Death Penalty - Is it Biblical?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 10, 2022.

1. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many moons ago in San Diego I was majoring in Criminology Corrections and I was planning on going into law enforcement... I also remember at the time I was reading a book called The History Of Capital Punishment... During this time the teacher who was involved in law enforcement himself, gave us a test... I remember to this day one question on this test that I answered... He told us on this one question to think carefully on our answer, so I did... The question was... What would be a great deterrent against crime in San Diego?... My answer was put a GUILLOTINE in the city town square!:eek:... Later I was called into his office... He looked at me and shook his head and said really?... Brother Glen:)

2. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, public hanging is preferred over guillotine, let the kids watch em thrash twitch urinate and defalcate on themselves when they reach the end of the rope. If that doesn’t make a deterrent impression nothing will.

3. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean... that is one way to go about it lol

4. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that’s the point. Who decides what crimes warrant the DP? Some in BB would include pedophiles, rapists, kidnappers, drug dealers, abortion doctors, etc.

What is the clear standard from scripture for the DP?

peace to you

5. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope your are making a repulsive joke. It is shameful for a Christian make such an argument.

peace to you

6. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It served the purpose then, why not now?

7. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you’re so namby pamby that the reality of it repulses you, that’s your problem. But don’t worry, I won’t consider you any less a Christian because of it.

8. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You been watching way too much of HANG UM HIGH!... Brother Glen:Biggrin

Get down now!... Get your Clint on!

9. JesusFan Well-Known Member

Would see it reserved for those who choose to commit first degree murder as we define that as being, and no, would not have mothers who did abortion get executed

10. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea of children watching public hangings for the deterrent effect does repulse me.

I’ll take the namby pamby comment over traumatizing our children by exposing them to the horror of public executions every day of the week, my brother in Christ.

peace to you

11. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I have acknowledged scripture does give governments the authority of DP.

I just don’t believe Christians should support it.

peace to you

12. 5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the death penalty is biblical and moral. God also doesn't make the distinction between "degrees" of murder either, the reason I bring this up is the fact that I've seen a few murderers get 20 years, 2nd degree, but I suppose human life is pretty cheap nowadays, just go to a FB post talking about abortion.
    To put a murderer to death is to love one's neighbor. It punishes/brings justice to the offender, it gives the family of the victim justice, it sets a precedent to the rest of society that murder will be punished severely, and most importantly it glorifies God when we obey Him.

13. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reality of it is that it was done so for centuries for that very effect, deterrence. Deal with it, grasp it, accept it, cope with it. Don't consider yourself a better Christian than those who have dealt with the reality of it.

K. That's your prerogative. Stay, and keep your children at home away from the public hangings. I'll take mine to witness the public executions. They need to see it.

14. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless the prosecutor and/or LEO’s working the case are corrupt, which seems to happen at times.

peace to you

15. 5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not understanding your reply, could you elaborate a bit more?

16. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you need to move to a country with regular public hangings then.

Don’t want your kids to miss out do you?

peace to you

17. 5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree, the death penalty should take place in public for all to see, not behind a closed door. Everyone should witness the terrible fate of those who murder, rape, prey on children, etc. all of Israel was to take place in the stoning of an individual, and this was for a reason.

18. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the prosecutor and/or LEO’s are corrupt, leading to an innocent person’s conviction, then killing that innocent person isn’t expressing love for your neighbor, is it? Glorifying God? No, I don’t think so.

peace to you

19. 5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why God commanded death for a false witness. Like I said to you the other day (which you also disagreed with) the false witness should suffer the same consequences as the one being accused.
    If you think this is not loving your neighbor, then do you believe God was wrong to command it?

20. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus changed the requirement for implementing the DP under OT Law. Instead of two or three witnesses it is “the One without sin”. Only God is without sin. Only God should implement the DP. God does need our help to do that.

peace to you