1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Darby = Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, May 11, 2015.

1. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'll probably never know this side of heaven :)

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

At my age the LORD could take me out at any time, but then HE could any of us. But like the Apostle Paul I will keep up the good fight!

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure what you mean Rev.

So many dispensationalists responded so well to OR they are probably strengthened in their position or even adopted the dispensational point of view from a neutral position is what I meant.

HankD

4. OldRegular

Actually I believe blessedwife318 is swinging the correct way!

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, maybe.

The Early Church Fathers knew of the Rapture by the its Latin name (Rapto, rapturo) in 1 Thessalonians 4:17, the Tribulation (aka Jacob's Trouble), and the Millennium (aka the Chiliad but I don't recall ever reading about all three in a singular document.

Lewis Sperry Chafer formalized the concept in the 1940's in his 8 Volume Systematic Theology out of Dallas Theological Seminary.

HankD

6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it is a "formalized media presentation" that marks the beginning of a Doctrine, is that what you are saying?

God bless.

7. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Yes, youth is no guarantee of longevity.

You and I have had some differences, but I hope you have some good years left. :)

And I hope I do, too.

8. OldRegular

I have found that regardless of what comes if we focus on the good the bad fades away!

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did link to your many contradictory posts. Why are you falsely claiming that I didn't?

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

to distract the thread and you from the truth as you see it being discussed.

11. OldRegular

I don't see any links provided. You only showed the quotes!

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The links are in the quotes.

God bless.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well its a set of 7 volumes of theology books and 1 index book if that is what you mean by "media", then yes that it what I am saying.
    I can't say for sure it was the fist definitive work on dispensationalism but it could be. I don't know for sure.

You seem surprised, if so, why?

Thanks
    HankD

14. OldRegular

And Chafer insisted that the Church was an intercalation in GOD's program for national/ethnic Israel!

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes OR, we know. what is the iteration of that statement?

About 1001?

Just messin' with you.

HankD

16. OldRegular

Actually only 999 but hang around. Two more won't take long!:tongue3:

17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought that might be the case.

So seeing that is the case...then we know when the Doctrine began: when it was first published, which would be the First Century writings of the Bible Writers.

Yes or no?

You can say it was not.

Dispensationalists do not have the honor of originating Scripture, only compiling their views into a logical (at least they hope) framework designed to reconcile inconsistencies that have arisen through history, all of which were the result of the exact same thing.

No surprise, really, just trying to ask questions that lead to a general agreement. I think regardless of whether we agree about anything else, what we can agree on is that we know when Scripture originated, and that any doctrine must stand the test of Scripture.

When the focus, as you have done, as well as the OPs incessant reiteration of his view, becomes the works of men instead of the Scriptures themselves, something is lost.

Everything that is recorded in Scripture is in harmony, and sound doctrine will be in harmony with Scripture. Doctrine arises from that Record, rather than trying to harmonize Scripture to a Theology System. And it is just my belief that this is what most people do.

God bless.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word "dispensation" as a theological term is a NT word. So yes.

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

The word is oikonomia Lidell Scott, UBS, Strong's : Mangement of a household

Not sure what your point is so I can only respond that what you say seems to be the case. It was for all the isms Trinitarianism (which we all support), calvinism, fundamentalism, dispensationalism...etc

Like calvinism for instance?

Yes, it is in harmony but sometimes that harmony is difficult to discern hard to be understood (or so says scripture itself).

HankD

#98 HankD, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which would make arguments that systematic theologies originated doctrine absurd.

Yes or no?

You seem to answer the point, so I'm assuming you did get it.

Many systems seem to have in view, not to simply understand Scripture, but to discredit other systems or groups.

That is something that is especially true in the Forums.

And when we apply that to the Doctrine of the Rapture, we can say that if any formalized media originated the Doctrine, it is that which was formalized in the Canon.

As far as popularity arising, well...even the blind dog finds the water-bowl every now and then.

No, it is the Dispensational View in the hot-seat in this thread, unless I am mistaken. At least in the post I responded to.

Calvinism fits the model as well, as does every System, Ism, sect, faith, group, or cult.

The OP does not have an obsession with Calvinism, but Darbyism. And his theme is that the Pre-Trib Rapture originated with Darby. If that is true, then we may as well say that the Trinity originated with Catholicism. Because they are the group which made this a dogmatic doctrine and first imposed it into a formalized setting.

Difficult, yes, but impossible? I don't think so.

It is a contradictory concept to view the Word of God as given to men that they might understand God and His will and then make Scripture something that no-one can come to dogmatic conclusions about which can then be supported by the Word of God itself.

It is not a mystery book requiring a magic decoder ring, but given to men for the express purpose of knowing the will of God.

While some things are kept hidden as revelation is progressive, ultimately all things will be made clear, and this through the same enlightening method God has always used...the Holy Spirit.

God bless.

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The link on "Canon" is an insert of the forum, I did not put it there. It is an advertisement.

God bless.