1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

COL 2:16 And The Sabbath - Are You Being Told The Truth?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 3rdAngel, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Hello, all my brothers and sisters in Christ! I have noticed a lot of confusion on this topic in another thread which is just finished here called “WHAT DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY ? - IT IS NOT SUNDAY” which you may want to visit.

Many people pull up COLOSSIANS 2:16 without considering

1. THE CHAPTER CONTEXT

2. THE WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTEXT

3. THE GREEK WORD MEANINGS OF THE WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTEXT

4. CONTEXT TO THE REST OF THE SCRIPTURE WITHIN ALL SCRIPTURE

In the days of JESUS and the Disciples their bible was the OLD TESTAMENT scriptures so everything that we have in the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures comes from the OLD TESTAMENT scriptures.

The point being made here is that much of the NEW TESTAMENT has direct links and is directly quoting OLD TESTAMENT scripture which with a prayerful study of God's Word can help us understand the meanings and context of what is being discussed in the NEW TESTAMENT which in many cases are a fulfillment of the OLD SHADOW laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the OLD COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7.

I would like to propose an evaluation of COLOSSIANS 2:16-17 using all of the above applied to COLOSSIANS 2 for chapter context and in particular COLOSSIANS 2:16 for within scripture context linking the scritures from the OLD TESTAMENT that are being discussed here.

The reason being, many people try to simply use a single NEW TESTAMENT scripture (COLOSSIANS 2:16) which they pull out of the CHAPTER and the within SCRIPTURE CONTEXT and separate it from all the scriptures provided in God’s Word from which it is quoting to try and make it say things that it is not saying.

This is a discussion that I hope will encourage you and challenge you to dig deep into God's WORD, praying and asking JESUS to be your guide and teacher which he promises to do to all those who ask him and seek him to answer the question...

IS COLOSSIANS 2 SAYING THAT WE ARE NO LONGER TO KEEP GOD'S SABBATH?

I believe you all are my brothers and sisters and that God's people are in all churches living up to all the light that God has revealed to them. The hour is coming and now is however that God is calling his people wherever they may be OUT FROM FOLLOWING THE TEACHINGS AND TRADITIONS OF MEN back to the pure words of GOD alone. God is a Spirit and those who worship him must worship him in Spirit and in truth *JOHN 10:17; JOHN 4:23-24

May you receive God's WORD and be blessed.

#1 3rdAngel, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    1. THE CHAPTER CONTEXT OF COLOSSIANS 2:11-17

I will possibly spend some time here examining the CHAPTER CONTEXT because the chapter context will determine the “SUBJECT MATTER” and “TOPIC OD CONVERSATION being discussed and the context the scripture is being applied to. So what we are seeking to discover here is……

1. WHAT IS THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION AND TOPIC OF COLOSSIANS 2:16?

This will help us to understand what COLOSSIANS 2:16 is talking about. Let’s start by looking at COLOSIANS 2:11-14 which will help us to understand COLOSSIANS 2:16.

Let's start...

COLOSSIANS 2:11-17 CHAPTER CONTEXT
    [11], In whom also you are CIRCUMCISION with the CIRCUMCISION made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
    [12], Buried with him in baptism, in which also you are risen with him through the faith of the working of God, who has raised him from the dead.
    [13], And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, has he made alive together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
    [14], BLOTTING OUT the HANDWRITING of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
    [15], And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
    [16], Let no man therefore judge you in FOOD AND DRINK, or in respect of a HOLY DAY [FESTIVAL], or of the NEW MOON, or of the SABBATH DAYS:
    [17], Which are a SHADOW OF THINGS TO COME; but the body is of Christ.

CHAPTER CONTEXT OF COL 2:14 AND SUBJECT MATTER (COL 2:11-17)

V11. Shadows of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION pointing to CIRCUMCISION of the HEART MADE WITHOUT HANDS by the CIRCUMCISION of Christ.

THE SHADOW LAWS FORETOLD IN THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES….

DEUTERONOMY 10:16 [16] CIRCUMCISE THERFORE THE FORESKIN OF YOUR HEART, and be no more stiff-necked.

DEUTERONOMY 30:6 [6] And the LORD your God will CIRCUMCISE YOUR HEART AND THE HEART OF YOUR DECENDENCE, TO LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND WITHYOU’RE YOUR SOUL, THAT YOU MAY LIVE.

JEREMIAH 4:4 [4] CIRCUMCISE YOURSELF TO THE LORD, AND TAKE AWAY THE FORESKINS OF YOUR HEART, you men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings.

