1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Have the Same nature as Adam. Or All of Us then?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His point has to be more than that, as Adam caused spiritual death to come upon us all, and those now in Christ have spiritual/eternal life now!

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it is a part of Hebrews 5. Jesus the Son is not qualified to be our High Priest except He be one of us (which is the point of verses 5-6). Jesus was not made perfect through suffering except for that office (He was already morally perfect in every way, but the Sonship of Christ does not establish His priesthood....He had to be one of us).

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was made perfect human, a real man, but without any of the taint and damage that resulted from the fall!
    A sinless nature....

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    His point was out hope of a future bodily resurrection . In fact, that is what he said. Read the chapter.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Odd. The Bible says exactly the opposite. I'm not sure where you have read that idea and it's a philosophy I'm really not interested in learning more about. It sounds suspiciously like Docetism.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's nothing but Roman Catholic made up tradition, and it couldn't be any further from the truth. The reason he was born of a virgin was so that he would not have an Earthly father, and therefore would not receive an inheritance from any human. Read Romans 8 and Hebrews 1

• Like Like x 2
  7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Physical death is the only affect we see from Adam. Our spirit come from God, and Adam did not have the power to corrupt that which comes from God

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Along that line of thought, would you say he's only in the likeness of God but not the sameness?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have, and the Apostle is contrasting how one Adam brought the fall upon us, and other eternal/spiritual life...

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, for he is God, but He is also sinless humanity.

11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. The curse of Adam brought physical death. Are you suggesting Jesus didn't actually die?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fall of Adam brought the judgement from God upon all in the likeness of Adam to have the same result, sin natures, save for jesus, due to Virgin Birth.

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dare you to find that in the Bible

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that's actually you, considering you never ever quote any Scripture. It's always just your opinion

• Like Like x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not according to Paul. The explanation you extract one verse from was proving this point - "But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep."

Did you even take the time to read the chapter???

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thinking the same. What @Yeshua1 is suggesting is an old heresy just wrapped in more deceptive language. Saying Jesus was human (but not human like us) is just as much a denial of Christ's humanity as saying Jesus has a divine nature (just not like God) is a denial of His divinity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really believe the discussion of nature has to depend on what the scriptures say. How does Scripture use the word?

18. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. And I believe all those old heresies shared one common faulty foundation.

Every one of them thought it was impossible for a sinless spirit to indwell a sinful body without that Spirit becoming sinful. That has contributed to almost all the error regarding this issue

That's why the Roman Catholics made up the doctrine of Immaculate Conception. They just couldn't understand how the sinless Christ could indwell a sinful body. But they knew that his body at least was descended from Mary who also had a sinful body. Wallah now all of a sudden she's born without a sinful body

But one thing I don't think any of them took into account then or even now, is the indwelling of The Believer by the Holy Spirit. Peter said we become partakers of the divine nature, which means the sinless spirit of God indwells our sinful and corrupt body even today. That doesn't mean the Holy Spirit becomes a sinner

#118 JamesL, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Scriputre best describes nature two ways – “flesh” and “spirit”. That which is born flesh is flesh, and that which is born spirit is spirit. Human nature is the flesh. Christ took upon Himself this nature. It is the desires of the flesh. And there is biblical evidence that this desire is not always in accordance with the will of God (although not sin in itself). For example, Jesus was tempted to satisfy the desires of the flesh in the wilderness but He overcame temptation. He desired in the flesh not to suffer and die, praying that if possible the cup would pass but not His will but the Father’s be done.

Christ took upon Himself human nature when He became flesh - the Logos (the Word, the Life) becoming human. This is the One nature (the Life, spiritual life, the Word) taking on another (human nature). The Catholic Church argued, debated, and developed a philosophy about how these two natures existed without mixture (mostly a philosophical argument). But Scripture does not separate the two natures in Christ. He is God. He is man. And, although the Catholics will always reject the idea, Scripture teaches that God the Son suffered and died a physical death (not suffered “in His human nature”, but suffered).

Until discussing topics on this board I had never realized just how much RCC doctrine undermines much of contemporary Protestant thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I showed,
    • Informative and could have even said agree. Let me ask.
    Because the Word was made flesh would you agree with me that Romans 7:14 could even apply to Jesus?

7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Was Jesus, of the flesh, sold under our sin?

But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born [fn] of a woman, born under the law, Gal 4:4 NKJV

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.