1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Dinosaurs co exist with Man?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

strawman, and you know it.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It can be explained in the same way everything created came into existence in 6 days.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I guess you are saying that oil, coral reefs, and coal deposits were created in situ and not related to any natural process from the Flood. Is that correct?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Proof-texting at it's worst. Besides the Peter account (which does not mean he was being harsh, you have to read that into it) Jesus and Paul were talking to unbelievers.

5. quantumfaith

If you are truly and honestly interested in learning and knowing the techniques used by science to date, you can explore this link. If you are simply trying to "poke" me, not interested. Not saying you have to agree with ANYTHING, just offering it to you.

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/wiens.html

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I cannot say one way or the other. We don't know the full affects of a global flood...but it is clear that God built age into His creation.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Uh, Oil can be formed in as little as 36 weeks. Even secular Geologists agree that it can be done in just a couple thousand years...

"Economic accumulations of oil and natural gas can be generated in thousands of years in sedimentary [dried out mud layers] basins that have experienced hot fluid flow for similar durations.”"

Journal of The Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia , No. 24, 1996, pp. 6-12

There is no scientific reason oil and coal cannot be formed quickly...and a WHOLE LOT of reasons why the present coal deposits around the world could not have taken "millions of years."

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I disagree with your grouping methods. Jesus spoke to unbelievers, honest ones, gently. These were Pharisees, people who CLAIMED to follow the same religion as Jesus...yet they were in actuality false teachers.

The harshness is for false teachers...which is what Old Earth Teachers are.

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not at all. Your counter is a strawman, that is just muddying the waters, as false teachings always do. Take God at His Word.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I was wondering how they determine dates for anything past recorded history. If we begin to base our theology on what the world does then our theology becomes as flawed as their teaching. WE know from calenders and records that the earth is around 6000 years old, but how can we develop a true date with human thought process and know we are acurate.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'd have to include all animals and humans together and we still haven't used it all up. We've been using fossil fules for over a couple centuries. first it was coal and for the last 100 years or so, it's been more oil than anything else.
    LOL Here I am a man who isn't able to understand infinity and I'm trying to figure out how much oil we've already burned.
    MB

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A false teacher is an unbeliever. Are you calling out the salvation of those on this thread? You are aware of the posting rules?

13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No, a false teacher is not an unbeliever. A false teacher is someone who is teaching something opposed to clear Christian doctrine, as found in the Word of God, be they believer or no.

How dishonest of you to put words in my mouth.

14. quantumfaith

1. I am not basing my "theology" on science.
    2. No one that I know of in science as it pertains to dating the universe/earth etc. makes the claim of precision that I perceive you are hinting at.
    3. How do you know the calendars are correct? (just responding to you as you do to me)

Rev, I am not asking you to adopt any of thoughts, theories, interpretations that I believe, but I do ask, as I feel you have so far, deal with me with dignity and respect.

15. quantumfaith

Thank you WD, even though you and I too disagree on issues related to the creation events, we can agree to disagree cordially. I think you are correct, I do think that Havensdad is attempting to question my position as a believer in Christ. Even Augustine, the grandfather of reformational thought and theology in many respects had deep questions regarding the meaning of and how the early chapters of Genesis should be read.

16. quantumfaith

1 Peter 3:15 ESV

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

17. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

1. Then what do you base the age on it isn't scripture because we have no dates like that in scripture.

2. But to teach evolution and ages in science course in schools as fact is making that claim.

3. The Jewish Calender has us at 5771 and as you see I say approximately 6000 years because even the Jewish calender could be off several years but not billions of years.

18. quantumfaith

Rev,

There is practically an infinite storehouse of knowledge that the scriptural record spends no time explaining or elaborating on, does that mean it is not true, accurate or real? The revelation of scripture is intended to explain in essence the actions of God relative to mankind and why redemption is necessary and the how of that redemption.

I dont teach science, I teach mathematics. If I did teach science I would introduce evolution and such as it should be, a theory. Also, don't confuse "evolution" with naturalism. Naturalism certainly upholds evolutionary theory, however, it totally denies the existence or even the need for a creator (God).

#98 quantumfaith, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

...and very dishonest of you to re-post it.

Also, the board forbids calling someone an unbeliever...since when did the rules get changed to disallow doctrinal positions that exclude certain beliefs? If someone calls themselves a Baptist, but has Jehovah's Witness doctrine, am I then required to refrain from asserting the necessity of Christ's deity?

20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

My understanding on this is that the doctrines being addressed MUST be cardinal truths, that there is no dispute over...

far as I know, evolution, especially Theistic, does not rise to heresy in beliefs, not Biblical per say, not heretical!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.