NOTE: NEW COVENANT FULFILLMENT of the SHADOWS of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION pointing the CIRCUMCISION of the HEART through faith in Christ…

ROMANS 2:25-29 [25] For circumcision verily profits, if you keep the law: but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision is made uncircumcision. [26], Therefore if the uncircumcision keeps the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? [27], And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfils the law, judge you, who by the letter and circumcision do transgress the law? [28], FOR HE IS NOT A JEW, WHO IS ONE; NEITHER IS THAT CIRCUMCISION, WHICH IS OF THE OUTWARD FLESH: [29], BUT HE IS A JEW WHICH IS ONE INWARDLY; AND CIRCUMCISION IS THAT OF THE HEART, IN THE SPIRIT AND NOT IN THE LETTER; WHOSE PRAISE IS NOT OF MEN BUT OF GOD.

1 CORITHIANS 7:19 [19] CIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, AND UNCIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, BUT THE KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD.

This is the operation of GOD in the NEW COVENANT…

HEBREWS 8:10 [10], For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND WRITE THEM IN THEIR HEARTS [NOTE: THE SHADOW OF CIRCUMCSION]: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

CONCLUSION; The CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION is a Shadow law from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT pointing to a NEW HEART to LOVE and OBEY GOD in the NEW COVENANT. The SHADOW laws of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES of CIRCUMCISION from the Mosaic BOOK of the Covenant are the within CHAPTER CONTEXT BEFORE COL 2:14

Let's continue on through the chapter...

COLOSSIANS 2:14 SCRIPTURE SUBJECT MATTER AND CONTENT.

14, Blotting out the HANDWRITING of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

GREEK WORD MEANINGS AND WORD USE

14, “BLOTTING OUT” < G1813 ἐξαλείφω exaleipho (ex-a-lei'-fō) v. means to rub out, i.e. obliterate, erase> the “HANDWRITING” < G5498 χειρόγραφον cheirographon (chei-ro'-gra-fon) n. means something hand-written (“chirograph”), a manuscript specially, a legal document > of “ORDINANCES” < G1378 δόγμα dogma (d̮og'-ma) n. means ordinance; CIVIL, CEREMONIAL or ECCLESIASTICAL LAWS> that was against us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

The GREEK WORD meanings here in this scripture show that it follows the same CONTEXT of v11-13 in relation to the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7.

V14
    Blotting out or erasing the legal MANUSCRIPT or document of ORDINANCES referred to here are those of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT.

The GREEK word for ORDIANACE is DOGMA meaning THE CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL ORDINANCES once again only found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant *EXODUS 24:7

This scripture cannot be referring to the abolishing of the 10 commandments of God’s LAW as God’s 10 Commandments are not ORDINANCES and they are not written in a MANUSCRIPT they are written on two tables of stone (Exodus 31:18). Also the chapter CONTEXT is in reference to the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES of CIRCUMCISION once again from the MOSAIC BOOK of the OLD COVENANT. These were all SHADOWS ALONG WITH THE ORDINANCES OF v17 pointing to Christ and the plan of SALVATION.

ORDINANCES that were against us is referring to the also referring to the PENALTY of SIN (breaking God’s Commandments which is death) and the ORDINANCES of curses written once again in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant.

ECCLESIASTES 18:20 20, The soul that sins, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be on him.

ROMANS 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

DEUTERONOMY 31:26 [26] Take this Book of the Law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there FOR A WITNESS AGAINST THEE.

DEUTERONOMY 30:19 [19] For GOD has said, I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, BLESSINGS AND CURSES: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: [20] That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest OBEY his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD swore unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

The death penalty is against us. So were all the ceremonial laws from the OLD COVENANT that were required to seek God's forgiveness *LEVITICUS 16. In the NEW COVENANT we are forgiven by FAITH through confession and repentance for our sins *1 JOHN 1:9; MATTHEW 3:2 . No more animal sacrifices required.

(See the list of ORDINACES for curses of breaking Gods’ Law in DEUTERONOMY 28:15-68)

……….

So, what is the answer to the question we asked earlier

1. WHAT IS THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION AND TOPIC OF COLOSSIANS 2:16?

ANSWER; As shown through the scriptures above in COLOSSIANS 2:11-14 linked to the OLD and NEW TESATMANT scriptures, the “CONTEXT”, “SUBJECT MATTER” and TOPIC OF CONVERSATION” of COL 2:11-14 is talking about the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES written in the “SHADOW LAWS” from the MOSIAC BOOK of the Covenant which are SHADOW laws pointing to Jesus and God’s plan of SALVATION in the NEW COVENANT. The “CONTEXT” and “SUBJECT MATTER” of COLOSSIANS 2:16 is not referring to ABOLISHING any one of God’s 10 Commandments.

