Christians, War, and Violence

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 1689Dave, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I served in the Army, I did what I was told. But as a draftee, I knew my hitch would end in two years, and then I would be free at last.

I am not advocating military service, but I am saying scripture allows Christians to serve in the military or in the police, or in other armed response capacities. I remember the National Park rangers carrying long guns, at the visitor center at Glazier National Park because a dangerous predator was roaming within sight. The predator walked away, and no shots were fired, but rangers would have protected me if need be.

2. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's one thing to make this type of decision for oneself as Dave did by being a C.O. during the Vietnam war, and by not resisting an assailant today when you are alone, but when there are others under your care your obligation is to protect them from others who wish to harm them.

3. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why not? There is nothing wrong with serving one's country. It gives a young person a place where maturity can come quickly and some experience in dealing with comrades and people from foreign lands that can be useful later in life.

4. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there such a thing as a "just war"? Is war an extension of protecting the lives of those under our own roof?

WWII? Which gave the Holocaust?

Vietnam? An attempt to stop the spread of godless communism in Asia?

WWIII - ?

WWII Perhaps.

5. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was saved midway in my enlistment and although I was concerned with killing the innocent it did not seem of that great a matter as i had to do with intel/info and was not combat ready.

What would I do today if I were fit for combat? Well its not a real question as i am 77.

However if there were an invasion and the "enemy" came to my house to kill, i would protect my family as i am able.
    i would pray to be spared from having to make that decision but i would provide protection in accord with my strength and ability.

6. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I served my country. And I came home unscathed. But there is this wall in DC with tens of thousands of names....

7. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.