Do you consume alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 17, 2013.

?
  1. Yes....but, only when I need it to take the edge off!

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. No....

38 vote(s)
    58.5%
  3. Wine...wine coolers....

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. Beer...

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Whisky....hard liquor

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  6. Mixed drinks

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  7. Cocktails....

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. None of yours, or anyone elses business....

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. I used to drink....am a member of AA!

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. Drinking is not unbiblical....I drink in moderation!

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Priscilla Ann Member

My experience has been the same as yours; I'm 55 years old and have been drinking moderately since I was in my 20's -- usually just a light beer. I've never had a problem with it. My parents drank moderately also; I never saw either of my parents drink too much or behave inappropriately. They taught me to make wise choices and to be responsible, and my husband and I taught our son the same.

2. Inspector Javert Active Member

3. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. HisWitness New Member

or a Cigarette ??? its a addicting drug also--lets add these ??

5. Inspector Javert Active Member

6. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can be addicting, yes, just like sugar, fatty foods, coffee, etc.

7. Winman Active Member

Can we all agree that drinking flaming shots is a bad idea?

8. HisWitness New Member

kinda called fulfilling the lusts and desires of the flesh

9. Zaac Well-Known Member

SO just 38.98% say no. 40.67% if you include the one who used to drink and is now in AA.

That's sad and I suspect the number would go significantly lower if everyone on the board voted.

10. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see it as 60% who understand what the Bible has to say about alcohol.

11. HisWitness New Member

or whats the difference in drinking 4 beers and having drugs pumped into you at the hospital that makes you wacky high(for pain)

the only difference is that 4 beers might offend your brother if he finds out and the drugs for pain at the hospital is considered a normal thing ??

I don't see anything wrong with it in moderation--but if it offends and kills my weaker brother--then its best to stay away from it :love2::love2::love2:

12. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see 67.57% saying, No, they don't consume alcohol. That means that only 32.43% consume alcohol, or less than a third. If you count the one person that quit drinking the number is 70.27% do not drink alcohol. (this could change as more people participate.)

Remember, multiple responses are possible if you say you drink, so you cannot simply add up the yes votes and get a number.

13. HisWitness New Member

Noah must not have seen anything wrong with it--he got drunk after they got off the ark--and was uncovered and his son seen his nakedness.

Did God condemn Noah for his getting drunk(although I think its wrong today-moderation only for today)NO God didn't condemn Noah

God condemned his Son for seeing his nakedness and doing a horrible thing.

14. PeterM Member

To think that there are people who associate the NE and west coast of the USA as "evil" because of a particular political bent is both ludicrous and about as anti-intellectual I've ever heard/read. This thinking presupposes that "conservative" thinking is biblical and is therefore what God must be.

I was born in NW New Jersey, moved to SE Florida when I was 10... from there I went to Chicago for 5 years and now reside in SW Tennessee where I have been for the last 10 years. I have family all over the country and I travelled extensively both in and out of the US, to connect with them and for ministry and missions. Of all the places I've been and people I've met, I have concluded that the "Bible-belt" is no more "Christian" or biblical than anywhere else. It's definitely more religious, but just as there is cultural Catholicism, there is also cultural evangelicalism.

Just because you wrap darkness up in the politeness, patriotism, and conservative politics of the south doesn't make it any more biblically sound than anywhere else. I would argue that aside from some specific cultural and dietary differences, there really much difference in any region of the US. The south is just as "dark" as the NE.

BTW, I don't consume alcohol. Not because I believe it to be sinful, but because I have alcoholism/addiction on both my mom's and dad's side. Both of my grandfathers drank themselves to death and left a wake of destruction behind them. I would prefer not to follow in their footsteps.

15. Zaac Well-Known Member

And what does the Bible say about drinking alcohol in moderation?

16. Zaac Well-Known Member

Those percentages are wrong based on the actual number of votes unless voters can vote for multiple replies. About 38% said no.

17. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sure hope your Biblical interpretation is better than your poll results interpretation. 38 people have voted in the poll. 25 have said "No". Multiple responses are allowed.

18. Zaac Well-Known Member

I did say unless because I wasn't sure. :laugh:

19. Ed B Member

I voted for the last "in moderation" choice. I drink occasionally and have tried red wines in the evening to see if it would help with chronic insomnia (it didn't help me) and for the general health benefits. I don't particularly like it so I quit red wines. Occasionally I will drink one or two beers but not regularly, and I stick to that limit when I do.

20. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reasoning that infects your posts on this board leads one to conclude some kind of injury to, or defect in, the core of your central nervous system that apparently affects the processing of some of the information from your tastebuds.

I don't think your experience is a valid sample.