#2 3rdAngel, Oct 3, 2019
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  3. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    2. THE WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTEXT OF COLOSSIANS 2:14

In the last section we looked at the “WITHIN CHAPTER CONTEXT” of COLOSSIANS 2:16 now in this section we will look at the “WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTECT” and GREEK WORD MEANINGS of COLOSSIANS 2:14 which supports what has already been presented in the “CHAPTER CONTEXT” demonstrated through the scriptures in the previous post.

Looking at the within scripture word meaning of and context of COLOSSIANS 2:14-16 continued..

COLOSSIANS 2:14 [14], Blotting out the HANDWRITING of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

GREEK WORD MEANINGS AND WORD USE

14, “BLOTTING OUT” < G1813 ἐξαλείφωexaleipho (ex-a-lei'-fō) v. means to rub out, i.e. obliterate, erase>the “HANDWRITING” < G5498 χειρόγραφον cheirographon (chei-ro'-gra-fon) n. means something hand-written (“chirograph”), a manuscript specially, a legal document > of “ORDINANCES< G1378 δόγμα dogma (d̮og'-ma) n. means ordinance; CIVIL, CEREMONIAL or ECCLIESIASTICAL laws >that was against us, WHICH WERE AGAINST , and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

The GREEK WORD meanings here in this scripture show that it follows the same CONTEXT of v11-13 is in relation to the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT (i.e. shadow law of circumcision).

So with the GREEK word meanings added for clarification the scripture context of COLOSSIANS 2:16-17 reads..

V14 Blotting out or erasing the legal MANUSCRIPT or document of ORDINANCES referred to here are those of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT. The GREEK word for ORDIANACE is DOGMA mean ing THE CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL ORDINANCES once again only found in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant

What is being REPLACED in the NEW COVANANT is the CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL laws and ORDINANCES not God's 10 commandments!

This scripture cannot be referring to the abolishing of the 10 commandments of God’s LAW as God’s 10 Commandments are not ORDINANCES and they are not written in a MANUSCRIPT they are written on two tables of stone (Exodus 31:18). The chapter CONTEXT is in reference to the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES of CIRCUMCISION once again from the MOSAIC BOOK of the OLD COVENANT. These were all SHADOWS and ORDINANCES OF the Mosaic BOOK of the Covenant v17 pointing to Christ and the plan of SALVATION.

ORDINANCES that were against us is referring to the also referring to the PENALTY of SIN (breaking God’s Commandments and the ORDINANCES of curses written once again in the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant.

DEUTERONOMY 31 [26] TAKE THIS BOOK OF THE LAW, and put it in the side of the ark of the COVENANT of the LORD your God, that it may be there FOR A WITNESS AGAINST THEE.

DEUTERONOMY 29 [21] And the LORD shall separate him unto evil out of all the tribes of Israel, ACCORDING TO ALL THE CURSES OF THE COVENANT that are WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW.

(See the list of ORDINACES for curses of breaking Gods’ Law in DEUTERONOMY 28:15-68)

………..

WHAT IS THE WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTEXT OF COLOSSIANS 2:14?

ANSWER; The “WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTEXT” and Greek word meaning support the scriptures provided in the “CHAPTER CONTEXT”. COL 2:14 is talking about the CIVIL CEREMONIAL AND ECCLESIASTICAL ORDINANCES written in the MOSIAC BOOK of the Covenant which are SHADOW laws pointing to Jesus and God’s plan of SALVATION. This is supported also by the within CHAPTER CONTEXT and SUBJECT matter of v16 which are all CEREMONIAL ORDINANCES written in the MOCAIC BOOK of the COVENANT and not referring to ABOLISHING God’s 10 Commandments.

#3 3rdAngel, Oct 3, 2019
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  4. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    3. LINKING THE NEW TO THE OLD – COLOSSIANS 2:14 “ORDINANCES” CONTINUED

COLOSSIANS 2:14 [14], Blotting out the HANDWRITING of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

HEBREWS 9:1;9-10; 12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

old covenant...blood of goats.....The meat and drink offerings

HEBREWS 10 [4] FOR IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND OF GOATS SHOULD TAKE AWAY SINS.[5] Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:[6] In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.[7] Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.[8] Above when he said, sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;[9] Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. HE TAKETH AWAY THE FIRST, THAT HE MAY ESTABLISH THE SECOND.

