1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church of Christ (and the like): evangelical or heretical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Mar 18, 2013.

?
  1. Evangelical (within orthodoxy)

21.1%
  2. Heretical (outside of orthodoxy)

68.4%
  3. Not Sure

10.5%
  1. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Wow, talk about exclusive! I knew the CoC was exclusive, but this is amazing!

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Any group or person that teaches a "Jesus plus" salvation is heretical.

3. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I have no personal experience with CoC but from my understanding they would be heretics.

Some Baptists are just as bad. The pastor at church my wife and I used to attend said that anyone baptized in a non-baptist church hasn't had a legitimate baptism (even if by immersion) and ought to be re baptized. that really concerned my wife since she was baptized in non-denom church.
    We left a month or two later

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Those are policies set by individual churches and they are independent one of another. They have their reasons. But the reason certainly isn't a requirement for salvation. No Baptist church believes that.

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Agreed. That's why I specified "some". I was just talking about the exclusiveness of only recognizing "their" baptism. Sorry if that was confusing.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Hard to Classify

The CofC has always been hard to place among the different denominations. Their origins are very murky and recent, such as the LDS. They did not come out of the Reformation. They are not heretical in the same manner as the Catholics, JWs, or Mormons. They really just do not fit anywhere.

They are autonomous like us. At first glance, it seems they treat Christ for Who He is. but really, they do not. They preach a different Gospel. It is just a different Gospel unlike the Catholic, JW, or Mormon. However, preaching a different Gospel is preachng a different Gospel. Anything that differs from salvation by grace through faith only is in grevious error.

There doctrine on baptism is very dangerous. I would rather be sprinkled and believe that my Baptism was a sign of faith in Christ after salvation, than be immersed and depend on baptism for my salvation. In addition, they have odd practices, such as not using an organ or accompanying instuments. I asked one why, and they responded, did they have instruments in the first century. I think they did, as they did in some of the Psalms. The rule shows how shallow they are. Even if there were no instruments, they also did not have electricity or printed bulletins. Also, no caffine. Now that really makes a lot of sense. No coke but 7up is ok.

Overall, it is a very dangerous organization.

7. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think they are heretical, i just think that they don't realize that they had a real baptism when they got saved excepting CHRIST as SAVIOUR. They are going to be suprised when they get there.:thumbs:
    If in thier heart they think that water baptism saved them instead of repenting that they are a sinner and JESUS died for thier sins only then they are sadly mistaken.
    (i pushed thr wrong button on the poll, so the poll is wrong)

#47 ryarn, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A problem here is that you all willy nilly with a broad brush make ‘sozo’ [saved] to always mean the acquisition of eternal life, i.e. the birth from above, regeneration. This is error. ‘Saved’ can nearly always be translated simply as ‘delivered’, ‘salvation’ as deliverance’, and this deliverance is nearly always intended in the temporal sense not the eternal.

Remember that Peter was the apostle to the circumcision and his audience was [Christian] Jews of ‘that generation’ on which the ‘wrath to come’ was to happen:

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said unto them, Ye offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Mt 3:7

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned. Mk 16:16

40 And with many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, Save yourselves from this crooked generation.
    41 They then that received his word were baptized: and there were added unto them in that day about three thousand souls. Acts 2

The only way for those Jews of 'that generation' to be delivered [saved] from the wrath to come and avoid bringing the curses of Lev 26/Dt 28 upon themselves and their progeny was to profess Christ as LORD, and water baptism was an integral part of that profession.

#48 kyredneck, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  9. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

I guess thats why they call you Primitive Baptists :smilewinkgrin:

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This is the "strand" of CoC churches that I am surrounded by. They don't know, of fail to believe, that they were called, at one time, Campbellites. :tonofbricks:

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they add another work to the grace of god, namely, one MUST be water baptized in order to "complete/secure" salvation, so they indeed hold to another gospel!

Not saying many are not saved despite that, but their Gospel is NOT one Jesus/paul taught!

12. John I Morris

John I Morris Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptism has no value toward salvation at all. You are either saved by grace through faith in Christ alone or not. It is not by the tub of water but by thge blood of Christ that we are redeemed. Make no mistake about it. Galatians 2:8-9, it is a gift. Hebrews 11:1, faith cannot be seen, baptism can be seen.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alexander Campbell and Raccoon Smith wrecked havoc on the Church right here in Central Ky early 1800s. This is where CoC has it's roots, sorry to say.

14. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Christ hung on the cross not a bucket of water.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not building a doctrine of Salvation by Baptism. I just mention the verse in Peter and your reaction is that I believe in Salvation by Baptism. However Peter isn't the only one who said this but now you show Mark 16:16 as well. The scriptures them selves say that a matter is settled by two or three witnesses. Are you now changing your mind about it? Mark did include it with belief. Calvinist do not believe there belief saves them as far as I can tell because some of them claim they were saved so they could believe.:smilewinkgrin:

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they are in same boat as United Pentacostalists"jesus Only", for BOTH affirm that unless you are water baptism, you CANNOT be really saved, as the baptism confirms/completes the salvation process!