1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured concealed carry classes

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, most of the 45ACP-Only blowhards are trying to compensate for not being able to hit what they're aiming at.

:Roflmao

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My opinion only. Shield. It may not seem like it in the store, but carry it a bit and the difference is notable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the advice. The Shield option is better mainly b/c it is CHEAPER. But let me probe this a bit further.

Is the thinner frame worth it for IWB carrying in order to give up a much larger capacity? Is the wider frame of the M&Pc that uncomfortable for IWB carrying, even w/ a great holster?

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only you can answer the comfort question. Having a friend or good gunshop who can let you try on a few pieces would be best. I'm in central NC if you want to swing by.:D

Capacity is a similar issue, like life insurance. Only you can decide how much to carry. I'm happy with a single stack and a reload, but would never criticize someone carrying a double stack with a New York reload.

My choices are based off of my behavior and assessment of risk. I know I'll grab my thin pistol every time, as it doesn't interfere with my lifestyle. Your mileage may vary.:)

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob makes a good point. What is good for you may not be good for me. I carry a full size SIG, single stack, with 8+1 9mm +P JHP in an Alien Gear IWB holster. I never leave the house without it, and it is so comfortable I often forget I am wearing it.

(I prefer the SIG because it is all metal. I am an old guy and a polymer (plastic) pistol just does not compute with me. Not to mention it was also my service pistol while still an active LEO.)

I went through a lot of holsters before finding the right combination. I would suggest finding a buddy who has guns and holsters and borrow his and wear them for a while to see what is most comfortable for you. That will save you a lot of money. But such friends are hard to find. If you ever find yourself in the far, far south of Texas, right on the Rio Grande, stop in. I'll loan you a holster or two. :)

concealed-carry-holster_515_1_3_1_1048.jpg P225.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am set on holsters. I love the N82 tactical holsters (made in Lexington, NC, Rob_BW).

Right now, I carry a Ruger LCP. But I want that to go to my wife for obvious reasons. I'm not ashamed to say I sometimes feel ashamed of carrying it. The thing is so tiny. But it'll get the job done. However, I'm ready for an upgrade. Since my dad, a 30+ year police vet, swears by S&W, I thought I would go the M&P route.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

• Like Like x 2
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo.

[​IMG]

North American Arms .22 magnum mini-revolver

North American Arms .22 mini-revolver

Swiss Army Champ

The mag goes every where I go in my front pants pocket; no holster required.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My unasked-for opinion: pretty much what everyone has said is very good advice. The only thing I would add is, remember that this is NOT a quick-draw shoot-out. The biggest piece missing from concealed carry courses--unless you happen to be lucky and are attending a really good one--is scenario training. If you can find a place that offers a Firearms Training Simulator (FATS), that would be best; otherwise, just remember to find cover while drawing your weapon, and aim. Unless you've done extensive instinctive shooting training, like TCassidy and a few others probably have (not me), or you spend a LOT of time practicing drawing ypur weapon and shooting, then expect your first shots to go wild. It really doesn't matter how many times you've fired at a paper target; when it's an actual person, who's also shooting a weapon, there will be an adrenaline surge you didn't have shooting at paper targets. The person who justs starts blasting could fire up to a dozen shots, while his/her opponent may only fire one and end the battle.

I have an XD-S in .45, simply because I personally prefer .45. I would suggest 9mm hollowpoint, for pretty much the same reasons already presented.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm planning on getting an LCR for my wife, simply because after her carpal tunnel surgery, she doesn't have the wrist strength to pull the slide.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Little Cute Pistol. *laugh*

Actually, the LCP makes a good pocket gun.

12. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard the C in LCP stand for something else... um... feminine... ahem. You know.

13. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what it is worth, I bought the M&P 9mm Compact rather than the Shield. I found one for an amazing price, and I couldn't resist. Now I just need to get the holster for it.

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been carrying for over 50 years and these are the best holsters I have ever found. I now use them exclusively.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/s-w-m-p9c-compact-3-5-inch-barrel.html

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW......how far we have come with this. Cabela's has a little S&W .380 Automatic with 6+1capacity(very small) I was going to get for my wife. Then I was thinking that it would be a light pistol to have for my own (with hollow points). Or maybe I will get a Ruger .45 Auto.....my brother likes the Glock though. decisions decisions!

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many rounds? Trigger pull must be interesting!

17. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Single action, 5 shot, pocket pistols. Convenient to carry is their strong point.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    my wife cold put that right in her purse!

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Worst place possible for a woman to carry a handgun. The first thing a criminal grabs is a woman's purse. She is not only left without a means of self-protection, she has given the criminal a deadly means to continue his crime spree, and possibly get some innocent person killed.

If a woman is going to carry a sidearm she should find a good holster and learn to carry on her body.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The first thing a criminal grabs is a woman's purse." In all my life I have never known anyone who has had their purse taken from them. While I know it happens I doubt it is all that common.