EPHESIANS 2:15-16 [15] HAVING ABOLISHED in his flesh the enmity, even the LAW OF COMMANDMENTS CONTAINED IN ORDINANCES; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;[16] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

HEBREWS 13:9-12 [9] Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be ESTABLISHED WITH GRACE; NOT WITH MEATS, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. [10] We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. [11] For THE BODIES OF THOSE BEASTS, WHOSE BLOOD is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. [12] WHEREFORE JESUS ALSO, THAT HE MIGHT SANCTIFY THE PEOPLE WITH HIS OWN BLOOD, suffered without the gate.

The first covenant had ORDINANCES which stood ONLY in meat and drink offerings which were a figure. A shadow

EZEKIEL 46:14 [14] And thou shalt prepare a meat offering for it every morning, the sixth part of an ephah, and the third part of an hin of oil, to temper with the fine flour; a MEAT OFFERING continually by a perpetual ORDINANCE unto the LORD.

HEBREWS 10:1-4 [1] For THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with THOSE SACRIFICES WHICH THEY OFFERED YEAR BY YEAR continually make the comers thereunto perfect.[2] For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. [3] But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.[4] For IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND OF GOATS SHOULD TAKE AWAY SINS.

Hebrews 10 says it all. The shadow of the law was the offerings (the meat and drink offerings).

NUMBERS 19:2 [2] This is the ORDINANCE OF THE LAW which the Lord hath commanded, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring thee a red heifer without spot, wherein is no blemish, and upon which never came yoke:

JOHN 6:55 [55] For my flesh is MEAT indeed, and my blood is DRINK indeed.

NUMBERS 18:8 [8] And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, BY AN ORDINANCE for ever.[9] This shall be thine of the most holy things, reserved from the fire: EVERY OBLATION of theirs, EVERY MEAT OFFERING of theirs, and EVERY SIN OFFERING of theirs, and every trespass offering of theirs, which they shall render unto me, shall be most holy for thee and for thy sons.The new covenant is all about the blood of Christ and God's LAW written on the heart in those who BELIEVE the WORD of GOD. Not changing the law....but fulfilling the law

ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then make void the law through faith? GOD FORBID: YEA, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW.

ZECHARIAH 9:9-11 [9] Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, THY KING COMETH UNTO THEE: HE IS JUST, AND HAVING SALVATION; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.[10] And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from river even to the ends of the earth.[11] As for thee also, BY THE BLOOD OF THY COVENANT I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water

Verse 9 definitely prophecies of the coming Jesus. Verse 11, Jesus is called the blood of thy covenant

HEBREWS 12:23-24 [23] To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,[24] And to Jesus THE MEDIATOR OF THE NEW COVENANT, AND TO THE BLOOD of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

New covenant... blood

LUKE 22 [19] And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. [20] Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, THIS CUP IS THE NEW TESTAMENT IN MY BLOOD, which is shed for you.

Where is all this leading? The NEW COVENANT of course...

JEREMIAH 31:31-34, [31] Behold, the days come, says the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:[32], NOT ACCORDING TO THE COVENANT THAT I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt ; MY COVENANT WHICH THEY BROKE, although I was a husband unto them, says the LORD:[33], But THIS SHALL BE MY COVENANT THAT I SHALL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISREAL; After those days, says the LORD, I WILL PUT MY LAWS IN THEIR INWARD PARTS, AND I WILL WRITE IT IN THEIR HEARTS AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE; [34], And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

2 CORINTHIANS 3:2-3 [2], You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: [3], Since you are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, WRITTEN NOT WITH INK, BUT WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE LIVING GOD; NOT IN TABLES OF STONE, BUT IN THE FLESHLY TABLES OF THE HEART. (see all of 2 COR 3)

…………

CONCLUSION;
    Jesus did not come to change or destroy GOD'S LAW (10 Commandments). It is through GOD's LAW that we have a KNOLWEDGE of what SIN is. The sabbath is still to be kept. He came to fulfil what was written of Him in the BOOK OF THE LAW OF ORDINANCES and to END the Mosaic law for remission of SIN and the penalty of SIN in those who BELIEVE. COLOSSIANS 2 is not talking about God’s 10 COMMANDMENTS. NO MORE ORDINANCES WRITTEN IN THE MOSAIC BOOK of the OLD COVENANT Ceremonial/Levitical/Sacrificial laws and animal sacrifices and FORGIVENESS OF SIN and DELIVERANCE from the PENALTY of SIN through FAITH in CHRIST and the BLOOD of the NEW COVENANT.

#4 3rdAngel, Oct 3, 2019
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  5. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    4. THE GREEK WORD MEANINGS OF THE WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTEXT LINKING THE NEW TESTAMENT BACK TO THE OLD TESTAMENT?

