Confess and Believe

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, May 12, 2019.

1. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would require an ability to do so. :Laugh

2. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just read the verse as translated by professional Bible translators.

[ESV] because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

[KJV] That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

[NIV] If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

[NASB] that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Still, your rearrangement of the verse and addition of words is OK because it does not show that belief is the result of salvation.

Also, I noticed that no one has addressed the six verses I provided that shows we are saved because we believe. We don't believe because we are saved.

3. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I meant to say is that man is corrupt. In fact man's flesh is still corrupt even after Salvation. Adam's sin is not inherited by man. We are not guilty of his sin. Yes we all die because we were not born with eternal life, neither was Adam created with it. All men are totally unrighteous before Salvation and there is nothing in scripture that says because of Adam's sin we all have this inability to respond to the gospel or seek God.
    MB.

4. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It goes back to my post. You think God saved you because you chose to believe. So you read the bible that way.

6. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I read the Bible for what it says. The verses I quoted are all basically If-Then statements. IF you believe, THEN you are saved. You're flipping it over backwards and trying to make it read IF you are saved, THEN you believe. The Bible clearly doesn't say it the way you want it to say it.

7. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You read "Characteristics" of the saved as "Conditions" the unsaved must meet to be saved.

8. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saved because of what Jesus did. I believe because I heard the gospel. Once I believed then I was saved as a required by God response to His free offer of salvation.

9. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

10. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But if faith is a condition for salvation, the gospel becomes law and grace becomes works.

11. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God decided who He would save. That is those who would believe. The only condition for salvation is the finished work of the cross. Do not conflate mans' choice to believe with God's choice to save. The merit for our salvation belongs to God alone regardless of what response God requires of man prior to salvation.

12. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So spiritual death, and an inability....cannot understand, cannot come...say nothing about the effects of the fall?:Cautious:Cautious:Cautious:Cautious:confused:

13. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But this version makes man the savior in the end based on his response.

14. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't apply. We weren't talking about the Doctrines of Grace. Just your language abilities.

15. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The flesh cannot live with out the spirit. So the spirit cannot be dead if we are still alive. Paul speaks metaphorically about his spirit being dead. There is no regeneration with out faith first. Man is able to understand the gospel message and come to faith and believe. I did ,so can you and everyone else.

Calvinist call me an easy believer when it is the Calvinist who claim they don't even have to believe. Believing is not a work.
    Let me ask you this. If God just saves us with out faith then why your concern that I do not accept your doctrine as truth/
    MB

16. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you believe you are saved with out faith then why your concern when you meet others who do not accept your point of view?
    MB

17. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of them claim Belief comes after Salvation. By the way I am not a Liar.
    MB

18. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't. The only one with grace is God. No matter where you go there is a path we must follow. Which is why Christ told us to pick up our cross and follow Him. We can't follow Christ with out taking the same path He took. He took the path to please the Father. What makes you think it's any different for you?
    MB

19. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the rebuttal has been posted ad infinitum and ad nauseam!

Romans 3:11 There is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God;

Here the idea that this condition applies to the lost at all times is added to the text to supply the support for total spiritual inability. However, if this condition applies when a person is sinning, and is quoted to demonstrate we all sin, then the verse (and passage) does not support the mistaken doctrine.

Romans 8:7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,

Here the idea that this condition applies to the lost at all times is added to the text to supply the support for total spiritual inability. However, if this condition applies when a person has his mind set on fleshly desires, then when a lost person sets his mind on some spiritual things, they would then not be hostile toward God, but rather open and receptive to God. This capacity is demonstrated by Matthew 23:13 where lost men are in the process of entering the kingdom.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

Here the idea that this condition applies to all of the things of the Spirit of God is added to the text to supply the support for total spiritual inability. However, if the condition applies to only some of the things of the Spirit, the solid food which must be spiritually appraised, then the spiritual milk (1 Corinthians 3:1) can be understood by “men of flesh.”

Ephesians 2:1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,

Here the idea that this condition (spiritually dead, separated from God) results in total spiritual inability is added by the redefinition of dead. However, if in this condition, the spiritually dead have the ability to understand the milk of the gospel (as taught by 1 Corinthians 3:1) then this verse provides no support.

Colossians 2:13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions,

Here the idea is that this “(being spiritually dead ) condition results in total spiritual inability is simply repeating the redefinition of “spiritually dead” to include “total spiritual inability. . However, if in this condition, the spiritually dead have the ability to understand the milk of the gospel (as taught by 1 Corinthians 3:1) then this verse provides no support.

20. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you've said here, describes what I believe you do. You actually see things in scripture that aren't there. Adam did not fall because he wasn't on a pedestal to begin with.. He sinned true. But we did not inherit his sin nor did we commit sin with him. The fall of Adam a Calvinist invention. The inability of man another invention of Calvinism. Spiritual death is yet another since the spirit bad or good lives forever in Heaven or hell. All of the tulip was invented and none of it is in scripture.
    MB