1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cruz not the first; Hart-Rice affair sunk his run for president!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

...then his name rhymes with "Spill Blinton".

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then, can I assume you have not voted for a major party candidate for POTUS except for this one occasion? And can I assume there hasn't been a candidate since WJB you theoretically would have voted for?

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the earliest problems with Obama was his membership in a cultic church in Chicago, specifically a church that preached black liberation theology.

As for Cruz, we have had a mixed record with Southern Baptist Presidents: Truman, Carter, and Clinton. Although in the case of Cruz, we know that the National Enquirer is owned by a close friend of Donald Trump so that it appears that the allegations are from Trump in a case of a rich man using money to smear a man up from poverty, an old story.

I may be wrong but I think that Evangelical and Fundamentalist influence has waned in America in the last twenty years. New England Puritan Cotton Mather said of America: Religion begat prosperity and the daughter devoured the mother.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I have no delusions that folks who show no love for Christ or others will be positive for the country.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Pretty much?" You mean you "kinda" never voted for a major party candidate other than Bush? Did you or didn't you?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If you can name one who has shown himself to love Jesus and his neighbors, you've got your answer.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using your criteria, I can assume you would only have voted for Carter in Carter v Ford. Otherwise, you wouldn't have voted for any major party candidate. Carter\Ford was the first presidential election I was eligible to vote in. Though, I was old enough to track Nixon\McGovern.

Your criteria gives us a great gap between WJB and Carter.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you voted for Reagan.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I wasn't old enough to vote back then. 1st grade. Carter would have possibly have met my first two requirements. He would not have met the third(3. Okay with killing unborn babies or killing adults). Carter seemed to straddle the fence back then. So using my today criteria, I wouldn't have voted for him either.

I just believe that a Christian's criteria for who should be placed in positions of leadership is going to be one of those things that generally goes against the grain of who "the world" thinks is qualified. And I have to be able, again, to stand before God and say I trusted YOU and your way and not some man just because I wanted someone to win an election.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nope. He, in my opinion, if I could have voted, didn't appear to meet requirement number 2 or 3, so certain actions would have called the truth of #1 into question.

I think most folks who call themselves Christians seem to have a problem consistently demonstrating their love for their neighbors. And though I wouldn't have voted for him either, that does seem to be one area,IMO, that President Obama seems to have exampled a bit better than some of the more recent Presidents.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin Coolidge, our 30th President was a Christian of a Congregationalist background.

John Anderson, who ran for President in 1980 as an Independent in 1980, is a Christian. He's with the Evangelical Free Church. Born in 1922, he's still alive.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'm sure there probably would have been a lot better pool of folks to write-in back then too. And they tended to be a bit more Biblically conservative. And THAT is the type of conservatism that I look for in candidates. I want to know that they agree with God.