We have seen from the previous sections; looking at the “CHAPTER CONTEXT” in COLOSSIANS 2:11-14 that the “SUBJECT MATTER” and the “TOPIC OF CONVERSATION” prior to COLOSSIANS 2:16 are the “SHADOW LAWS” from the “MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT IN “ORDINANCES” (e.g. CIRCUMCISION) that point to JESUS and God’s plan of salvation in the NEW COVENANT.

What is being discussed here is NOT THE 10 COMMANDMENTS for which God’s 4th Commandment SABBATH is a part of. So the next question is;

“WHAT IS THE GREEK WORD MEANING AND APPLICATION USED HERE FOR SABBATH and the WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTEXT AND APPLICAION?”

So in this section I would like to discuss the meaning of the GREEK word for “SABBATH” (SABBATON) which is different to the HEBREW Word meaning which provides a different meaning depending on it’s application and can mean;

1. “the SABBATH (God’s 4th commandment)” or
    2. “ANY DAY OF REST OR REPOSE FROM SECULAR WORK” or
    3. “A SEVEN DAY WEEK”

Depending on the words applcaion within the scriptures, all the word definitions listed above can be applied in singular form or in plural application.

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - G4521

σάββατον sabbaton Of Hebrew origin [H7676]; the Sabbath (that is, Shabbath), or day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension a se'nnight, that is, the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications: - sabbath (day), week.

This means ALL the ANNUAL FEAST days that were not the SEVENTH DAY but where no work was to be done are also translated as SABBATON in the Greek.

Let’s apply this now to COLOSSIANS 2:16 asking the question which definition should be applied here; what is the meaning that COLOSSIANS 2:16 is applying?

OK lets now look at the "within scripture context" of COLOSSIANS 2:16 linking the ORIGIN of the OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT scriptures that PAUL is referring to.

COLOSSIANS 2:16 [16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an HOLYDAY [FEASTIVALS], or of the NEW MOON, or of the SABBATH DAY <plural>:

PAUL'S within scriptures CONTEXT and use of COLOSSIANS 2:16-17 is in reference to the OLD TESTAMENT scriptures also liked here…..

EZEKIEL 45:17 [17] And it shall be the prince's part to give BURNT OFFERINGS, and MEAT OFFERINGS, and DRINK OFFERINGS, in the FEASTS, and in the NEW MOONS, and in the SABBATHS, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

NUMBERS 28 [9] And on the Sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour for a MEAT OFFERING, mingled with oil, and the DRINK OFFERING thereof: [10] This is the burnt offering of EVERY SABBATH, beside the continual BURN'T OFFERING, and his DRINK OFFERING.

ISAIAH 1:10-14 [10] Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.[11] To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I AM FULL OF THE BURNT OFFERINGS of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.[12] When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?[13] BRING NO MORE VAIN OBLATIONS; incense is an abomination unto me; THE NEW MOONS AND SABBATHS, THE CALLING OF ASSEMBLIES (annual festivals), I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.[14] Your NEW MOONS and your APPOINTED FEASTS my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

LEVITICUS 23:4 [4] These are THE FEASTS OF THE LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. [5] In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is THE LORD'S PASSOVER. [6] And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the Lord: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread…… [13] And the MEAT OFFERING thereof shall be two tenth deals of fine flour mingled with oil, an offering made by fire unto the Lord for a sweet savour: and the DRINK OFFERING thereof shall be of wine, the fourth part of an hin.

HOSEA 2:11 [11], I will also cause all her mirth to CEASE, HER [ISRAEL'S] FEAST DAYS, her NEW MOONS, and HER SABBATHS, and all HER [ISRAELS] SOLEMN FEASTS.

wait for it back to the NEW...

HEBREWS 9:1-12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO, ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] WHICH WAS A FIGURE for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

HEBREWS 10:1-9
    [1], FOR THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW OF GOOD THINGS TO COME, AND NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, CAN NEVER WITH THOSE SACRIFICES which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
    [2], For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
    [3], But in those SACRIFICES there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
    [4], For it is not possible that THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND GOATS should take away sins.
    [5], Why when he comes into the world, he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS YOU WOULD NOT BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME:
    [6], IN BURN'T OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAVE HAD NO PLEASURE.
    [7], Then said I, See, I come in the VOLUME OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME, to do your will, O God.
    [8], Above when he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERINGS FOR SIN YOU WOULD NOT, neither had pleasure therein; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW;
    [9], Then said he, See, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.

