1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common Ground Coffee House #114

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Our brother in law has been staying with us for a little while, helping out in the house and garden. I am making banana pudding as he has never tried it before :thumbs:

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Good morning! It's so nice and cool outside. It's wonderful!
    Breakfast was oatmeal and bacon and coffee. There's this half and half coffee my husband bought. It's half decaf. We're working towards total decaf. Actually I did no caffeine for a couple years and it doesn't bother me, but I don't think he's ever gone without it for a loooonnnng time. He's putting forth an impressive effort!

We still have leftover birthday cake. Our birthdays now cover September, December (two there), January, February, March, and May. Hrm. Think we'll be sick of cake by June? :tongue3:

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Can you ever have too much cake? LOL!

We're preparing for winter here. The gardens are being plowed under and the quince picked and canned.

I'm homeschooling a gaggle on youngin's. So far so good. But with everything that life throws my way, I'm so tired all the time. In fact, I'm thinking about taking up coffee drinking.

Tonight for supper, chicken and dumplin's.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Mmmmm. I've never tried to make chicken and dumplings, but I'll have to look up the recipe and give it a shot! I have a feeling my bunch will really enjoy it.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO tired! I went to work yesterday at my usual 9AM but didn't get home until almost midnight! We had a concert at the church for Youth for Christ and so we were busy all day. It was a lot of fun though. This morning I needed to be back out for a 9AM sign language class and I got home a few minutes ago. I was going to go to a football game between my daughter's school and her boyfriend's school (her boyfriend is a football player) but she's not feeling well so I'll use this time instead to recapture my home. It's a disaster yet again. LOL But I think I'll make a large pot of coffee first. LOL

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Is anyone else battling a head cold? UGH! I feel like a zombie.

Anyone want to bring me some chicken soup?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Awww - I'd bring you some soup if I could!

So far it's just allergies around here. Bad allergies.

Additionally, we're dealing with a foot injury. Apparently my husband hates his feet because he's trashed another one. He had fallen off the roof 5 years ago and it was 5 months of surgery, crutches and healing before he could walk again. This time he was running on the boat to grab the mooring line and he caught his baby toe on a piece of metal. He called me while I was riding and said "I need you. I hurt my toe and there's stuff hanging out. I don't know what it is - please come." so I did. "Umm - honey, that's bone!" I told him. Off to the hospital we went. Thank God that our good friend is an orthopedic surgeon and was there at the hospital visiting another patient (I called him at home and had left a message). He did the surgery within an hour of getting in the ER and DH was in his room within 5 hours of walking in the door. Not too bad for a night in the ER with a full moon! He stayed in the hospital for 24 hours to get IV antibiotics and came home last night. We're back to the bag on the foot for the shower, me carrying everything for him, crutches, etc. Hopefully this will be way less than 5 months though! He gets the gazillion stitches out at the end of next week and then we'll see where we go from there. Life is never dull around here! LOL

8. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Morning Everybody,

We are so happy... WE CLOSED ON A HOUSE YESTERDAY!!!!!

We found a 4-bedroom farmhouse with a large kitchen on 5-acres. This will be big enough for everybody. My MIL will be moving in with us to bring the total of people in the house to 7.

I have to admit I was awful anxious about this after what happened the last time we thought we'd found a house [the financing fell through the day before we were supposed to close], but everything fell into place easily.

Now comes the fun of packing and sorting stuff we've accumulated in over 30-years, and going through what my MIL has to see what we're going to take to the new house and what we'll put in storage.

We have some minor work to do before we can move in, but that's no problem.

Hebrews 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Moving is such a bear but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! That's so wonderful and I pray that this house will be such a blessing to you and your family. God had the house - you just had to wait for the right timing I guess. Wow - 5 acres. Ya getting a rider mower/tractor?? :)

10. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yup, it was all in God's hands, we just had to wait until His timing was right.

My Brother has a riding mower that he isn't using anymore, so that'll be a big help; and my SIL works for a lawn service so he's used to doing jobs like this.

The shock is slowly wearing off...that we have the house and nothing went wrong.

Moving can be a bear, but we're so happy to finally be doing it that it doesn't seem to matter. :thumbsup:

11. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Congrats on the house!!!

I'm beginning to feel better----just in time for the kiddos to come down with it. Sigh.

Today I'm making meatloaf and roast potatoes. YUM!!!

As an aside, I made lasagna the other day for the little church in our village (they had never heard of it until they asked me what kinds of foods I like to eat). It was such a hit that the Pastor's wife went to the center store and asked for lasagna noodles. The cashier looked at her funny and said, "What kind of noodles?" She explained a lasagna noodle to her. Then the cashier said she was sure they wouldn't carry them because they would be an expensive import item. ROFL!

So I told the Pastor's wife that the next time I am in town, I'll pick up some lasagna noodles for her. She really wants to try to make it herself. She's nearly 70 and has just now tasted the wonderfulness (I make up my own words. HEEHEE) of lasagna! She's going to ruin it with meat, though. If there is one thing these people like, it's meat----all kinds and LOTS of it.

So if any of you are in my area today, stop by. We'll chew the fat and heft the jug together (in the words of Granny Moses).

