1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Clearing my name!!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:) :) I think

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney w/colby cheese & garden ripe tomatoe on WW bread with mayo...hmm, hmm good...and a homemade [fermented] dill pickle

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

....and maybe a slice of vadalia onion too!!

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then you should get rid of the baloney & sub with bacon....the government always adds pork so why shouldnt you?

Motto {get rid of the baloney & put in the pork}

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Fried bologna sammich with thick slice of onion, and mustard.

Sometimes you have to look past the word baloney, as to not, yet once again, miss out on the theological truth contained therein, and perhaps see the false teachings of gnosticism being addressed, and, perhaps even learn something. Heavens sakes, you might even see your mentor as being yet again incorrect, sir protege cheerleader of little substance. :)

Otherwise you're just continuing upon your road of being chronically contentious.

What was said (to which I aptly replied) was borderline gnosticism, whether one was aware of it or not. Be warned. :wavey:

Oh, btw, this wasn't all addressed at you EWF. You seem squared away and on the right track.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am not quite that fancy, just lettuce, mayo and salt and pepper for me.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Willis,

I am sorry if you took any unnecessary offence to what I posted. Willis I count you as abrother in Christ. Earlier in the thread the idea that in some way Jesus could sin, or had a sin nature the same as us was being posted .
    I could not remain silent with that open error being posted. the language you used in post 79...i have commented on in the other read...when you asked me about who gives man his Spirit/soul???
    In that thread I posted this....
    Willis...I have my own sin and error to work on...I do not need to take on anyone elses. To your own master you stand or fall.
    However...I think there is a large error on the condition of man in relation to the fall. It is very serious error.

You did not go as far as the other two on their false view of Jesus..as a matter of fact I am thankful for your clear repudiation of that false position!
    What i have seen with you and a few others is the idea that men are alive ...then die later....usually you mis-use romans 7 on this...i was alive without the law once....

What I was attempting to do was what scripture commands ...to admonish one another.....I have seen in the past month this particular error being repeated ,over and over unchecked...as if it were a valid option.

Willis...there have been times we have agreed on issues...and other times we have not been able to agree. I do not want to see you follow a wrong path so I listed you with a few others who have recently agreed in part with teaching that opposes historic church teaching.

I am not your judge Willis.....I will buy breakfast in Huntington, or Louisa..if we get together sometime...because I caused you stress:thumbs:
    Sorry...that was not my purpose toward you.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yeah, he included me when I had just posted that Jesus DID NOT have a sin nature.

There are several here who falsely attack and misrepresent those who disagree with them on a regular basis. Since they cannot overcome scriptural arguments (and they know it) they try to smear the poster.

You guys have missed your calling, you should all be lawyers.

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Join the crowd, Willis.

I too was slandered. In the "those who have never heard" thread.

Just one of those things that some people do...

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman....why lie?

you said that in post 205,,yes...but here is your post 143;
    This is a denial of scripture.

like I said to you the other day...I offered you scripture from a greek teacher....you rejected it then , you reject it now.
    Your posts are full of error...I do not have to smear anything,,,just respond to your error.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

You left out MUCH of my post. I said I REFUSE to believe Jesus had a sin nature, and that I do not like to associate sin with Jesus whatsoever.

Either you are a VERY CARELESS reader or you INTENTIONALLY misrepresent me.

Which is it?

What I said is that the scriptures teach Jesus has the same nature as us, which is true. (Heb 2:16-18)

I said men are not born with a sin nature, but are "flesh" having lusts and desires and this should more accurately be called a "temptation nature". Jesus DID have this nature that he inherited from Mary. Jesus could be tempted. He could not have inherited this ability to be tempted from his Father, as God CANNOT be tempted.

Temptation is not sin. Jesus could be tempted, but he NEVER sinned.

So, you pulled my comments out of context and totally misrepresented me. You should be ashamed, Christians are supposed to be honest.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Here is EXACTLY what I said in post #163 of the closed thread.

You conveniently overlooked this post.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman, you posted this;

We have a sin nature......

The scripture says we have a sin nature......
    so which view are you going to stand by......

Jesus was and is eternally sinless......or he had the same nature as sinful man? You posted it....you can retract it if you want.....or do you stand by it?

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

I do not believe we have a sin nature. The scriptures say we are "flesh" and have lusts and desires. I have said several times now that I think it more accurate to call this a "temptation nature".