NOTE; the LAW in reference here is NOT God's 10 Commandments but the law of sin offereings from the SHADOW laws of the MOSAIC BOOK of the LAW *DEUTERONOMY 31:24-26 from the OLD COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7 (Please look at the attached scriptures)

CONCLUSION: COL 2:16 is not in reference to God's 10 Commandments. They are in reference to the ceremonial laws in ORDINANCES connected to feast days and the annual sabbaths that are directly connected to feasts that can fall on any day of the week and not God's "SEVENTH DAY" weekly Sabbath that is outside of the JEWISH annual festivals that is a part of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *ROMANS 3:20

The GREEK word meaing and application of SABBATHS; SABBATH DAYS from COLOSSIANS 2:16 as shown in the CHAPTER CONTEXT and WITHIN SCRIPTURE CONTEXT is to the application of the GREEK word meaning to “ANY DAY OF REST OR REPOSE FROM SECULAR WORK” which is a reference to the HOLY CONVOCATIONS (calling out to public meetings) and the annual sabbaths in festivals that can fall on any day of the week.

Next lets look at there "speacial sabbaths connected to the feast days"?

#5 3rdAngel, Oct 3, 2019
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  6. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    5. SABBATON (SABBATH DAYS) IN COLOSSIANS 2:16 WHAT IS IT POINTING TO?

The CONTEXT of LEVITICUS 23 here are the appointed times of the ANNUAL FESTIVALS. These ANNUAL FESTIVALS are once a year events and includes days of HOLY CONVOCATION. A HOLY CONVOCATION in Hebrew means;

HOLY קדשׁ ; qôdesh From H6942; a sacred place or thing; rarely abstractly sanctity: - consecrated (thing), dedicated (thing), hallowed (thing), holiness, (X most) holy (X day, portion, thing), saint, sanctuary.

CONVOCATION מקרא; miqrâ'; From H7121; something called out, that is, a public meeting (the act, the persons, or the palce); also a rehearsal: - assembly, calling, convocation, reading.

So CONTEXT of LEVITICUS 23 is lising all the days of HOLY CONVOCATION for the ANNUAL FEASTIVALS. That are SACRED PUBLIC MEETINGS for the YEARLY FEAST DAYS.

God's 4th Commandments is a part of the ANNUAL FEAST days because many FEASTS were longer then 7 days or the FEASTS could start on any day depending on the YEARLY CYCLE.

This is different to the "special annual sabbath" that are connected directly to the feast days that could fall on any day of the week depending on the yearly cycle. So we are not discussing the same thing here.

God's 4th Commandment which is one of God's 10 commandment that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *ROMANS 3:20. God's 4th commandment is not one of the "special" annual sabbaths strictly linked to the feastivals like those listed in LEVITICUS 23

These "special" sabbaths linked directly to certain festivals can fall on any day of the week and are only used in the annual Jewish festivals of

1. Feasts of Trumpets (Lev 23:24) or
    2. Day of Atonement (Lev 23:32 or
    3. Feast of Booths (Lev 23:39)

Unlike God's 4th commandment SABBATH which is striclty every SEVENTH DAY of the week required outside of the feasts days and are a part of God's 10 Commandments.

SO dig deeper my brothers and sisters.

Receive God's WORD and be blessed.

#6 3rdAngel, Oct 3, 2019
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  7. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    This OP is a challenge to anyone who thinks that COLOSSIANS 2:16-17 are proof texts that teach that God's 4th commandment SABBATH been abolished and to demonstrate from the scriptures alone that COLOSSIANS 2 is in reference to the 10 commandments of which the 4th Commandment is one of the 10 *ROMANS 3:20.

8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh no, not again! (This was as good a copy and paste endeavor as I have ever seen).

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  9. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    It is God's WORD (not mine) do you believe Gods Word? Of course I prayerfully studied the scriptures and wrote them in MS Word and pasted them here. What has that got to do with you denying the scriptures provided here without reason and shared in love?

#9 3rdAngel, Oct 3, 2019
  10. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Non-sequitur. Every good apologist, and debater has a prepared list of texts for their position. Simply whining about that, doesn't negate what is presented. More refutation by scripture, less 'you'.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bunk! I ain't reading any of this.

12. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you know it is "Bunk!" if you "ain't reading any of this"? Seems like a logical inconsistency to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a logical consistency that your posts are cut & paste propoganda that attempt to show the scripture does not mean what it says.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where have I cut and paste in this thread?

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You were shown the Scriptures, besides Col. 2:16 that shows Christians began meeting to worship on SUNDAYS, & that Jesus didn't onject. For those who missed them, here they are again:

John 20:19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.

1 Cor. 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Now, the same 7 days of the week have been recognized since time immemorial, with the first day of the week being the one we call Sunday in English. And we see JESUS didn't object!