12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Congrats on the house Cuz! Happy moving! :laugh:

Spinach, I don't have a head cold but my allergies are killing me!

Blessed Sunday Everyone!

The first grading period of the school year is over for my high schoolers. Cass did fine. Chris pulled it out at the end and will pass all his classes (barely :rolleyes: ). Cade needs your prayers though he at least did well on his Algebra exam. I keep hearing one of the kids elementary principals saying "a D is passing", I never thought I would repeat it! :eek:

Tomorrow begins the second grading period. I have told them that if they didn't have at least B's by allowance time they wouldn't be getting one! That one gets them every time!

Ya'll have a good week!

13. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I painted the family room woodstove today. It desparately needed it, but I just can't get it to look right. The spray kind left it looking patchy so I went and bought the liquid that everyone else uses. Guess what? Still patchy. I don't know if you can get black to look perfect. The more I tried to fill in the low patches, the more patchy it looked. I finished off the paint and called it good. It does look better than before I did it, but it's not how I want it (story of my life, to be honest----that's what I get for being a procrastinating perfectionist). Maybe when we use it the first time since the paint job, it will cure everything to a nice, even shade. One can hope, right?

Got a Hallmark card from a Preacher's wife today. Did my heart good! She was thanking me for a handmade head scarf I sent her, made by one of our widows here. She just loved it. Her words touched my heart so! I'm thankful for that small drink of water.

The electricity in the house was crazy today (brown-out), so we didn't do homeschool. I think I will surprise the kids with evening classes, though. HA! This could be more fun than chores.

Have a good day, Everyone!

#493 Spinach, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Painting ANYTHING sounds like fun!

I had another dental visit today. What can usually be done in one or two visits takes me between 3 and 5 because of my TMJ issue. It's become bad enough that my jaw is in danger of locking if they do more than one at a time, and the crown one has had five different visits so far if I counted right! And still no crown on it...I had THREE cavities! THREE! STINKIE BLAH!

I'm still trying out how to do a healthy vegetarian diet for my oldest. I had it down before, but this is a new state and they don't have the normal stuff. Organic or more than the most basic of fresh, natural, simple food seems to be associated with being a liberal out here and is shunned. LOL

15. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Morning Everybody,

It took all weekend, but we're finally all moved in to the new house. I never realized how much junk, er I mean treasures, we'd accumulated in over 30 years. All the heavy furniture is moved in, and we're slowly going through boxes of the smaller stuff.

I brought in BLTs and Tomato Soup if anybody is hungry. Enjoy.

Time to get back to sorting boxes.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's wonderful FoG! I pray that God blesses you and your family tremendously in this new home.

Well, I just got done changing a tire, finding out the spare is flat too and bringing them to the shop to get fixed. I am woman - hear me change a tire while my gimpy husband stands over me! LOL He can't get on the ground to do it with his bad foot.

Oh - he got his stitches out today and he's doing well but the toe still needs to form more scar tissue to hold the tiny bone at the end in place. So he's still on crutches and not walking on his foot. A week from Wednesday they'll re-x-ray the foot and we'll see where he "stands" then. Tee-hee.

17. Spinach

Spinach New Member

After being without an indoor bathroom for a week (remodeling), I am happy to say that our bathroom is once again operational. YAY!

I'll be glad to get my house in order again. We've been doing so much with the necessary repairs, but it sure turns everything upside down to get it done. This place is disheveled (sp?) and DUSTY! Everything should be finished by evening and I can put everything back in order, remove all dust covers, and WASH everything in sight! Then I'm going to take pictures and email them to Mom.

Have a good weekend, y'all!

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yay for indoor plumbing! Spinach, when I was very young my family was very poor. We moved into a trailer that had no running water, so we had to take our baths in a creek for a while. I was always afraid I'd get pinched by a crab! I still enjoy and appreciate inordinately long showers and baths. LOL

Life is not all that exciting. We got all the kids to the dentist last Saturday and some were cavity free, one got his work finished, and two others need work done.

I went from college to high school...maybe I can help fix these people before they get INTO college and can't construct a proper sentence or read a paragraph. Friday was my first day, so we'll see how it goes and if I can physically keep up with it. I've got surgery on my thyroid coming up soon and I'm curious to see if that improves how I feel.

Are there any homeschooling families left on the board? There used to be a ton of us, but so many have quit for various reasons. I've been thinking about restarting it for Miss Smarty Pants. She went from home to private school until we started her in public school last semester, but she's still bored. BRAT! lol

19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I'm still homeschooling Gina, though I went from homeschooling an 8th grader to homeschooling a 6th grader! And can I just say how much easier it is to hs a girl than it was the boy who doesn't/won't read? She is flying through everything but math, but to be honest, she's doing 7th grade math and I didn't expect her fly through that. lol

Blessed Sunday Everyone!

20. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I'm homeschooling a whole BUNCH of kids. And they're all mine. LOL! I'm not a great teacher, but because it is my responsibility I do it.

The bathroom is finished and so is the wood stove area. So now we're functioning indoors and with heat! YAY!

Started the C25K program this morning. Hope I stick with it!

Have a good day, y'all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.