1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did Jesus Really Die For Judas?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed1689, Nov 15, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    oR
    Post your argument then.

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just in case your not sure what context means I copied this from a Dictionary site.
    Context
    The parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning.

So the context of Luk 22:19-20 would be:
    Luk 22:19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me."
    Luk 22:20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.
    Luk 22:21 "But behold, the hand of the one betraying Me is with Mine on the table.

The argument you are trying to make does not hold water as you have clearly not looked at the context of the verses that you quote. I do agree with one thing you said.

But we also must not ignore context which you have done here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Timothy 2:4-6
    who wants all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,
    who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.

It is a wholesale rejection of God's word to claim Christ did not die for all humanity. Those to be saved and those never to be saved.

Peter 2:1
    But false prophets also appeared among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.

Clearly Christ "bought" those heading for swift destruction, thus Christ died for all humanity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    A
    Again, this is the thread I am using, if you would like to post an argument, please do so, I'm not going to go to another thread.

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table. For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!”And they began to question one another, which of them it could be who was going to do this." (Luke 22:14-23)

Note the important words that Jesus uses here, "But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table", which were spoken AFTER Jesus had given Judas the cup representing His blood, and the bread, that represents His death.

Matthew's account has some more details;

"27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (chapter 26)

It is very clear from this, that Judas is also included in the "many" for whom Jesus died. This is also admitted to by John Calvin, where commenting on the same words in Mark's Gospel (14:24), says;

"Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race; for he contrasts many with one; as if he had said, that he will not be the Redeemer of one man only, but will die in order to deliver many from the condemnation of the curse."

It is also very interesting to read what two reformed commentators say on the passage in Luke's Gospel:

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

If, as some argue, that Jesus Christ did not shed His blood for anyone who has gone to hell, then this passage in Luke is incorrect, as it very clearly says that Jesus testifies that He DID shed His blood for Judas, who is called in the Bible, "the son of destruction". Note what Jesus says on the fate of Judas:

"While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled" (John 17:12)

Also, we read of Judas in Acts 1:25, "to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

Peter in his Second Epistle also says, "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction" (2:1). Which shows that there are those for whom Jesus shed His blood, that have ended up in eternal punishment.

It is important to note, that had Jesus not wished to include Judas in His death on the cross, then He would have waited for Judas to have left the room, which was not much later, and then said these words. However, Jesus, Who, as God Incarnate, knowing full well that Judas was about to betray Him, and that Judas would not be going to heaven for his treachery, made sure that Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine, that represent Jesus' death on the cross. Moreover, Jesus speaks the same words recorded above, in the hearing of Judas.

7. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes let's focus on Calvin. Did not say individuals, said human race. All people groups, Jew and Gentile. If you read all of Calvin you would know this but you take him out of context.

Second,You focus on one account of the last Supper and leave out others. It is highly debatable that Judas was even there for the bread and the cup. In John's account, as soon as Judas was shown to be the one that would betray Christ he left.

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you for real? Your OWN OP is about Jesus dying for Judas, and you misquote Luke! :eek:

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The whole world, everyone without exception, is made up of two, Jews and Gentiles. If you are not the one, then you are the other, unless you are from another planet!

Calvin on

Romans 5:18;

“He makes this favor common to all, because it is propounded to all, and not because it is in reality extended to all; for though Christ suffered for the sins of the whole world, and is offered through God's benignity indiscriminately to all, yet all do not receive him”

John 1:29;

Who taketh away the sin of the world. He uses the word sin in the singular number, for any kind of iniquity; as if he had said, that every kind of unrighteousness which alienates men from God is taken away by Christ. And when he says, the sin Of The World, he extends this favor indiscriminately to the whole human race; that the Jews might not think that he had been sent to them alone. But hence we infer that the whole world is involved in the same condemnation; and that as all men without exception are guilty of unrighteousness before God, they need to be reconciled to him. John the Baptist, therefore, by speaking generally of the sin of the world, intended to impress upon us the conviction of our own misery, and to exhort us to seek the remedy. Now our duty is, to embrace the benefit which is offered to all, that each of us may be convinced that there is nothing to hinder him from obtaining reconciliation in Christ, provided that he comes to him by the guidance of faith.”

Colossians 1:14

He says that this redemption was procured through the blood of Christ, for by the sacrifice of his death all the sins of the world have been expiated

WHAT is taken out of context?

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    so, according to you, there is an obvious contradiction between the Gospel Accounts on the Lord's Supper!

At least Reformed theologians like Henry and Gill are honest enough to admit, that Judas did take part in this Supper, even though it goes against their personal theology!

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    A rather bold and foolish statement to make, as the FACTS actually prove you to be WRONG! As I have said, there is either a contradiction with the 4 Gospel Accounts, or there is complete agreement.

