1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coronavirus Pandemic

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Hobie, Feb 25, 2020.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    agreed of course :)

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    in spite of our preterite brethren and naysayers i believe we are the generation which will see HIM COMING IN GLORY. though some of us may die a natural death beforehand.

As HE approaches the outer atmosphere we will be caught up together with him in the clouds.
    dont know where we will go from there but i believe we may assist HIM in that tribulation/great tribulation coming upon the earth.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does not mean the corona virus is more deadly. How dishonest to go by percentages when the numbers that make up.those percentages are far far from being equal. The number of people with the flu is so much higher it is irresponsible to make such a comparison.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my research i have found that 80% of those who get the coronavirus hardly know they are sick it is so mild.

Even those who are sick enough to be bedridden and need help so far it seems 2% die, they are mostly elderly and often have a pre-exsistant condition and/or a weak immune system.

problem - the Chinese officials in Wuhan seem to be deceptive in reporting the local statistics.

but the biggest problem is that the virus is communicable while asymptomatic.

5. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is like the flu. That is all it is. Not everyone who gets infected gets sick, absolutely. Flu also kills tens of thousands in the US every year. So this new flu is slightly deadlier, and mostly to the same people susceptible to conventional flu. It has some big scaremongering media events creating much drama stirring up people, which does not happen for the flu deaths every year. Since this is a new illness, people are easily frightened until it becomes more normalized, eventually the media will get tired of the story.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    dejavu Ebola

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Coronavirus has the potential to kill several million.

Preliminary statistics show it is about 20x deadlier. That's quite significant.

I agree that there are some who are scaremongering, but there's a crisis of leadership at the top, where we are being told contradictory things by the CDC and the administration officials. It does not build confidence when the President quotes vastly lower numbers than what appears on the CDC website, and laments a "woman" dying in Washington state, when it was actually a man.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most of the people dieing in countries with good medical care already are sick with other diseases or are old. The older you get the more likely you will die, it is just a fact about this natural life. Modern medicine has artificially extended the life of the aged and infirm. And that obviously makes these situations worse.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well here we go again - whenever a juicy opportunity arises to calumniate the president and spew hateful venom AND distort the news OUT COME THE GLOBALIST.

Proverbs 4:16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

why not obey the scripture and pray for both him and our nation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lets keep to facts rather than politicizing everything...we can see its a bit more than the flu..

"Early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak, have been around 2 percent. But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published on Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4 percent."...https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.html

"The case fatality rate — the percentage of known infected people who die — is between 2% and 4% in Hubei province, and 0.7% in other parts of China, he said."...https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/25/new-data-from-china-buttress-fears-about-high-coronavirus-fatality-rate-who-expert-says/

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  12. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My view:

I was more concerned about the Ebola virus spreading with its high mortality rate than this Coronavirus and been wondering why people seem more worried about this time, but attributed much of it to media hype trying politicize it and implicate the President in neglect. Which is a part of it and therein is a lot of irresponsibility.

But I also felt like I might be missing something about the severity so I checked out some facts:

The death rate from influenza and pneumonia ranges across the U.S. from 9.2 (Florida) to 29.6 (Hawaii) per 100,000 cases.

The Coronavirus death rate seems to range at 2% or higher which would be 2,000 or more (maybe much more depending on the population) per 100,000 cases. That is quite a jump in number of deaths.

The Coronavirus aggressively goes right for the respiratory system and anyone with breathing problems and a compromised immune system is at rather high risk.

Along with a much higher death rate I believe that the rate of spread is more aggressive and it is often asymptomatic so it can be being spread without notice. In a comparison, Ebola although more fatal did not spread so easily.

Therefore, I'd say if this disease doesn’t die back with the coming warmer weather and/or a vaccine is not in in place by next winter there is going to be a lot of people die from this.

Not the "end of the world" but definitely reason to be concerned!

All that said, it is childish and dishonest to try to blame the President for this event.

14. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya, mortality rates with any viral diseases are hard to peg, many have only a mild case and never go to a doctor. Some don't even know they have the flu.

Ebola was scarier IMO - this thing is more like SARS a few years back, which was another coronavirus. I think 19 is just scary because it's from Asia and it's new and the Chinese government is being duplicitous AGAIN. Pretty sure it's apolitical, the CDC is the one that told Trump it was a woman that died:

Coronavirus death in USA: Washington state man dies

think the markets will get over their jitters soon, will still take precautions like avoiding airports and other crowded places as much as possible, wash hands frequently, drink lots of fluids, blah blah blah.

15. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Benjamin Fulford: Weekly Geo-Political News and Analysis

I visit this site maybe once a week, not even sure how I came by it. Take what you will. Interesting read today about the virus du jour. There has been this type of health threat put out in almost all of the election cycles in recent history. Coincidence? Or an attempt to control the narrative?

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This has about 2 % death rate, what was Ebola, around 90 %?

17. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmm. they are closing schools in NYC where I just came back from....

"We are writing to inform you that there is a suspected case of coronavirus in our community," the school wrote in an email signed by the principal of SAR, Rabbi Binyamin Krauss. "We are in touch with the New York City Department of Health and are following their guidelines."

The co-educational school, which describes itself as "modern Orthodox," informed parents that as of Tuesday, the closure was only for "precautionary" reasons and that parents should "remain calm."

Westchester County Health Commissioner Dr. Sherlita Amler directed the Young Israel of New Rochelle to halt all services on Tuesday until further notice due to the possibility of COVID-19 exposure connected to the man who tested positive today. Congregants who were at services at the synagogue on February 22 or at a funeral and bat mitzvah at the synagogue on February 23 must quarantine themselves until March 8 at the very earliest...

Governor Andrew Cuomo said at a news conference on Tuesday that a man who lives in the New York suburb and works in Manhattan tested positive for the novel coronavirus, adding that the 50-year-old man had an underlying respiratory illness and is hospitalized. He added that the patient had not traveled to countries considered to be major locations of the outbreak, but had visited Miami recently."... Jewish man confirmed as 2nd NY coronavirus case, day schools closed

18. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  19. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For the vast majority of people who get covid-19, many have no symptoms or mild and they recover. The ones who are dying are old, sick, compromised with other medical problems for the most part. It really does not matter how many catch this 'flu', because you can not really stop colds and flu from spreading, although you can try. Problem is lots of healthy people will catch it and never know they have it or be so mild they think it is just a cold, and they will be spreading it to other people.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw a Dr today on Fox news who stated that best guess would be only 1-2 % of "healthy" persons who catch it will pass, contrast that with say ebola, which has 90 % death rate believe!