Once more, the scriptures clearly say Jesus has the same nature as us.

Heb 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
    17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
    18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Verse 16 says Jesus did not have the nature of angels, but took on the nature of the seed of Abraham. He had the nature of men.

Verse 17 says IN ALL THINGS it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren. ALL THINGS means ALL THINGS. He is not different from us.

Verse 18 says he SUFFERED being TEMPTED. Jesus could be tempted, but he never sinned.

But notice how it describes us, it says we are also tempted. We are flesh, and our flesh lusts against the spirit. Jesus had these same lusts, but he never obeyed them when it would have caused him to sin. Some lusts are not sinful. It is not sinful to be hungry, but if we allow this natural lust to get out of control we can become a glutton and become obese. It is not wrong to desire sex as long as it is within marriage. It is when we obey our natural sex drive outside marriage that we sin.

You are confusing temptation with sin, they are not the same. It is normal to be attracted to a beautiful woman. That is temptation. But we must not dwell on this and think sinful thoughts. We we willingly entertain sinful thoughts, then it becomes sin.

Let's say you find a wallet on the ground with a thousand dollars in it. No one saw you, you could easily put the money in your pocket and throw the wallet away. That is temptation. But we do not have to do that, we can return the wallet. In fact, I have found a wallet on at least three occasions in my life, and twice there was several hundred dollars in the wallet. But I returned it to the owner. But for a minute there, I did think that I could keep the cash, no one would have known. That is temptation.

The scriptures clearly teach Jesus FELT temptation.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Jesus wasn't simply tempted. He felt the temptation. When he was hungry in the wilderness and the devil suggested he turn the stone into bread, that tempted Jesus. But he did not do it. He never sinned.

We are born flesh. We have lusts and desires. When we obey these lusts and desires in contradiction to God's commands we sin. Eve was tempted when she looked at the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. It looked good to eat, it would make her wise. This is temptation. But that is not sin. Only when she obeyed these lusts and actually ate of the tree did she sin, because God had commanded they not eat of it.

So, man was created flesh. Adam and Eve had lusts and desires before they actually sinned. This is not a "sin nature" it is called the "flesh" and more accurately should be called a "temptation nature".

Now, I can't make it much clearer than that. I think you know quite well what I am saying. Jesus did not have a sin nature, but he had the ability to be tempted. Jesus came in the "flesh"

1 Jn 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

You may think you are honoring Jesus by saying he did not come in the same flesh we have, but you are actually denying the word of God. This is the spirit of antichrist.

#34 Winman, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
  15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman,
    I did not say Jesus did not come in the flesh.....why lie....

Winman....who is the hippie pictured in your avatar?

You added to scripture when you attempted to twist hebrews 2:16 saying he has our nature
    but this is what it does say;
    16for, doubtless, of messengers it doth not lay hold, but of seed of Abraham it layeth hold...is what it says...nice try though.....

so listen...you really are not interested in truth...just argument.....so you can hold on to your error if you like... I would rather spend time with someone who wants to learn truth.....not invent novelties.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't know what you are reading, but I quoted the King James Bible verbatim, look and see for yourself.

You really have no shame, do you?

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I gave you Youngs literal translation.

Really.....

Here is what you posted....verbatim
    Verse 16 says Jesus did not have the nature of angels, but took on the nature of the seed of Abraham

The bolded portion is your unscriptural addition....so you once again are not telling the truth.....here is the actual king james;

Lying is a sin. rather than admit your error you persist. The text does not say he took on him the nature of the seed of Abraham...you said that because you were trying to get out of your false post....

Then you of course,when you are called on it you accuse me ......When you cannot answer to truth this is always a last resort...Like I said....we are free in America to believe truth or make up error.
    I am not interested in interaction with someone who is not being honest even with quoting scripture.

#37 Iconoclast, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, now I will have to quote some commentaries to show you I am quite orthodox in what I believe here. Here is what Matthew Henry said:

Barnes Notes

John Gill

Seen enough, or do I need to show you more? All of these men were Calvinists, and every one of them agree with my interpretation.

I can find more if you like...

#38 Winman, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Far As I'm Concerned...

....Your name was cleared when He died on the cross! You're alright in my sight! :thumbs:

Pastor Paul

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Thank you for the kinds words Brother. I did not start this wanting an apology, but to clear the air, and let people know that I do not believe what was said that I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.