Dr A T Robertson, the Greek scholar says:

That betrayeth (tou paradidontos). Present active participle, actually engaged in doing it. The hand of Judas was resting on the table at the moment. It should be noted that Luke narrates the institution of the Lord’s Supper before the exposure of Judas as the traitor while Mark and Matthew reverse this order.

Different reporting, but zero contradcition!

12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know that?
    Rom_5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Was Judas not a sinner?
    Rom_6:10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all... Was Judas part of a special group and not part of ALL? Would he not be included with all the others that died prior to the resurrection of Christ Jesus?
    1Pe_3:18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust... Judas would fit into the unjust group don't you think?

What I find in the bible is that Christ Jesus died for the sinners, the unjust. Was Judas part of those, YES. So if anyone should be rethinking their comment it would be you.

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you see, in the full account of the last supper, that Judas was not included?

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't understand what the big deal is about whether Judas partook or not. IMO, you covered it right here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    But unsaved people never had Jesus Christ THE Saviour, tell them, that He was going to the cross to die for them, and personally give them the Bread and Wine that represents His Body and Blood on the cross! So, it is a VERY BIG point!

16. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Reformed1689 :
    No, He did not die for Judas, as the Scripture clearly tells us:

1) Judas was a devil ( John 6:70-71 ), meaning that he was not one of God's children, but was like those that the Lord described here:

" Why do ye not understand my speech? [even] because ye cannot hear my word.
    44 Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
    45 And because I tell [you] the truth, ye believe me not.
    46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
    47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear [them] not, because ye are not of God.
    "

2) Judas went to his own place ( Acts of the Apostles 1:15-20 ), which was prophesied of him in Psalms 41:9 and Psalms 109:5-8.
    We also see in John 17:11-12, Judas was lost specifically to fulfill those Scriptures, and is called "the son of perdition".
    In addition, in John 13:10-30 the Lord tells the 12 that they are clean, but not all of them:

" Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash [his] feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
    11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean." ( John 13:10-11 ).

"Clean" is the Bible's description for someone who is spiritually cleansed ( or purified, Titus 2:14, or "washed", Revelation 1:5 ) in the eyes of God by Jesus' blood...1 John 1:7-9, Psalms 51:2, Ezekiel 36:25-26, 1 Corinthians 6:11:

" And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God."

Whoever is washed, whoever is sanctified ( cleansed or purified ) is justified in the eyes of the Lord and are His elect.

Judas was not one of God's elect, or he would not have been lost, spiritually, per John 6:39...
    But that he was given to the Lord Jesus physically, there can be no doubt per John 17:12.

3) Jesus said He only gave His life for the sheep ( Matthew 1:21, John 10:11, John 10:15 ).
    Regardless of whether or not Judas was at the table ( which, according to Luke 22:21, he was there, and his hand was on the table with Him ), the Lord Jesus, again, only gave His life for the sheep.

Therefore, per Romans 9:22-24 and many others, I conclude that Judas was a vessel of wrath fitted to destruction,
    and the Lord Jesus did not give His life for him, neither was Judas cleansed by His blood on the cross in the eyes of God.

He did not love the Lord, or he would never have betrayed Him.
    He was never foreknown, predestinated, called, justified or glorified per Romans 8:28-30.
    He was not reconciled to God by the death of His Son per Romans 5:10,
    neither was he forgiven of all of His trespasses per Colossians 2:13-14.

To me, "The Judas Conundrum" is not a conundrum at all, once it is examined in the light of all that the Lord says about who Judas was, what he was intended to fulfill by God, and who ( and how special ) Christ's sheep are to Him.

#56 Dave G, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    You type so much but actually say nothing :Biggrin

18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because you aren't understanding where I'm coming from, SBG.
    Read it again, my friend, and pay close attention to the word of God that I referenced.

Judas was not clean, he was a devil, and the son of perdition.
    In that last part, his destiny was already decided by God, as all of our places are ( Romans 9:14-24 ).

Per John 17:12, he was lost for a specific purpose...which no one of God's elect could ever be.

#58 Dave G, Nov 15, 2021
  19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    the OP has already been dealt with Jesus Christ Shed His Blood for Judas

further, read my comments in Reformed1689 thread here, to see why what you say is wrong.

20. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I respect your opinion, but I don't share it.

Furthermore ( and with all due respect ), you telling me that I'm wrong carries about as much authority as me telling you the same.
    To me, you and I are mere men and stand equally before God on any matter.

At the end of the day,
    what you believe and teach, and what I believe and teach, are up for review by the Lord...
    and He will judge between us when we see Him.

Good evening to you, and I wish you well, as always.

#60 Dave G, Nov 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.