Now, we know Jesus was resurrected before the women went to His tomb, which they didn't do on the Sabbath. so there's absolutely no mistake about twhat day of the week it was. And the context shows the disciples had gathered on that same day, when Jesus appeared to them. The context of the chapter proves that.

So, your SDA stuff remains garbage, unless the BIBLE is wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Hello Roby, nice to see you. Here is some comments for your consideration, section by section and scripture by scripture. If you disagree with anything I have posted here. Please by all means show why you disagree section by section and scripture by scripture. Now please keep in mind the "TOPIC OF THE OP" is "COL 2:16 And The Sabbath - Are You Being Told The Truth?" so rather than going all over the place and going off topic it would be good to keep the discussion to the topic of the OP if that is ok. Sub topics are ok if you can demonstrate from the scriptures why it has relavence to the OP.
    You were shown why from the scriptures alone that the purpose of God's 10 Commandments according to the scriptures in the NEW COVENANT is to give us the "KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL"; "SIN AND RIGHTOUESNESS" *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4 and that if we break any one of them we stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:9-10 and that there is not a single scripture in all the bible that says God's 4th commandment has been "ABOLISHED" and we are now commanded to keep "SUNDAY" as a "HOLY DAY". You were also shown that there is not a single scripture in all the bible that says "THE LORDS DAY" is "SUNDAY OR THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK". Yet it is God's WORD alone that says that "THE LORDS DAY" is the SABBATH DAY *MATTHEW 12:8.

So, if there is not a single scripture in all of the bible that says God's 4th commandment has been "ABOLISHED" and we are now commanded to keep "SUNDAY" as a "HOLY DAY" who are we following? JESUS? or the teachings and traditions of men that break that break the commandments of God? JESUS says those who follow man made teachings and traditions that break the commandments of God are not following God *MATTHEW 15:3-9.

Now as to your claim here that Christians began meeting on Sunday to worship and JESUS didn't object? We are to worship GOD "EVERYDAY" so why would JESUS object? All the disciples after the death of JESUS met together "EVERYDAY" of the week to whorship GOD breaking bread from house to house as shown in ACTS 2:46-47 but they still kept God's 4th commandment SABBATH according to the scriptures.

Worshipping God every day has never been the issue here. The issue JESUS objects to is specifically stated in MATTHEW 15:3-9 when we follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

Sunday worship is a man made teaching and traditions that is not biblical and has lead many away from God's WORD to follow man made teachings introduced into Christianity by the man of sin *DANIAL 7:25.

JESUS knew mankind would forget his 4th Commandment and that is why it starts of "REMEMBER" THE SABBATH DAY TO KEEP IT HOLY" *EXODUS 20:8. We should "WORSHIP" God "EVERYDAY" but it is the "SEVENTH DAY" that God commands that we are to keep as a "HOLY DAY" that no work is to be done and if we break "KNOWINGLY" break God's 4th commandment, just like any other of the 10 Commandments we stand guilty before God of sin.

That might do for this section. Some more to come

#16 3rdAngel, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  17. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Roby, let's go through each of the scriptures you have provided here that you claim are proof texts for keeping "SUNDAY" in place of God's 4th commandment
    So, JESUS rested on the "SABBATH" in the tome according to the commandment and rose on the first day of the week and stood in the midst of the disciples says that God's God's "4TH COMMANDMENT" which is one of the "10 COMMANDMENTS" that give us the "KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT SIN IS" *ROMANS 3:20 has been abolished where? Roby this scripture does not say God's 4th commandment has been "ABOLISHED" and we are now commanded to keep sunday as a "HOLY DAY" now does it?

Now let's add the context back into the scriptures here. The reason the disciples were gathered together on the first day of the week to break bread is found in the very scripture you are quoting from in ACTS 20:7.....Paul preached to them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. So the reason why the disciples had gathered together was because Paul was leaving the next day. All the disciples after the death of JESUS met together "EVERYDAY" of the week to whorship GOD breaking bread from house to house as shown in ACTS 2:46-47 but they still kept God's 4th commandment SABBATH according to the scriptures. Now where does it say in ACTS 20:7 that God's God's "4TH COMMANDMENT" which is one of the "10 COMMANDMENTS" that give us the "KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT SIN IS" *ROMANS 3:20 has been abolished where? Roby this scripture does not say God's 4th commandment has been "ABOLISHED" and we are now commanded to keep sunday as a "HOLY DAY" now does it?

Let's add the "CONTEXT" back into the scripture you are quoting from. The reason PAUL was asking the Corinthians to lay aside their money was because Paul was passing through to collect it on his way to JERUSALEM...

1 CORINTHIANS 16:1-3 [1], Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do you.
    [2], On the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God has prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. [3], And when I come, whomsoever you shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality to Jerusalem.

