Again...People......
    mastering the first 10 chapters of the Bible goes a LONG way to understanding the rest of the book.
    until then....you will make false statements like "there are two 'creation accounts' in the Bible"...

NO...........chapter two is ONLY what happened on day 6 in greater detail...

How is it that the supra-geniuses you study from don't know this???

18. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Dude...You're a smart guy...don't dillude yourself...PLEASE???

Chapter two is CLEARLY a recap of the latter events chronicled on day six.....I PROMISE you that it's the truth...and it makes the rest of the story the fall etc...and Eve's mistake make INFINITELY more sense, and it's remarkably informative.

Genesis 2:8 means what it says...and it answers an innumerable set of questions....just read it as written..

Until then:
    read Denton's book I link to. It will put paid to any "scientific" (now a meaningless term IMO) objections you may have with the theory of Evolution...the man is a non-Christian Ph.D. in Biology...what the heck MORE amount of evidence do you need?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/091756152X/?tag=baptis04-20

#58 Inspector Javert, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  19. quantumfaith

I think you "mis count" me. Because of work, and the fact that I am not good at multi-tasking, I will have to take a look at your suggested reading later, currently reading a book on evolution by Peter Enns. I am "big enough" to admit I do not KNOW the "how" however....I am one of these "dreaded seekers" who are so often maligned on this board. BTW, it is not a terribly difficult prospect to discount purely naturalistic evolution on the grounds of time and mathematics.

#59 quantumfaith, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  20. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me explain.....

....while I do not believe we evolved from anything to where we are today...I believe there is a form of evolution going on around us in the realm of technology, manufacturing, medicine, academia, culture and society.

So while I do not hold to any form of physical evolution of the living, breathing creatures and mankind, I can't deny that the thing's mankind is responsible for when it comes to making life better and comfortable, is going on around us all the time! :wavey:

For me it is simple [child like, like God wants from us]: He either did everything we see, or He didn't. There's no in between. No gray area. Too many believers and denominations are stretching and over thinking everything in the Bible. From creation to the destruction of Sodom and Jericho, to Noah, to Daniel and the lions, to HIs death and ressurection. It either happened as the Bible says, or it didn't.

I choose to believe every single word; and it doesn't matter which VERSION of that word it comes from. It happened, pure, plain and simple! I'm in it for life.

#60 righteousdude2, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013