1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Come to a better understanding of this verse!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 2BHizown, Jun 12, 2006.

1. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

2. BD17

BD17 New Member

2biz... you know better than to show the free-willers where their err lies!!!
    Now they will just come back and say that exegesis is incorrect and try to disprove you with their own eisegesis of the same verse!!!

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Such a lengthy explanation for such a simple verse. That verse does not take that much explaining, and twisting. Read it. Comprehend it. Apply it. Simple.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Translation: Holds hands over ears and shouts "lalalalalalalalalalala I'm not listening!"

5. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

LOL, I love it! How true it is that some refuse to consider that their view could possibly need alteration! Closed, eyes, ears, mind set in concrete when God is available to open all to a true exegesis!

6. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Sovereignty

A big problem for many christians, myself included in years past, is that for them the sovereignty of God stops short of salvation. Believing God is sovereign is to believe He is totally sovereign in all things, including every facet of salvation!

7. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Personally, I have no problem with God's sovereignty in all things, including salvation....I just don't see the problem with believing a sovereign God in His sovereign will and purpose created a being called man with the ability to legitamately respond to Him. That we can respond to God does not negate any of His sovereignty. BTW---as I have stated before I am neither a calvinist nor an arminian. Both have verse that are difficult for them.

Bro Tony

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Be prepared for them to put their hands over their ears and go lalalalalalalalalalalal:rolleyes:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How true...so stop filtering Scripture through petals of a flower.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

whosoever will let him come and take of the water of life freely given by our Sovereign God who's love is the only one who can save us. Anyone else could give their body to be burned and would profit them nothing but God is Sovereign and by His love alone we can be saved.

11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

How much Calvinests and Mormons remind me of each other. Mormons will tell me in about 10 pages or 45 min. why "one God" does not really mean, only one God. And Calvinests will do the same thing with "whosoever, all and world".

And both will accuse me not listining to reason when I decide to just trust the clear meaning of scripture and not their lengthy interpetation of scripture.

12. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

The article

I take it then that all are in full agreement and understanding of the verse in question! Thanks be to God for understanding!

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, there does not seem to be any who have changed their minds at all. I was hoping to win some over but failed miserable.:tear:

14. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I read the entire article and here is the main point where he errs.

Notice the sentence in bold. I think most of us would agree with this point. God must draw fallen men to himself. Which is why John 12:32 is so significant to this discussion: "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself."

It appears that God has done just that. God is drawing all peoples to himself! By what means? The WORD! The powerful gospel message spread by the very BRIDE OF CHRIST throughout the entire world.

What Calvinists fail to understand is that when Christ was on earth (prior to being lifted up) He didn't want to draw all men to himself. In fact, it was quite the opposite. Jesus hid the secrets of the kingdom in parables so that people would not understand and repent. (Mk 4) Israel was being hardened, otherwise they might have seen, heard, understood and repented (Acts 28:21-28; John 12:39-41).

Why didn't Christ want to draw all men? If the Jews had believed then who would have crucified Christ? God had to seal them in their state of rebellion (hardening) so that they would not see, hear, understand and believe. This hardening was temporary (Rm 11:26) and was actually meant to provoke the Jews to salvation (Rm 11:14). God was showing mercy even in hardening men (Rm. 11:32).

The first point of the 5 points of Calvinism, Total Depravity, is the key point of contention in this huge debate throughout history. It must be established through scripture that men's condition is so depraved that not even the powerful word of God is sufficient to draw men to faith. I believe that is impossible considering that scripture says so much about the power of the word. Faith comes by hearing the word of Christ. Christ calls his words "spirit and life." The word is a double edged sword that cut through bone and into the heart. Yet, there is the assumption that the word is not sufficient to draw anyone who hears it? Why is that?

#14 Skandelon, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  15. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

He who defines the terms wins the debate.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The writer of this article loses credibility for me because he says this near the beginning (the caps are his):
    The fact he would consider anyone disagreeing with him on this as holding false doctrine is a very serious charge. It shows that he is making dividing lines that shouldn't exist among believers in the body of Christ and I consider that to be unbiblical. Therefore, I have no respect for what he says.

17. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Accuracy of interpretation of God's sovereignty.

I admit that man makes errors at times in interpreting so lets consider a few scriptures that validate God's sovereign control of man and events, including salvation!

The preparations of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. Prov. 16:1

"For truly against Your holy Servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose determined before to be done." Acts 4:27-28

"This man [Christ], delivered up by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death" Acts 2:23

Eli's sons come to mind: "did not heed the voice of their father, because the Lord desired to kill them"(1 Sam 2:25)

18. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

How true! I know that Calvinism is possibly the worse false heresy to find its way into church doctrine. I would rather attend a Jehovah's Witness kingdom hall than a reformed baptist church!

19. Rex77

Rex77 Member

This debate reminds me of that old saying.

When the plain sense of scripture makes sense, seek no other sense.

20. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Of course God doesn't love everybody.

Psalm 5:5 clearly states:

"The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers [notice it does not say 'works' but 'workers'] of iniquity."