1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God make other saceint life in the Cosmos? (other than human or angles)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then how small would the universe have to be in order for it not to be a big waste? I will assume the 'near-emptiness' of space, of the distances between stars and planets, is acceptable for your standards.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I am sorry brother, I don't understand what you are asking?
    [​IMG]

I have no standards to which the universe must abide.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't quite understand, brother, why you don't understand the question. You made the point of the universe being "such a big" universe for nobody to be 'home.' Adjectives such as "big" and "small" are relative-- but you must have some reference for the universe being too big to not have life [extraterrestrial; the point of all this], or your statement is without meaning. So give whatever relative reference of the universe being too big to not have such life. That's what the questions asks.... Just how big is that?

And, if you wish, answer it in terms of the number of particles therein, rather than the quantity of light years (or nanometers) across or circumventing, neverminding that that changes faster than what we could use to accurately measure it.

4. Magnetic Poles

Alcott, I am just not getting it here. How big is too big? I don't know. But I know it is so immense that I would be surprised if we were the only planet with life. Of course, none of us know the answer to the question of "are we alone", but I would expect there to be life elsewhere. I also doubt we will ever make contact.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay... there should be other life because "it's so big." How big? "Big enough to have other life." Hopefully a lot of other posters will remember this and remind you of it if you accuse them of non-sequitors.

6. Magnetic Poles

Remember, I am stating my opinion, not trying to make an argument for or against anything. Therefore you are mistaken. I didn't assert there IS life...just that I think there probably is. Just a simple opinion.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The vastness of space is not wasted because there might not be intelligent life - or even any life - out there, because this vastness reflects the infinite nature and limitless nature of God.

As man realizes more and more how vast space is, how there are countless stars, how there are galaxies we have not seen, numerous suns, planets spinning around, etc. it just shows us what an incredible and awesome Creator we have. For this purpose alone, the immensity of space and the countless heavenly bodies are well worth it!

The creation glorifies God, it does not need to have a practical purpose in being home for some kind of creaturely life.

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That would have been a fun read. To bad....

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are making the argument for the position that the universe is so 'big' that it's "improbable the earth is the only place for harboring life," even if you get tongue-tied when asked how big or small a universe must be to make that suppostion. And if that's an opinion, what argument ain't?

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you believe in the Economy of God. Can you then suppose in his economy that nothing is wasted. And if you have a universe of the size we are part of can you assertain that because of God's nature with regard to his economy that he would not waste space. Since, we determine that the universe in its size with the economy of God provide a significant purpose to design which other life may be a part.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are starting with the presupposition that space is wasted if it does not contain life other than human life.

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    are you contending that space is filled with human life other than on earth?

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's not wasted if it reflects and glorifies God.

Don't you think that scientists who see this vast space and yet deny God will be questioned by God one day: How could you see all that space and all those heavenly bodies and still think there is no Creator of it?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, I'm contending that regardless of whether there is any life besides our planet, the lack of life does not mean that "space is wasted".

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Possibly if you believe God is a narcisist. I'm not saying necissarily that there is sacient live in the cosmos. I'm making a statement supporting Magnetic Poles statement with wasted space.

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What function does all that space serve?

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether that, and the rest of your post, is meant as a question or an answer, it is meaningless. What does "wasting space" mean? We have sent probes to Mars and Venus, and they are barren terra firma; no life process, but there are physical processes-- wind, duststorms, seismic activity, gases compressed or evaporating. Is that "wasted" or not?

Furthermore, what is this "God's economy?" If he can speak the worlds into existence, then what economy? In with his word; out with his word. We have an economy; he doesn't.

#57 Alcott, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You and I disagree with that point. God does have an economy.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Merriam-Webster says "the management of household or private affairs" is an archaic definition of the word; it's principle meaning is: thrifty and efficient use of material resources . Since God has no limits on material resources such that they must be used efficiently (though he puts such restrictions on us, which then become ours), how does he really have an economy?

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The bible is kind of an arcane book. It wasn't writen in the modern context.