Once again where does it say in this scripture that God's 4th commandment has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day?

Now Roby, every section of your post has been addressed with God's WORD section by section and scripture by scripture showing that you have provided no scripture that says God's 4th Commandment has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day. Does this now worry you brother? If it doesn't it should. God's 4th commandment is one of God's 10 Commandments that give us the knowledge of what SIN is when broken *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4 and if we "KNOWINGLY" break any one of God's 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin. According to the scriptures, all those who continue in known unrepentant sin will not enter into the kingdom of Heaven because they reject the gift of Gods dear son *HEBREWS 10:26-39; ROMANS 6:23.

Now God has his people in "EVERY CHURCH" living up to all the knowledge he has revealed to them *JOHN 10:16 but
    But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth *JOHN 4:23-24. God is calling his people where ever they may be to come out from following man made traditions to whorship God in Spirit and in truth, back to the pure WORD of GOD *REVELATION 18:1-5.

Brother Roby, in times of ignorance when we do not know any better, God winks at. But when God gives us a "KNOWLEDGE" of his WORD he calls all men everywhere to "BELIEVE AND FOLLOW" it *ACTS 17:30-31, for
    if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins,but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries *HEBREWS 10:26-27.

Now brother, you have only been provided God's WORD. These are God's WORD'S not my words. If they are God's WORD'S and not my words why do you not believe them? I pray that you may prayerfully consider the scriptures provided here like the faithful "BAREANS" and receive these words in the Spirit that it has been given (love). God's Word brother is not wrong and we should believe and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

May you receive God's Word and be blessed.

18. 3rdAngel

3rdAngel Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Yep thanks for posting brother Alofa, I do not understand why people think sharing scripture is propagander? The way I see it is that we either have scripture to support our positions or we do not. We should be worried if we do not as it only shows we are following man made teachings and traditions and not the Word of God. What are your thoughts brother?

19. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Please show them again to me robycop3. What do you refer to.?

Where does Colossians 2 (in the whole of the chapter) say anything about "SUNDAYS", or even the 'first [day] of the week'?

What do you mean that, "Jesus didn't object"? Paul is writing in Colossians 2 by the Holy Spirit, and doesn't mention one word about "SUNDAYS" or even "the first [day] of the week".

Jesus' own example from the time of being found in the likeness of sinful flesh of mankind, unto His ascension in the glorified flesh of mankind, He is obedient to God's Law, the Ten Commandments, and kept the 7th day, the sabbath of His Father, even as we see in Luke 4., wherein the Gospel from Isaiah 61 is first spoken of by Jesus.

Let's consider those texts, shall we?

20. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you read this text in combination with Luke's account, you will find that this meeting actually took place the second evening, notice:

Luk 24:13 And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
    Luk 24:14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
    Luk 24:15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
    Luk 24:16 But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
    Luk 24:17 And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
    Luk 24:18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?
    Luk 24:19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
    Luk 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
    Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
    Luk 24:22 Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
    Luk 24:23 And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
    Luk 24:24 And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
    Luk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
    Luk 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
    Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
    Luk 24:28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
    Luk 24:29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
    Luk 24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
    Luk 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
    Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
    Luk 24:33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,
    Luk 24:34 Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon.
    Luk 24:35 And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.
    Luk 24:36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
    Luk 24:37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
    Luk 24:38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
    Luk 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
    Luk 24:40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
    Luk 24:41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
    Luk 24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
    Luk 24:43 And he took it, and did eat before them.
    Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
    Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
    Luk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
    Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
    Luk 24:48 And ye are witnesses of these things.
    Luk 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

This is briefly covered in Mark's acccount:

Mar 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
    Mar 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Mar 16:12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
    Mar 16:13 And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.

Mar 16:14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

Now the context of John:

It starts as the "first [day] of the week", in koine Greek, reading, "τη δε μια των σαββατων" (this is an idiom, referring to several things, more on this in a moment), and thus we see early morning before sunrise:

Joh 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Yet, many events transpire from that moment, wearing away the day:

Joh 20:2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
    Joh 20:3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.
    Joh 20:4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
    Joh 20:5 And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
    Joh 20:6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
    Joh 20:7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
    Joh 20:8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
    Joh 20:9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.
    Joh 20:10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.
    Joh 20:11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
    Joh 20:12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
    Joh 20:13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
    Joh 20:14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
    Joh 20:15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
    Joh 20:16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
    Joh 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
    Joh 20:18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

Then comes the events of John 20:19:

Joh 20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

This is a parallel to Luke's and Mark's account. Therefore, they must be read together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.