1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Divorce, Remarriage and Preaching

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sola Scriptura, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mainly due to the truth that God never required married only to apply for Pastoring
    And think that the Greek would be more towards th idea of pul addressing pologomy, not if single/married ste!

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And where do you find that in the Bible?

And how do you exegete that from δει ουν τον επισκοπον ανεπιληπτον ειναι μιας γυναικος ανδρα νηφαλιον σωφρονα κοσμιον φιλοξενον διδακτικον?

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why against concept of a singleman bein Pastor, fo those whom the Lord calls, He enables, correct?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't seem to be able to answer any of the questions I ask you. Every answer seems to be the same, "because I think so." That is not an exegetical answer. If that is all you have then we have nothing more to discuss.

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Inane comment edited] Is anyone going to answer my questions? What is wrong with a divorced man becoming a open air preacher? They do not run background checks with this profession.

#65 evangelist6589, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2016
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anything is wrong with open air preaching it is not that the preacher is divorced. The only thing I can think of in terms of preaching applies to our witness in general. That is, we are to live holy lives, to be salt and light. A divorced preacher may find it difficult preaching a gospel that his life, depending on circumstances, may not necessarily reflect (or may be a barrier to those he is trying to reach). That said, Paul persecuted the Church before he was saved and God used him greatly.

Insofar as your situation, I believe you need to slow down, stay in God's word, and take some time. You have had a difficult year. I do think that a recently divorced or separated man may be forgiven long before being restored to a preaching role. It's like on an airplane. In an emergency you put your mask on first, otherwise you wont be able to help others.

• Like Like x 1
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How can you tell people that God is the answer to their sin when you have disobeyed Him and left your wife for no good Biblical reason? I'm sure people on the street won't know about the skeleton in your closet but God knows and God knows your heart. I would not be so quick to do something in ministry when my own life was a wreck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not disagree with your comments.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A guy at church has been divorced as a Christian and he teaches the men sometimes.

10. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does that have to do with you and your circumstances?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 3:2-7 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Titus 1:5-9 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you would set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.

1 Peter 5:1-4 Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

If I understand Y1 correctly, what he is pointing out is that those qualifications listed do not prescribe that a man must be married in order to pastor. This is found in several places. In 1 Timothy 3 the qualifications are stated in terms of morality (above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, etc.). Were it a requirement, it is illogical that Paul would have encouraged those single to remain so in order to dedicate themselves fully to God. In principle, I also doubt that Paul himself would have failed to meet the requirements set forth to pastor, and Paul was single. And lest we forget, if marriage is a prequalification then so also is having children. I can see how both marriage and having children under your authority can demonstrate how you would manage a household. But I agree with Y1 that this requirement is not one suggesting a man marry before ministry, and instead is a prohibition against ungodliness (in terms of marriage Paul is dealing with polygamy, and in the case of managing a family he is speaking of those unable to manage a household being unable to manage a church).

The question of the OP is if a divorced man meets the biblical qualifications of pastor. In the passages above (two mention being a husband of one wife) I believe the disqualification is not divorce but polygamy. I understand that many will interpret divorce (at least an “unbiblical” divorce) to be just that. It would have been simple for Paul to indicate that husbands who have divorced their wives are disqualified. Instead he states that to be qualified a man must be a husband to one wife. I believe this means exactly what it says.

BUT a divorced man may still be disqualified based on those passages. Was the divorce on the grounds that Scripture permits such action? Was it before the man believed? Was it a sin repented of? How long ago was the divorce? What were the circumstances? All of these become factors (just like any other questionable issue in the man’s life) because the pastor is to be respectful, beyond reproach, and have a good reputation outside the church.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure. He is a teacher and I am a street evangelist. Different ministries.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be the circumstances were very different, including the amount of time that has passed.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, a divorce indicates a breech of a marriage contract as well as a violation of scripture:

Matthew 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

In the case of a Christian who is also a preacher as has been mentioned already - a life witness is to be considered.
    Personally I have been with my wife as my life partner for over 50 years and she is my one and only and I say this just so no one wonders.

But if it were me and I became the husband/partner of more than one woman (apart from being a widower) then I would probably recuse myself from preaching (but probably not from teaching).

Marriage reflects the union of Jesus Christ and His bride of which there is only one, now and forever. Even in the event of being blameless in a divorce (infidelity and/or abandonment by the spouse) there has been a breech of scripture and a wound. The perpetrator of the breech might not be evident.

Then, in the event of blamelessness on the preacher husband's part could not the wife have been forgiven (assuming it is/was a viable option) to avoid the public breech and a proclaiming witness to divorce?

Forgiveness out of agape-love is life's greatest virtue.

In any case divorce is ugly and leaves behind its wounded. Not a good witness for those whom He has called to preach the gospel or shepherd the sheep.

HankD

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite possible. Regardless I do not seek a pastor position, nor to teach as I am a street evangelist.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats not the point.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not following you.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re-read post # 67

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My life is not a wreck. On the dating sites and I filter it out so I see only christians. I see that TONS of people have been divorced before. This does not make it right but proves my point that there is forgiveness and hope after divorce.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    THAT IS THE LAST THING YOU SHOULD BE DOING RIGHT NOW !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.